• Nah.. I think it'd be wrong/stupid.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Macs are actually not too much money...the perceived value of having a Mac is in the style...an example would be a BMW 3 series and a Cobalt SS...the Cobalt SS is significantly cheaper and has some great specs but the BMW is much more pleasing to look at regardless. Think about it this way...some people are willing to pay the 25% premium if it means something that fits with their style, or thinner and lighter.

BTW...GIMPShop does not equal Photoshop. I have GIMP installed here at work and thought...oh hey...GIMPShop = Photoshop...it does not...the interface is even more confusing. Just use standard GIMP.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I would say as long as you have the money, move to a Mac.

And btw, for whoever asked, GIMPShop is just GIMP with a sort of PhotoShop interface to it... personally, I didn't like it very much. It's a much better idea to just pirate CS2/CS3. If you're into graphic designing and whatnot, Photoshop is a must.

El Blacksheep

Trophies
Website
tryorke.no-ip.info
XP
Country
United States
oh hey, we went from "should i buy a mac" to "get linux!"
while i do agree linux is awesome, that wasn't the question he asked >>

if you can afford a mac and don't mind looking like a trendy iTool, go for it. you can set it up to dual-boot both osx and win xp via boot camp, which is supposed to work just as well as xp on a pc. you can even setup a third OS should you decide to give linux a try.

if it's just the GUI you're interested in and you don't really need the mac-specific features, stick to your pc. Ubuntu can be skinned to look and feel exactly like a mac (with the universal menu and all) and it's completely free.

EDIT: a quick google search landed me with this:
Turn Ubuntu Hardy into Mac OSX Leopard

and i'm sure there are even more in-depth tweaks you can use.

EDIT2: i should also add my personal opinion: Windows is windows, OSX is OSX. No matter what you do to windows, it'll still look like windows. No matter what you do to a mac, it'll still look like a mac. With linux you have the power and freedom to customize anything and everything, so why would you want to imitate an inferior OS? I recommend you customize it to your tastes and make your interface stand out. that's what I did.

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Okay.. Staying with XP .. NO UBUNTU. It sux ass.. Well , atleast for me ..
CoD4 works great yet this thing's visual effects cannot work with my video card - -5 points.
no internet connection , I cant get it to work - -10
laggy as hell - -3
loads out reallllly slowly! -2

total : -20

D

Deleted User

Ducky

I'm going to assume you used the "Test" ubuntu thing, right?

Well that is when everything is loaded off the disc. Literally.

The operating system is read from the CD etc. so it will be slow.

If you tried the same thing for Windows XP if it had one, chances are it'll be even slower.

Also Driver incompatibilities are resolved after the actual installation...
rolleyes.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Renegade_R said:
the perceived value of having a Mac is in the style.
Except macs (and anything apple really) are as ugly as sin. I've never understood the "apple = stylish". maybe if you are completely devoid of any style yourself then something so generic may appeal, but they are just so boring and bland.

The mac mini is definitely the best looking item apple sell.

El Blacksheep

Trophies
Website
tryorke.no-ip.info
XP
Country
United States
did you install it or run it off of a Live CD? o.o;

if you had bad experiences with Ubuntu, odds are you didn't give it a chance >>
linux isn't something you just get and fall in love with: you have to make the effort to learn it. you have to WANT to become adept with it. if that's not you, then linux isn't for you.

but hey, its your PC so do whatever you like with it. maybe one day you'll change your mind and come back to ubuntu.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
I love my Mac. Besides, if you ever need Windows, just do what I did, wait an hour for a hacked version of XP to torrent and install that.

Ducky

QUACKJECTION!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
Well.. I tried ubuntu , That was the second time , Every time I just run the installer (Wubi) and let it work.
Last time had internet problems , This time it just sucked.

I might install it later , But I organized my PC to fit my needs now , So Im not interested in moving anymore.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Mewgia said:
Xcalibur said:
go hackintosh!
its requires a lot of technical knowledge and is way too easy to fuck up but is a great middle ground.

No it doesn't.

They released an installer that runs off a flashdrive that does pretty much everything for you.

GO HACKINTOSH!

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
El Blacksheep said:
except you need compatible hardware for it to run stable.
it's basically a watered-down os-x.
Except there is nothing watered down about it - install 10.5.2 osx86 and then do the 10.5.4 update. As long as you have compatible hardware it will be exactly the same as osx 10.5.4 on a mac. Except without the overpriced ugly apple hardware.

And you need compatible hardware for it to run at all.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
El Blacksheep said:
maybe i was misinformed.
Probably - mac fanboys (as with any fanboy really) like to make out that a hackintosh is bad. I went from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 and then to 10.5.4. Occasionally an update won't work on OSX86 natively so you have to wait for it to be patched - but a lot of the time you can just do a direct update from apple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg