Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So. These are my headphones.

Some random Wicked Audio brand earbuds I don't remember the model of (the white ones at the top left) - came bundled with the Wicked Audio Reverb headphones at the very right. These earbuds are absolute garbage.

Below that, Samsung headset - came with my phone (CDMA/LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon). Pretty crap, only use them for talking since they have a built in microphone.

Next to that - Apple iPod earbuds. Came with my 80GB iPod Classic (black). Verdict - they're Apple headphones. They're not good.

Top - Sony MDR-NC22 - Listed around $100, but picked em up for $30 when I got em a few years back on clearance at Target. A little lacking in bass, but everything else sounds pretty good. That brick is the noise canceling module that takes a AAA battery, it blocks out so much outside sound. Love these headphones, I had used them for years.

Below them - Sennheiser NX150 - picked em up for $20 at FYE. superpowered bass, unusually loud highs. Mids sound pretty good. I do love the bass on these, but the shrill highs force me to use an EQ to drop them a bit most of the time. Still do like these quite a bit, one of my favorite pairs.

Next - Turtle Beach XL1 - $40, use them at night when everyone is sleeping and I am not and I am on Skype with my girlfriend. Mic sounds good, these sound mediocre overall, though. Bass is weak, highs are weak, mids aren't too bad. Ironically, I have barely used these for gaming XD

Next - Wicked Audio Reverb - $20, came with those white earbuds. Good bit of bass, weak highs and fair mids though. Really short cord. Speakers rattle in these though which is really annoying. Don't use em since I got the Turtle Beach headset.

Not shows - Skullcandy Ink'd (white). My dad uses these for the gym, I've forfeitted them to him. They're Skullcandy's, which means they're good but not great. An inordinate amount of bass, which is good for dubstep and not much else.

Edit - who want's to play a game of "Name what's on Plasma's desk"? XD

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I'm too embarrassed by my headphones now, but they're an old pair of Sony headphones from the 90s. I think they might be at least 15-20 years old...maybe more.
Just because they're old doesn't mean they're crap, unless they are crap.

If they're the ones that came with the Walkman, yeah they're pretty much crap.

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
Yo guys,

Here's a little back story on me: I am an audiophile, probably much more than people on these boards are. Looking through this thread I don't see many good headphones, no disrespect or insults intended. There are some good ones such as Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, but stuff like Beats and Skullcandy aren't that good.

I buy gear that cost more than a game system, to give an example I would say my most expensive headphone is double the price of three brand new PS3's.

You can view all my gear from: http://www.head-fi.o.../87897/zombie-x

Here's a few images of my stuff. WARNING: Prepare to be shocked!

ll3c.jpg

900x900pxll1cb608dfgedc.jpg

900x900pxll4c8c83fdgedc.jpg

900x900pxll8c4418fdimg0.jpg

38302034.jpg

ll1j.jpg

ll2s.jpg

And lastly...

ll4g.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
Most retro headphones such as above are of 2000Ohm-4000Ohm rating. They are insanely hard to drive well and were designed to be used around tube gear such as old tube radio's. The reason they work better with tubes is because tubes put out a high output voltage.

The general rule is the lower the impedance, the more current you need. The higher the impedance, the more voltage you need. You couldn't use these on a Zune at all because of how much voltage they need. Your Zune would be drained dry in no time at all. That's why you need a headphone amplifier for these models, but no headphone amp on the market can drive these well.

For lower impedance gear you require more current than voltage. So as long as your headphone has a high sensitivity rating and a low impedance of 40Ohms or lower then you should be fine. There are exceptions such as low impedance and low sensitivity (AKG K701) and then in turn they need a lot more current and a higher voltage swing...

Oh I rambled on...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to have the same Shure earbuds that Zombie_X has, however they wore out after a couple of years of heavy use, but they were great. I am using a pair of Bose IE2 earbuds. Before I had the Shure headphones, I had the original IE1's for a while before I lost them (which was about 4 years ago). I don't mind the IE2's but they distort with Apple audio players at maximum volume, which bothers me that they lack the headroom for the price. Oh well, eventually I plan on getting a pair of better headphones.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they...