Hacking So up to what gen do you think Switch can emulate?

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Up to Wii and MAYBE PS2 (seeing that there's projects that can run PS2 on phones, someone could possibly build an emulator of PS2 for ARM? I'm really just guessing)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lot of bullshit here.
Switch has a 1 Ghz ARM CPU. Worse than most smartphones. Shield TV runs at 2 Ghz and GC games runs at half speed. Switch CPU is similar to a Raspberry pi CPU. Switchs GPU is much faster but this is not so important for emulation.

A twice as fast shield TV can't render n64 games at 100%.

That video is from 9 months ago. Dolphin ARM has improved dramatically since then. As for N64, I'm chalking that up to emulator optimization, because N64 emulation is notoriously bad

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now yes, in a few years it will be possible. especilly if quantum device become mainstream.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you cant really compare arm to an tegra chip totally different architectur.
You could agrue through wether the tegra 1 is weaker then the current arm cpus.
It's funny how you're telling me that i can't compare the cpu performance of my phone's arm cpu and the switch' arm cpu just because it's on a tegra soc. They're both ARMv8 64 bit cpu's, difference being my phone using an older model cortex clocked at almost twice the speed of the switch' cpu and it will and does perform better than the switch in terms of raw cpu power. Tegra doesn't magically improve performance of a cpu, or whatever you're implying.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Completely depends on the developers, demand and interest of the community.
What do you guys think how long it will take to have, for example fully working Gamecube Emulation with 100% framerate?
Will it ever happen?
In 4 years?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The Switch can emulate any console up to the 7th generation.
PS3 would be slow as shit, due to the weird CPU architecture they use, XBOX 360 would be just barely playable at native resolution and Wii would be fully playable at full speed running at 1080p/60fps.
In fact, it's already happened. People have done experiments with the Shield TV, even if you downclock it to 1GHz the performance doesn't get affected at all. Nintendo made a really bloody good emulator.
Gamecube, Dreamcast, XBOX and PS2 absolutely no problem.
N64, PS1, Saturn, Jaguar and 3DO also no problem.
SNES, Mega Drive, TurboGrafx and NeoGeo also no problem.
etc. no problem
8th generation can't be emulated at a playable speed, but it's unnecessary as it's the current gen, so developers can just natively port stuff.
All portables including 3DS and PSP no problem. Vita would be a bit slow though.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here we actually are, me with my Amd FX 8350 8x4Ghz and AMD r9 290 4gb not able to run, some games in dolphin with full speed, and a tablet outperfoming my ass.

Legit?
Also, Ps3 and Xbox 360 won't happen.
I also don't think that there is a big demand for it, but who knows if there's anyone out there to make it happen :)

D

Deleted User

PS3 would be slow as shit, due to the weird CPU architecture they use, XBOX 360 would be just barely playable at native resolution and Wii would be fully playable at full speed running at 1080p/60fps.
In fact, it's already happened. People have done experiments with the Shield TV, even if you downclock it to 1GHz the performance doesn't get affected at all. Nintendo made a really bloody good emulator.
etc. no problem
8th generation can't be emulated at a playable speed, but it's unnecessary as it's the current gen, so developers can just natively port stuff.
All portables including 3DS and PSP no problem. Vita would be a bit slow though.

dude are nuts ? the current gen pc needs an GTX Titan to Emulate PS3 so how in the hell the switch should do it xD

Here we actually are, me with my Amd FX 8350 8x4Ghz and AMD r9 290 4gb not able to run, some games in dolphin with full speed, and a tablet outperfoming my ass.

Legit?
Also, Ps3 and Xbox 360 won't happen.
I also don't think that there is a big demand for it, but who knows if there's anyone out there to make it happen :)

Dolphin will work well with Vulcan

D

Deleted User

the switch will emulate ps2 when the time is right

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
etc. no problem
lmao what type of weed you smoking?

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a system that can run Gamecube and Wii games in addition to others you should pick up a cheap Wii U. The chances of the Switch ever doing so is extremely slim.

I think emulation will max out with a few Dreamcast and PSP games running full speed.

D

Deleted User

If you want a system that can run Gamecube and Wii games in addition to others you should pick up a cheap Wii U. The chances of the Switch ever doing so is extremely slim.

I think emulation will max out with a few Dreamcast and PSP games running full speed.

i think you smoking if the shield tv can run it so can the switch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o