SEGA Genesis Collection revealed for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC

SGC.jpg

SEGA will be bringing a new collection of old games to the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in the form of another Genesis Collection. While the company hasn't formally announced the game yet, an announcement trailer went live on their YouTube (now deleted), and press images were leaked of the boxart. In the trailer, games like Sonic 1, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, ToeJam and Earl, Ristar, and other classic Genesis titles were shown off in what will be an assortment of over 50 games. It's not currently known if Backbone Entertainment, the team who made the Genesis Collection on PS3/360, will be involved in this version. It's scheduled to release on May 29, 2018. Notably, there was no mention of a Nintendo Switch version.

:arrow: Trailer Mirror Link

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This collection might not matter much for nintendo switch owners if virtual console comes out for the system.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope their emulator doesn't suck this time around :P

The Saturn is extremely hard to emulate.

This is true, but Sonic Gems Collection on the Gamecube and PS2 played Sonic R properly without issue, surely a few other Saturn games could be emulated this well in a similar way, I'd have to imagine that Sonic R isn't the only game capable of this.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
This is true, but Sonic Gems Collection on the Gamecube and PS2 played Sonic R properly without issue, surely a few other Saturn games could be emulated this well in a similar way, I'd have to imagine that Sonic R isn't the only game capable of this.
Sonic R on that particular Gamecube game was a port of the PC version of the game, not the Saturn version.

Reactions: cvskid

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic R on that particular Gamecube game was a port of the PC version of the game, not the Saturn version.

Well whatever, the game was ported from Saturn to PC, and then from PC to PS2 and Gamecube, surely something similar could be done for today's modern hardware.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Included games:

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Well whatever, the game was ported from Saturn to PC, and then from PC to PS2 and Gamecube, surely something similar could be done for today's modern hardware.
I mean, unless you have the source code of the Saturn game you want to port, no you really can't. The PC port wasn't just running on a Saturn emulator on PC hardware from the 90s, it was completely ported over to Windows. If you have the source code for various Saturn games just sitting around somewhere, then sure, the same thing could be done. Otherwise you're gonna need a Saturn emulator, which is fairly difficult to code because of the way the Saturn was designed.

D

Deleted User

The Saturn is an absolute nightmare to emulate. SEGA, after seeing the PlayStation, started freaking out and hastily slapped on 3D capabilities to what was originally supposed to be a 2D-only system. As a result, the console was architectually a mess, and trying to emulate it is even more of a mess.

The Sonic CD port in Gems was also a port of the PC Version IIRC. This lead to some weird bugs with the water color in Tidal Tempest. Which leads into the next point...

SEGA's kind of bad about keeping the source code and assets to their video games (heck, they lost the original Sonic 1 prototype because of this), so, chances are, if they wanted to include some Saturn games in the collection, they'd have to recreate them from scratch, or port over existing ports of Saturn titles like NiGHTS or Radiant Silvergun, assuming they even still have the source for those games.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Included games:

• Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Ristar
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2

Here's hoping Alien Soldier is the Japanese version (which has English), and runs at 60 Hz. The Steam version stupidly uses the PAL version, despite both versions being in English, why, I don't know. They couldn't even emulate the YM2612 properly on Steam :lol: The fact unofficial emulators got it right is sad.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Included games:

• Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Ristar
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2

Cool lineup and all, but ehhhh, I’ve already got 9/10 of these. Was hoping for something a bit more obscure.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, unless you have the source code of the Saturn game you want to port, no you really can't. The PC port wasn't just running on a Saturn emulator on PC hardware from the 90s, it was completely ported over to Windows. If you have the source code for various Saturn games just sitting around somewhere, then sure, the same thing could be done. Otherwise you're gonna need a Saturn emulator, which is fairly difficult to code because of the way the Saturn was designed.

... you don't believe that SEGA has any of the source codes for any of their Saturn games?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
... you don't believe that SEGA has any of the source codes for any of their Saturn games?
SEGA's kind of bad about keeping the source code and assets to their video games (heck, they lost the original Sonic 1 prototype because of this), so, chances are, if they wanted to include some Saturn games in the collection, they'd have to recreate them from scratch, or port over existing ports of Saturn titles like NiGHTS or Radiant Silvergun, assuming they even still have the source for those games.
See ^

They might have the source sitting around for games they've already ported from the Saturn, but Saturn exclusives? Probably not as many as you'd think.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See ^

They might have the source sitting around for games they've already ported from the Saturn, but Saturn exclusives? Probably not as many as you'd think.
But some of the modern sega Saturn emulators run sega Saturn games very well. why can't they use those?

D

Deleted User

But some of the modern sega Saturn emulators run sega Saturn games very well. why can't they use those?
Licensing issues, most likely.

Besides, I don't trust SEGA's in-house emulator devs ever since I heard that they thought making an emulator in Unity was a good idea.

Reactions: kingtut

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned by Bepis, licensing issues. Most emulators use GPL or other non-commercial licenses. If Sega decided to just use an emulator that are under these licenses, then they would either have to give the games away for free, or provide the source code for their products released using those emulators. Both are, obviously, never going to happen. The last option is that Sega creates their own Saturn emulator, which is unlikely to be any kind of good whatsoever since Sega is real shit at developing their own emulators.

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned by Bepis, licensing issues. Most emulators use GPL or other non-commercial licenses. If Sega decided to just use an emulator that are under these licenses, then they would either have to give the games away for free, or provide the source code for their products released using those emulators. Both are, obviously, never going to happen. The last option is that Sega creates their own Saturn emulator, which is unlikely to be any kind of good whatsoever since Sega is real shit at developing their own emulators.

I guess that explains why we keep getting the ps1 version of mega man 8 in collections, despite the Saturn version being superior

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See ^

Well it's really not even a question of specific Saturn ports, just whatever good ones they still have source codes for that they could port, surely they could put even one Saturn game on such a collection. That guy's one example doesn't seem like proof enough to me that the entire Saturn library or even most of the Saturn library is missing its source codes.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That explains why their Genesis emulation is utter garbage on Steam, it uses a heavily modified licensed version of Gens, and frankly, the sound is just awful. Writing an emulator from scratch would require conceited effort on Sega's part, and we all know that'll never happen :lol: Too bad Steve Snake never licensed out Kega Fusion, as that would have been a helluva lot better.

Ever tried playing Alien Soldier on Steam? Not only did they use the emulate at the wrong speed, but the audio is a broken mess, like, constant ear rape.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2: