• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

So americas politics are fixed by letting candidates drop out at specific spots?

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
So here are our two essential findings.

- Who becomes a presidential candidate is always (statistically very likely) decided by what "easily influenced, white, old people" want.

- The selection process is like a game of monopoly, where one player can start as three players, that pool funds and assets after the first fourth of the game (so two of the players can get real world benefits doing that). And where another player can be made to always only count as 0.8 of a player by splitting their potential income throughout the game.

But you give them - what - four public debates, so they can talk themselves out of that, by talking to voters, using their gift of the gab?

Huh. Interesting.

I wonder why other countries dont have that system. And isn't it lucky, that so many US americans dont understand statistics at all?

edit: To be fair, the winner of that process - then only becomes the presidential candidate in the first round, if they get about 40%-50% of the monopoly money. Which isnt votes but also a weighted measure called 'electoral delegates'.

Otherwise, there is a second round, you know. ;)

edit2: And the process requires, that you, as a candidate, have to convince the (usually gaussian distributed) monopoly board, convincingly, that you 'can still win' throughout an entire year. *haha*

Last edited by notimp,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Here you can see what happened more clearly, because Reuters still has Klobuchar and Buttigieg numbers in there.

BdgRf6x.png

src: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

So all Klobuchar and Buttigieg voters, and I mean all of them, moved over to Biden at exactly the most damaging time possible for the Sanders campaign. :)

Fun.
Yes and no. The "problem", so you will, is that the North Carolina vote was just a few days ago, and Biden didn't just win but steamrolled all over everyone except Sanders.No wonder they called it quits: not much point pursuing if someone with a similar agenda is stealing all your thunder.

Of course, since it was predicted that Biden would win NC, you can argue that that state's vote date was put so close to super Tuesday that a 'comeback' wasn't so much unavoidable but predicted.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, but why is the issue. :) Why steamrolled. :)

I'm pretty sure its the game you are playing... ;)

To also tell it how it is - in other countries most often parties decide their candidates 'internally' (so without a public process like this). Saves money. But you then also have more parties - and none of that 'weighted advantage, WHEN certain people quit the race' nonsense.

Probably has a similar outcome though, all things considered.. ;)

If you find any other potential reasons for 'why steamrolled', please share. (As I posted before. ;) And I promise to be fair.) And I dont need it state specific. Just in general. Why was Biden all of a sudden such a winner. :)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Taleweaver

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don´t get it, the African-Americans would benefit the most from Sander´s reduction of the military (unless you see the military as a great job opportunity) and increase in social wellfare. But one endorsement is enough to make them align almost perfectly?
It´s a very bad strategy. The Democrats don´t gain any vote against Trump (by choosing Biden) as almost all African-Americans vote for the Democratic candidate anyway. But if Bernie loses once again against the establishment in his own party, his fans might abstain from voting.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Lets do another exercise. Summarize this article.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/03/biden-super-tuesday/607411/

He won, because he won, and then he won more, and because he won early, and black, and the establishment? But he had been smiling for days.

Find something better (or explain whats in this article better) and you win. :)

edit:

CNN tells you why in Texas:

CNN projects Joe Biden will win Texas primary. Here's how he did it

He won, because of the biggest counties.

Satisfied yet? ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bloomberg just came out saying that he now endorses Biden. :)

Remember that there is a weighted advantage for every above 15% candidate that does so early, for Biden, for the remainder of the race.

So Sanders is now stuck as the only candidate, not only not with no other candidates (that retracted) endorsement but the only candidate who still has a Warren fighting for his userbase as well.

*lololololololollololololololololol*

0.8 Sanders go! Convince your voters you can still beat 4 players Biden for no apparent reason. For another three months (I looked it up).
--

Hey, I know a joke.

A gay person, an old pro industry democrat, and a strong women meet in a bar.
The bartender says: Which of you wants to become president.
They all look at each oder and then say as one voice: Joe Biden, the one that black people like.

edit: Here is the resolve. The political right has the answer. :)
Saagar Enjeti: Biden can't even speak, can failed Dems save him anyway?

Last edited by notimp,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know, man. I don't even know what to say. If there was any justice in the world, Tulsi or Yang would be running against Trump right now.

Reactions: Glyptofane

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The public reasoning has reached a conclusion, its because of "electability" not "policy" that all those endorsements were made:

Its great to see the presidential race finally resorting to just bullying.

Also Im sure Klobuchar thought about not being electable enough, just before dropping out at just the right moment to cause the most impact, shortly before quitting the race and not taking her projected 2:1 victory in her homestate, because she wasnt electable enough.

Currently - media really is just lying.

And society at large loves it. Because there is a winner to congregate around.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Warren learned something.

(When a respected presidential candidate leaves the race, signaling a conspiracy (as in 'people conspiring'). Its a good day?

Thats when you need a comedian to play away that narrative with a joke.. Because otherwise, HOLY... ;))

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Robert Reich does the teletubbies xplaining for people that cant read statistics:

Has an ex student of his next to him on camera, that screams at the viewer and plays dumb as a rock for youtube appeal.

(TLDR; What happend still doesnt become magically better.)

edit: Oh, also google who Robert Reich is.

edit2: Somehow Reich is still dumb enough to state on camera, that 'if there ever was a question if money could buy politics, this is now extinguished' because of Bloomberg.

Sorry folks, but that structural corruption (and even intelligent spending (prop up candidates with different mainstream appeal a little (dont spend 600 mio on yourself), then pool them at the right time for momentum)) beats one time campaign spending (with the lousiest political ads with creatives that were just free agenting the heck out of their paid temp jobs), is pretty well known. You have to spend money, for years, to profit from structural effects. If you compare Bloomberg with the big donors on both sides, that guy was a wannabe.

(Biden has received money from 60 billionaires. (Sanders campaign talking point.))

At least Reich also eludes to that at the end of his statement.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Sen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday on "Meet The Press" that he would have won the primaries in Minnesota, Maine, and Massachusetts if Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg had not dropped out of the presidential race and endorsed former Vice President Joe Biden ahead of Super Tuesday.

"The establishment put a great deal of pressure on Pete Buttigieg, on Amy Klobuchar, who ran really aggressive campaigns. Well, I know both of them. They work really, really hard. But suddenly, right before Super Tuesday, they announced their withdrawal," Sanders said.

"If they had not withdrawn from the race before Super Tuesday, which is kind of a surprise to a lot of people, I suspect we would have won in Minnesota, we would have won in Maine, we would have won in Massachusetts. The turnout may have been a little bit different," he added.
src:

While that outcome in one of those states might be disputed - No sh*t sherlock.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
NYT now openly lies in OPeds:
The Trump presidency has created tremendous energy among progressives. More than half of Democratic voters now identify as liberal. Most favor “Medicare for all.” A growing number are unhappy with American capitalism.

This year’s campaign offered the prospect of transformational change, with a Democratic nominee who was more liberal than any in more than a half-century. Instead, the nominee now seems likely to be a moderate white grandfather who first ran for president more than 30 years ago and whose campaign promises a return to normalcy.

True, Bernie Sanders could make a comeback, but it would need to be a big one. Among people who voted on Super Tuesday itself — rather than voting early, before Joe Biden won South Carolina — Biden trounced Sanders. The race would have to change fundamentally for Sanders to win.

If he doesn’t, the obvious questions for progressives is what went wrong and how they can do better in the future. I think there are some clear answers — empirical answers that anybody, regardless of ideology, should be able to see. I’d encourage the next generation of progressive leaders to think about these issues with an open mind.

The biggest lesson is simply this: The American left doesn’t care enough about winning.

It’s an old problem, one that has long undermined left-wing movements in this country. They have often prioritized purity over victory. They wouldn’t necessarily put it these terms, but they have chosen to lose on their terms rather than win with compromise.
(this is an opinion article, not _the_ news)
src: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/opinion/sanders-democratic-primary.html

This is how elites are manipulated:

You give them the truth:
The race would have to change fundamentally for Sanders to win.
(You mean as fundamentally as the directional reversal in the opening post?)

But then you also tell them to think about their racist granpa (sorry, mccarthyist), and their own career. Next sentence:
If he doesn’t, the obvious questions for progressives is what went wrong and how they can do better in the future. I think there are some clear answers — empirical answers that anybody, regardless of ideology, should be able to see. I’d encourage the next generation of progressive leaders to think about these issues with an open mind.

Fuck this 10 times out of 10. This is the actual reality. This is how democracy always goes. Go with the popular kid. And people in the know will make sure who is popular.

They just know better than you do - to believe in actual morals.

What you didn't know?

And on topics, where actual 'human nature' dictates different strategies (climate change), they f*cking virtue signal the s*t out of the opposite ideological position ("oh no - what everyone says that they will do because of tha climate matters so much...") just because it gives their constituency a reason to look good for no reason at all. Twisted world.

But so self replicating...

(And thats the reason why you do it. You openly play to everyones intrest to fake popularity in life to get ahead. You call this a society. Its manipulable as hell. Then you teach it to your "next generation of young progressive leaders". Then you only prop up those who swallow it. Voila, self replicating system.

Sanders isnt a blind ideologist either, you know? He just not quite the right one.. for now.

Get a little more educated, and keep any sorts of morals, and you quite quickly learn to hate this world.

Compromises, thats all politics is about. But frankly - I'd be much more interested in who sets them up, or advertises them, at what point in a democratic race.)

No, no - but we HAVE to manipulate you. You wouldnt vote for the winningest person otherwise. I think you would find that rational? (Its the greater good.)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Let me ask one question.

The preferend narrative now is, that at the same time, all centrist candidates could be convinced, that for their own position in a future administration, or their own political career, coordinately, they should drop out at the same time, and tell their followers to vote for the same person, and they all did it at the optimal time for that person in the race, with that person up to that point struggling the hardest of all candidates with any real potential, even to get back into the race in terms of their public performance, and since then not having shown any even decent public performance (for a political candidate) to begin with.

You really are fine with that, because thats the lesser evil? You manipulate the sh*t out of systems - and then tell your young ones "there should be some pretty obvious reasons for why the other candidates wouldnt have worked". Jinx?

What a fine veneer of humanity democracy gives to those public proceedings. No - no, its so very interesting to see network effect, and cascading voting behavior (its all about momentum) in those systems. (Thats actually what the youtube pandering proxy next to Robert Reich says into camera).

Believe her. Or else no career for you.

edit: No, no - let me also formualte a wish.

Because according to the the NYT oped you get ONE wish from your Plutocracy a year. And this year it is healthcare for all. ("...that want it") Dont you know?

And then the rest is just about how strong the political wings get internally, so they can demand certain, smaller monetary devotion, if they get numbers. Nothing too expensive.

Dear elite democratic santa, next year I want educational reform, please. Oh dang I forgot. I have to wait four more years before asking.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Last edited by notimp,

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I am also endorsing Joe Biden.

Biden, Biden, he's our man, if he can't do it maybe the other Biden can.

Go Biden.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Your endosement doesnt have weight.

its about people that can move others to do whatever thing they want, by pandering to irrational group behavior. Remember? And how they are manipulated to move in a coordinated way to further their personal careers.

(I have no stakes in the race, I'm not american - I just tell you how broken that system is.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1