Hacking Sky 3ds blue button

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And does freeshop/eshop have virtual console games like pokemon crystal or are they homebrew?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is there certain things you need to avoid? like not purchasing or keeping off the estore or wifi? and are you able to go online on games or will that block you out or just not work?
to be totally honest people have ben banned from online services the exact cause is unknown but as a community we believe the cause is running installed non-official apps either while online or directly before going online so its advised to keep wifi off unless playing a game online and to run a official app/game after running a homebrew app but before turning on wifi
So not sure where I heard it but apparently the sky3ds blue card is incompatible after the 11.0.0.21 firmware that I've currently got installed. So using the custom firmware, will that enable the use of the sky3ds and block the anti piracy stuff that prevents the cart?
yeah you were missinformed it will work on any firmware and no cfw will not allow the sky3ds to exceed its ap limit . . . but you can install any 3ds game directly as ap is not advanced enough to stop/block the .cia versions of games
Where does freeshop gather the files from? Does it come from a server hosted by them or something?
the game files themselvs come from nintendo . . . but the keys that allow the program to work you need to supply you can create your own key list but the . . . "popular" thing is to google 3ds encrypted title keys and scan the resulting qr code

And does freeshop/eshop have virtual console games like pokemon crystal or are they homebrew?
only official apps (things in the real eshop)
if you want a vc game thats not in the eshop you need to inject it yourself or google for it

although there is also an app for downloading homebrew apps in the same fashion (if you want)

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: cpjay

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any pros and cons to using the sky card 3ds over installed cias?
If you are banned from online services and you dont really online play anyway then there isn't really an issue right?

Thanks for all the info! most the time i keep wifi off anyway so that's all good.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any pros and cons to using the sky card 3ds over installed cias?
pros sky and .3ds
you can simply continue to use it as you know how it works
. . . its still nice to have a (sort of) second sd card for your system
cons sky and .3ds
its annoying to use the pc app to add games to the blue button sky
newer games wont work on it
it only gets retail games (no eshop only games so no vc, and no direct homebrew [you can still get homebrew via cubic ninja rom and ninjhax])

cia pros
.cia files are allays smaller than .3ds files
no ap checks
you can install freeshop to allow you to skip the pc altogether

cia cons
if you manually download (not via freeshop) a cia you will need 2x the space on your sd card during installation (freshop games have this complication as well but it seems to be about 1.5x the space in my experience)

that said i still have my sky blue button it contains my large old games (M.G.S., R.E., ect) and cubic ninja (used to use it as a entrypoint to install cfw on other systems . . . but with advancements to the scene i use my ak2i for that now) so it just collects dust now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you are banned from online services and you dont really online play anyway then there isn't really an issue right?
exactly correct

Last edited by wormdood,

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pros sky and .3ds
you can simply continue to use it as you know how it works
. . . its still nice to have a (sort of) second sd card for your system
cons sky and .3ds
its annoying to use the pc app to add games to the blue button sky
newer games wont work on it
it only gets retail games (no eshop only games so no vc, and no direct homebrew [you can still get homebrew via cubic ninja rom and ninjhax])

cia pros
.cia files are allays smaller than .3ds files
no ap checks
you can install freeshop to allow you to skip the pc altogether

cia cons
if you manually download (not via freeshop) a cia you will need 2x the space on your sd card during installation (freshop games have this complication as well but it seems to be about 1.5x the space in my experience)

that said i still have my sky blue button it contains my large old games (M.G.S., R.E., ect) and cubic ninja (used to use it as a entrypoint to install cfw on other systems . . . but with advancements to the scene i use my ak2i for that now) so it just collects dust now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

exactly correct

Easy will just do that then, thanks man!

Also, are there certain things to avoid with the custom firmware to avoid bricking possibilities if that's possible? Like having wifi off with original games to avoid updates or something? Just thinking if it's the same concept as the wii homebrew hacks.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy will just do that then, thanks man!

Also, are there certain things to avoid with the custom firmware to avoid bricking possibilities if that's possible? Like having wifi off with original games to avoid updates or something? Just thinking if it's the same concept as the wii homebrew hacks.
once boot9strap is installed you can unbrick your 3ds with decrypt9

worse case scenario you screw up your boot9strap install then you can just unbrick with ntrboot

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
once boot9strap is installed you can unbrick your 3ds with decrypt9

worse case scenario you screw up your boot9strap install then you can just unbrick with ntrboot
Yeah too easy! are there certain things though that could cause it to brick? just to avoid

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah yeah just the usual, was just worried a cartridge could force update something it shouldn't ahah
once custom firmware is installed you can just update any time

and make sure to run luma updater every time before you update the system. Worse case scenario is you forget to run it then you can just download luma manually on the computer and transfer to sd card

cpjay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys just a last couple things, how come the cia files are smaller than 3ds files? Is there anything missing or is the cia just more compressed?
And how do you delete/uninstall a cia after you have installed it. is it done from datamanagement or somewhere in luma?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys just a last couple things, how come the cia files are smaller than 3ds files? Is there anything missing or is the cia just more compressed?
And how do you delete/uninstall a cia after you have installed it. is it done from datamanagement or somewhere in luma?
A 3ds file is the image of a cartridge and contains a header and padding which aren't present in the cia version.
You can use FBI or System Settings -> Data Management -> 3DS software to delete games.

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3ds are image of the cartridge ship. Once trimmed it should be almost the size of the CIA as Quantumcat said. Sometimes they also include firmware update that are not present in CIAs.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: ok