Hardware SFANS has changed their backers design into a dock without asking!

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 15,876
  • Replies 171
D

Deleted-355425

Definitely a change for the better from the generic Chinese cell phone adapter they were reselling here. Plus if you back anything in crowdfunding, you should always be prepared for the final design to change, but as long as it still has all the promised features (which it seems to here), then I fail to see the issue.

Its nothing like the original product and won’t let you use your switch how they sold it before their campaign was successfully funded. Your opinion on which is better doesn’t matter. We could of bought this design cheaper months back from someone who already had one. Their reasoning behind this radical unwanted change was ‘amazon sell lots of docks’.

Unacceptable.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nothing like the original product and won’t let you use your switch how they sold it before their campaign was successfully funded. Your opinion on which is better doesn’t matter. We could of bought this design cheaper months back from someone who already had one. Their reasoning behind this radical unwanted change was ‘amazon sell lots of docks’.

Unacceptable.

How is it nothing like the original product? The only difference is how it connects to the Switch: it connecting right to the device or through a cord to connect to the device. They were even pointlessly selling a stand alongside that rebranded Chinese cell-phone adapter. I'm failing to see the issue here. And again, none of that matters, you're utilizing crowd-funding where its a known fact that the prototypes are never guaranteed to be final. Sorry, but if you're upset, you only have yourself to blame for using a crowd-funding platform and not having done more research before you made your investment in what that could mean in terms of what the final product may end up looking like.

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: TheCyberQuake

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Its still wrong to just change the design like that, it should have been either its own project or given as an option.

People may argue its a better design, but unless the old design was broken in some way theyre handling it badly.

If I had backed this, I would have an item which no longer suits my needs as the places I regular visit arent suitable for the dock due to the layout of the furniture/tv.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-355425

Its still wrong to just change the design like that, it should have been either its own project or given as an option.

People may argue its a better design, but unless the old design was broken in some way theyre handling it badly.

If I had backed this, I would have an item which no longer suits my needs as the places I regular visit arent suitable for the dock due to the layout of the furniture/tv.

This man gets it, people purchased this because they couldn’t use the dock and wanted to adapter they originally asked for.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How is it nothing like the original product? The only difference is how it connects to the Switch: it connecting right to the device or through a cord to connect to the device. They were even pointlessly selling a stand alongside that rebranded Chinese cell-phone adapter. I'm failing to see the issue here. And again, none of that matters, you're utilizing crowd-funding where its a known fact that the prototypes are never guaranteed to be final. Sorry, but if you're upset, you only have yourself to blame for using a crowd-funding platform and not having done more research before you made your investment in what that could mean in terms of what the final product may end up looking like.

You’re still wrong and using your opinion as reason to be perfectly fine with a product that no longer functions how the original was sold. It wasn’t a prototype when it was successfully funded. They gave a design, we bought it and they changed it without asking.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’re still wrong and using your opinion as reason to be perfectly fine with a product that no longer functions how the original was sold. It wasn’t a prototype when it was successfully funded. They gave a design, we bought it and they changed it without asking.

Its not my opinion that crowdfunding sites are known to show off prototypes and that when you fund any project on there you should be aware that the product is not finalized. If you're not familiar with how crowdfunding sites function, then this is an educational experience for you. Learn from it and be more cautious utilizing sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo in the future.

D

Deleted-355425

Its not my opinion that crowdfunding sites are known to show off prototypes and that when you fund any project on there you should be aware that the product is not finalized. If you're not familiar with how crowdfunding sites function, then this is an educational experience for you. Learn from it and be more cautious utilizing sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo in the future.

I was saying it’s your opinion that the new product is fine.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was saying it’s your opinion that the new product is fine.

K, but that point doesn't matter anyway. So ignore my opinion all you want, you just need to understand how crowd funding sites function, you can be upset, but the people at SFANS aren't doing anything unheard of for the crowdfunding platforms, in fact its very common.

D

Deleted-355425

K, but that point doesn't matter anyway. So ignore my opinion all you want, you just need to understand how crowd funding sites function, you can be upset, but the people at SFANS aren't doing anything unheard of for the crowdfunding platforms, in fact its very common.

I know how they function but it doesn’t mean poeople cannot voice their opinion and complaints.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how they function but it doesn’t mean poeople cannot voice their opinion and complaints.

I guess, but you keep saying its unacceptable. And I don't see why not, its a normal thing that happens and should be anticipated. If you don't want to take a chance on a crowdfunded project not being exactly what they initially showed off, then you shouldn't fund the project. The way one should be viewing crowdfunding projects is that "I like the idea, understand that things may change from here to the final product, but have faith in the project enough that I will risk an investment in hopes that they deliver a quality product hopefully one that looks like what they're showing off in their prototype." With that kind of mentality, you'd be prepared for the reality of crowd-funding sites and be able to view what has happened here as perhaps not "acceptable" but understandable.

D

Deleted-355425

The sellers are sleezy and obviously had this planned from the start hence the 2 delays. Indigogo have emailed me back and said they are getting in touch with the seller over this.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess, but you keep saying its unacceptable. And I don't see why not, its a normal thing that happens and should be anticipated. If you don't want to take a chance on a crowdfunded project not being exactly what they initially showed off, then you shouldn't fund the project. The way one should be viewing crowdfunding projects is that "I like the idea, understand that things may change from here to the final product, but have faith in the project enough that I will risk an investment in hopes that they deliver a quality product hopefully one that looks like what they're showing off in their prototype." With that kind of mentality, you'd be prepared for the reality of crowd-funding sites and be able to view what has happened here as perhaps not "acceptable" but understandable.

This sounds more like a kickscammer project.

Ive backed stuff in the past and they did change the design, but they were minor ones e.g. a change in materials, but they were communicated well in advance and the overall product was the same.

I know what crowdfunding is and I acknowledge they’re a gamble (just ask the mighty number 9 backers or the icontrolpad 2 backers), but Just because something is crowdfunded is no excuse for sleazy behaviour to backers and they should be called out on it.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, this is clearly a rebranded CForce CF001. Check out the CForce CF001 and CF002 on Amazon.
^This. If the backers can get their money back then they can just order the CForce. at least that won't spontaneously change design and functionally between you paying and when it is shipped.

Also they could have retained the dongle functionality along with the dock if they added a USB C dock passthough connector and supplied a USB C cable for it. that would allow the "Creepy Cable" to be detachable instead of ditching it all together.

Last edited by driverdis,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds more like a kickscammer project.

Ive backed stuff in the past and they did change the design, but they were minor ones e.g. a change in materials, but they were communicated well in advance and the overall product was the same.

I know what crowdfunding is and I acknowledge they’re a gamble (just ask the mighty number 9 backers or the icontrolpad 2 backers), but Just because something is crowdfunded is no excuse for sleazy behaviour to backers and they should be called out on it.

A change in design just doesn't feel like inherently sleazy behavior to me. And even if you do find this behavior sleazy, it is typical for crowdfunding projects and you know it, no one should be surprised to see this happening from prototype to final product, yet people continue to be time and time again. Be mad or frustrated I guess, but again I just don't see why its shocking and unacceptable, when its the very nature of the platform. Prototype to final product, expect changes along the way, that's exactly how I've always viewed these platforms.

D

Deleted-355425

A change in design just doesn't feel like inherently sleazy behavior to me. And even if you do find this behavior sleazy, it is typical for crowdfunding projects and you know it, no one should be surprised to see this happening from prototype to final product, yet people continue to be time and time again. Be mad or frustrated I guess, but again I just don't see why its shocking and unacceptable, when its the very nature of the platform. Prototype to final product, expect changes along the way, that's exactly how I've always viewed these platforms.

You are just repeating your self now.

I like thats you can't accept you "paid" or more donated money for a prototype and now shocked thats it changed.
Love it!

They haven’t just changed it’s design a bit it’s now a totally different product.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
They haven’t just changed it’s design a bit it’s now a totally different product.
Mhmm. Its a product to connect to the switch and transfer the video to your tv. Nope still the same, different design. Or more plastic and the the connector size got reduced since you don't need that dongle.
7.8 / 10 - To much changed - IGN

D

Deleted-355425

you're utilizing crowd-funding where its a known fact that the prototypes are never guaranteed to be final.

If you're not familiar with how crowdfunding sites function, then this is an educational experience for you.

you just need to understand how crowd funding sites function, you can be upset, but the people at SFANS aren't doing anything unheard of for the crowdfunding platforms, in fact its very common.

its a normal thing that happens and should be anticipated. If you don't want to take a chance on a crowdfunded project not being exactly what they initially showed off, then you shouldn't fund the project.

SFANS aren't doing anything unheard of for the crowdfunding platforms, in fact its very common.

You are just repeating your self.

Mhmm. Its a product to connect to the switch and transfer the video to your tv. Nope still the same, different design. Or more plastic and the the connector size got reduced since you don't need that dongle.
7.8 / 10 - To much changed - IGN

Why were they selling plastic docks with the original design then?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual-SFANS.jpg

With this terrible photoshopping, This is what SFANS could have done instead. It would have retained the dongle functionally alongside being a dock.

btw, this is the other side of the dongle, hence the bad editing since they do not have pictures of the side opposite of the connectors. well at least not any with this new dock design.

Last edited by driverdis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work