Shin Megami Tensei V will have a simultaneous release worldwide in 2021

Revealed during today's Nintendo Direct Mini was a new trailer for the long-awaited Shin Megami Tensei V. Not only is the game still in development, but it's not too far from an actual release. In a world without its Creator, which path shall you choose? You'll be able to decide that when the game launches next year in 2021, with a simultaneous release in North America, Europe, and Japan.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope that 2D sprite/artwork is used generously. The battle images and sprites in SMT IV are gorgeous (yes, even the ones from guest artists that seemed slightly out of place, lol) and while 3D models are more "modern," you just gotta love the care and attention that goes into quality 2D art.

I agree, hope so.
Maybe at the least we could get drawn art when looking up demon infornation to go along with the models.
Maybe some sort of collectable cards or something extra like that would be nice.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel like sarcastically being deliberately annoying and demanding this be released on Playstation... like the nintentards constantly do with regards the Persona games being ported to Switch. :P

It may finally be time for me to get a Switch when this releases.
There's really no good reason SMT shouldn't be on Playstation/Xbox and Persona shouldn't be on Nintendo/Microsoft consoles. Atlus just seems to be kinda stuck in the past, when they should be taking cues from modern-day Sega. They're missing out on a lot of easy money.

Last edited by Xzi,

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Gee this game was announced Jan 2017 and Bayonneta 3 was announced Dec 2017. I guess we'll hear more about Bayonetta in 11 months.

I wonder if this game will have non controllable human characters like SMT4 had. btw, is the sequel of SMT4 worth playing?

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
is the sequel of SMT4 worth playing?
They tightened up the gameplay and refined the battle system, so the mechanics of the game are better. And they brought back the moon system from other SMT games. But the story is worse and the characters aren't as three-dimensional.
Buuuuuuuuuut it's also not canon so it's a fun time as long as you don't think too hard. Plus the ending is actually really awesome.

TL;DR: better gameplay, worse story but it has great moments. it's worth playing if you really liked IV

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Perhaps there will be a gender choice this time around? *shrug* Dunno. Flynn was a decent MC, though. Still haven't played Apocalypse, tbh.
I doubt that. The MC seems male due to the uniform. I wonder if this game will have exp DLCs like 4 did. I hope it's 3rd person view since I dislike the first person view that SMT 4 had.

Last edited by fvig2001,

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I doubt that. The MC seems male due to the uniform. I wonder if this game will have exp DLCs like 4 did. I hope it's 3rd person view since I dislike the first person view that SMT 4 had.
SMT IV had 3rd person camera, if I'm not misunderstanding you. Deep Strange Journey, the most recent game, was 1st person

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I must be honest. Im kinda growing sick of all the japanese games like this. They are getting kinda generic. And since i plaed a lt of them and watched a lot of anime, i kinda see the pattern that is repeated over and over. Kinda feels like a brain-washing if i continue to play them.

The manirism that characters have, their behaviour, type of characters, the way they react, smile even, the story development, the way they talk, themes...its all well to familiar almost indentical to all other japanese games. Also the visuals they use sometimes can feel forced and completly random which by it self feels forced.
Also there always has to be a unnessesary depth and hidden meaning and they say something but mean the other. And there is always this symbolism in everything, like some cult. There is always a shinto symbolism.
Alwyas one guy who is cool and has a pose....
Oh and they ALWAYS must fucking SAY whatever they do...like..i can see it, please dont say it

("RASENGAN!" ....oh christ, dont say your move just do it with basic screaming..)

I mean i can go on and on, but basically, they all become generic and basically screaming "MADE IN JAPAN" id much reather play japanese game not knowing its made in japan based of those cliches. Oh and Japanese are so proud of their country its getting annoying tbh.

Dont let me start about pokemons and digimons and other -mons.

I think only to new people this is cool and new, which is fair enough. But after a while you start to notice the same mold...like a serial production.
Well, the point is, i don't want to see the fucking mold!

When i see a game thats its own thing where i cant recognise those cliches and themes but thats made in Japan, than ill say "good job~"

Last edited by MetoMeto,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Damn, this is some pretty sweet news. I love SMT <3

Been waiting ages for news regarding this game. Thankfully it wasn't canned.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guess I'll have to give this series a try for the first time when the SMT3 remaster drops. Is there one particular entry in the series that fans consider "best?" Or are opinions extremely varied in that regard?
I haven't played them, but from what I've seen SMT3 seems to be the go to answer when fans are asked which one the best one is. It is balls hard though, so be aware of that.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I must be honest. Im kinda growing sick of all the japanese games like this. They are getting kinda generic. And since i plaed a lt of them and watched a lot of anime, i kinda see the pattern that is repeated over and over. Kinda feels like a brain-washing if i continue to play them.

The manirism that characters have, their behaviour, type of characters, the way they react, smile even, the story development, the way they talk, themes...its all well to familiar almost indentical to all other japanese games. Also the visuals they use sometimes can feel forced and completly random which by it self feels forced.
Also there always has to be a unnessesary depth and hidden meaning and they say something but mean the other. And there is always this symbolism in everything, like some cult. There is always a shinto symbolism.
Alwyas one guy who is cool and has a pose....
Oh and they ALWAYS must fucking SAY whatever they do...like..i can see it, please dont say it

("RASENGAN!" ....oh christ, dont say your move just do it with basic screaming..)

I mean i can go on and on, but basically, they all become generic and basically screaming "MADE IN JAPAN" id much reather play japanese game not knowing its made in japan based of those cliches. Oh and Japanese are so proud of their country its getting annoying tbh.

Dont let me start about pokemons and digimons and other -mons.

I think only to new people this is cool and new, which is fair enough. But after a while you start to notice the same mold...like a serial production.
Well, the point is, i don't want to see the fucking mold!

When i see a game thats its own thing where i cant recognise those cliches and themes but thats made in Japan, than ill say "good job~"

I've playing JRPG's and watching anime for over 20 years, so I've played hundreds of jrpg's, watched hundreds of anime and I can still live with it. Not to mention the hundreds of manga/manhua/manhwa I've read (currently following at least 200 ongoing series). The point is, everything is similar, yet different.

If you've played SMT games before you should know how different it is from what you're reffering.

As for the being proud of their country, they should be, there's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and where you are from. American series make the same thing.

SMT is all about dystopian societies, the human nature and so on. It is very different from Persona and the other spin offs.

Regarding clichés, not all are bad.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I've playing JRPG's and watching anime for over 20 years, so I've played hundreds of jrpg's, watched hundreds of anime and I can still live with it. Not to mention the hundreds of manga/manhua/manhwa I've read (currently following at least 200 ongoing series). The point is, everything is similar, yet different.

If you've played SMT games before you should know how different it is from what you're reffering.

As for the being proud of their country, they should be, there's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are and where you are from. American series make the same thing.

SMT is all about dystopian societies, the human nature and so on. It is very different from Persona and the other spin offs.

Regarding clichés, not all are bad.
You didn't really understood what i was saying writing.
Didnt expect to discuss it, i was just comenting what i noticed.

but...i know its different, evey anime is different, but they all share the same mold. And as for pride i meant that you can see that in every anime which also gives it that non original seal.
I wanted to point out how i like games that i dont know who made them, that deal with topics in such way that is free from japanese influence but is made in japan because for years of watching anime and japanese video games i can certanly tell when a game is from japan. Im impressed with games where i cant tell by those little "mold prints".

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay