SEGA teases some gameplay footage for Sonic Frontiers in new teaser trailer

SEGA has been very tight-lipped throughout the development of Sonic Frontiers, their upcoming open-world entry that will take the long-running franchise in a supposedly vastly new direction. With June upon us, game companies are ready to show off their projects, and among them will be SEGA, finally giving us an update on the game. A 30-second teaser video was uploaded today, giving fans something to get them hooked prior to the full showcase. In the video, Sonic is shown running around a large landscape, fighting enemies, grinding on rails, and even going up against a giant robot boss.

News outlet IGN is promising exclusive coverage as June goes on, with the next teaser to be revealed tomorrow, at 9am PST.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
After watching, I'm just left feeling 'meh'.

I think parts of that come down to the last two Sonic Team games being 'ok on a technical level, but 'meh' in terms of gameplay' and the rumoured 'open world' aspects which personally I find can become boring quick.

Hopefully I'm wrong but the trailer just isn't helping.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does look cool and fluid tbh, the realistic setting is not that bad from the looks of this footage.. Probably this'll become what Sonic '06 should've been..

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gotta say, Sonic does not look like he belongs in that environment, the art style really feels like it's conflicting with what Sonic games are meant to look like. Like say what you will about Lost World, but that art style felt undeniably Sonic. This feels like a non-celshaded BOTW mod that has replaced Link with Sonic. Gameplay may still be great, but I'm not crazy about this art style for a Sonic game.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The choice of music didn't fit the action at all.

I’m wondering if they just cobbled the trailer together using what they had lying around so they could give IGN something.

Are we about to repeat 5 years ago where the 'new' side classic Sonic title ends up being better than the new mainline 3D modern title?

Gets worse, Origins just remakes/releases of the MD/Gen games…..and I’m still more excited for it.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we about to repeat 5 years ago where the 'new' side classic Sonic title ends up being better than the new mainline 3D modern title?
Yeah, except this time the side classic Sonic game is literally just rereleases of old games.
It will still be much more enjoyable than Frontiers.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gets worse, Origins just remakes/releases of the MD/Gen games…..and I’m still more excited for it.
Yeah I know, but it's not like Mania was all that 'new' itself. I mean I love Mania, but a lot of it just retreads zones from the original classics as it is. In a lot of ways it just feels like it could end up being a parallel situation, that's all.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know, but it's not like Mania was all that 'new' itself. I mean I love Mania, but a lot of it just retreads zones from the original classics as it is. In a lot of ways it just feels like it could end up being a parallel situation, that's all.
For as much as it retreads old ground (which I'd say it does pretty well, the remixed act 2 zones were great)
I'd say it's still the best Sonic game since 3&K by a sizable margin.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that music tho. Hope they can make a new Sonic Adventure with this cus this looks promising.
Sonic Adventure 1-2 were good games, but overhyped and overrated.

There were so many times Sonic went thru the walls and I didn't want that.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Adventure 1-2 were good games, but overhyped and overrated.

There were so many times Sonic went thru the walls and I didn't want that.
I don't have the nostalgia for Sonic Adventure everyone else does, and honestly they just aren't good games. I get why people might be attached to the iconic story elements from those games or what have you, but the gameplay just does not work well at all.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For as much as it retreads old ground (which I'd say it does pretty well, the remixed act 2 zones were great)
I'd say it's still the best Sonic game since 3&K by a sizable margin.
Oh, Mania is probably my favorite Sonic game ever honestly. But I'd have to be turning a blind eye to ignore how few brand new zones it actually introduced. That's why I really want a Mania 2 with only new stage locations.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34