Hacking SD2VITA as ux0 and Sony Memory Card as uma0

pharredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
confused as to how to accomplish this...my micro sd card in my SD2VITA is the only one showing up in vitashell and I have no access to my 16 GB Sony card which I would like to use in conjunction with my micro sd.

I found this http://wololo.net/2017/07/20/setting-sd2vita-adapter-formatting-microsd-can-done-windows/
but the link to the drivers no longer exist.

Is it worth the effort to get both cards functioning and putting games on both cards? I've read that there are issues with saving in games and was wondering if this is still an issue. The extra 16 GB would be nice as my micro sd is already full.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
https://github.com/CelesteBlue-dev/PSVita-StorageMgr is an alternative to the gamesd plugin.
This can be configured to mount the sd2vita microsd and/or the official sony mem card in different ways, including the one you want which is likely the most common.

As to if its worth it to use both cards, personally I just use a 200GB microsd but I guess its just personal preference. A lot of people use microsd as ux0 for games and vita mem card as uma0 to store ROMs for emulators.

The issue with saving (after the vita has been in sleep mode) is related to the game dumping method used (in short: use nonpdrm dumps to avoid it): https://gist.github.com/yifanlu/bcc8ebb102704ae136c650a912c6f70c

Edit: got distracted at work, WeedZ beat me to it :)

Reactions: pharredd and WeedZ

pharredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
https://github.com/CelesteBlue-dev/PSVita-StorageMgr is an alternative to the gamesd plugin.
This can be configured to mount the sd2vita microsd and/or the official sony mem card in different ways, including the one you want which is likely the most common.

As to if its worth it to use both cards, personally I just use a 200GB microsd but I guess its just personal preference. A lot of people use microsd as ux0 for games and vita mem card as uma0 to store ROMs for emulators.

The issue with saving (after the vita has been in sleep mode) is related to the game dumping method used (in short: use nonpdrm dumps to avoid it): https://gist.github.com/yifanlu/bcc8ebb102704ae136c650a912c6f70c

Edit: got distracted at work, WeedZ beat me to it :)

Thanks! I appreciate you actually taking the time to reply especially considering you're at work.

I'm aware of that sleep mode save issue as it happened to me back when I used mai dumps. I now use nonpdrm's and have yet to run into that problem. I thought there was an entirely different issue with saves when using both memory cards at the same time so thanks for clearing that up for me.

I actually use ur0 for my roms but only have about 1.5 gigs to work with so using that extra memory card would be perfect especially since I couldn't fit any gba roms.

Speaking of GBA roms...would you by any chance know of any GBA emulators that run games perfectly (or near perfectly)? I tried a couple (mGBA and and gPSP I believe) but both had a bunch of sound issues that turned me off unless they got updates that corrected this issue.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't emulate GBA that much on my vita (have an ags-101 with a flashcart in the same drawer), but I believe the vba-next core in (vita mode) retroarch is the one most people use.

pharredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't emulate GBA that much on my vita (have an ags-101 with a flashcart in the same drawer), but I believe the vba-next core in (vita mode) retroarch is the one most people use.

thanks, will give that a try

one last question
what is the difference between the memory in ur0 vs the internal 1 GB memory? I always thought ur0 was the internal memory (this is where I had put all my roms in) and now I have another extra gig available for storage (not that I'm complaining)

Last edited by pharredd,
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thanks, will give that a try

one last question
what is the difference between the memory in ur0 vs the internal 1 GB memory? I always thought ur0 was the internal memory (this is where I had put all my roms in) and now I have another extra gig available for storage (not that I'm complaining)

There are multiple mounts (partitions) located on the internal flash memory.
ur0: is one, the internal 1GB that acts as a memory card in vita2k/pstv (imc0: i think) is another.
There's a list of them all here (you dont want to mess with any of the others): https://wiki.henkaku.xyz/vita/SceIofilemgr#Mount_Points

On the vita 1k sony allocated 2.5GB to UR0, on 2k/pstv they took 1GB of it and used it separately for the internal 1GB 'memory card' if no actual mem card is inserted.
https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/789732781580582912?p=v

Personally I dont use ur0 for anything other than storing taihen plugins and configuring ur0:tai/config.txt, everything else goes on the ux0 sd2vita. As long as you leave some free space and make sure you dont delete anything system related I guess its fine to put ROMs there.

Last edited by Count Duckula,
Reactions: pharredd

Priestiality

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of GBA roms...would you by any chance know of any GBA emulators that run games perfectly (or near perfectly)? I tried a couple (mGBA and and gPSP I believe) but both had a bunch of sound issues that turned me off unless they got updates that corrected this issue.

Yes, the VBA Next core is the way to go. The gpSP core is slow and has audio issues. VBA Next pulls 59-60 fps in every game I've tested with it (Castlevania and Metroid games mostly) and the audio sync is good. I've heard mixed reviews of mGBA on Adrenaline but have no experience with it myself. As for other emulators, NES and Genesis work fine with Retroarch. SNES is hit or miss depending on game and core. Snes9x 2005 and Snes9x 2005 Plus seem to work the best. None of them have good audio compatibility, but I was able to get Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG playing at 60 fps.

Reactions: pharredd

pharredd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, the VBA Next core is the way to go. The gpSP core is slow and has audio issues. VBA Next pulls 59-60 fps in every game I've tested with it (Castlevania and Metroid games mostly) and the audio sync is good. I've heard mixed reviews of mGBA on Adrenaline but have no experience with it myself. As for other emulators, NES and Genesis work fine with Retroarch. SNES is hit or miss depending on game and core. Snes9x 2005 and Snes9x 2005 Plus seem to work the best. None of them have good audio compatibility, but I was able to get Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG playing at 60 fps.

I installed this specific version of snes9x2005 (non-plus) that has pretty much perfect compatibility with no sound issues...I can't remember where I got it from but remember someone recommending it from either this forum or on reddit

Edit: just checked it's snes9x 2005 v1.36 just in case you want to give it a try

Last edited by pharredd,
Reactions: Priestiality

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.