Not open for further replies.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Brian117 said:
Rap music these days are just plain old shitty. Even the old school rap was so crappy. Don't get me wrong, there are a few songs that I like that are rap. But all this new shit that is coming out by ghetto rappers trying to make fame, are just plain stupid and obscene. "Lick me like a lollipop", "I know you see it" etc. I believe that the world is like it is from rap. Talking about drug deals, vandalism, sex nonstop, swearing in every sentence, and just being plain old racist in their songs.

I live in an infested city that has cars blaring the shit out of their car windows and houses 24/7. Cars coming up and down the streets at 3-4am in the morning having the bass so loud it rattles our house windows. Makes me want to get my BB gun and shoot the hell out of their windows while they drive down the street. Houses even...across the street from me, blaring music from inside that we can hear it over here even in our basement. You just hear rap all the time in this city and it's making me hate rap more and more. These days I don't even download or listen to any crappy rap songs anymore. It's either pop, techno, or emo. But whatever. It's just, if you lived in my city, you would really try and forget that rap ever existed and would never want to hear it again.

You know what they say, you can't spell crap without rap.
Sorry, but I just have something to say on this...

But isn't that sort of how life is now? Just cause its in rap doesn't mean that you wouldn't see this in real life at all. I know some white people (sorry) that sell drugs, I know people that vandalize, one of my friends whom I never expected talks about sex. And swearing?? Have you heard the words that come out of little 13 year olds mouth? Especially since you used the term "shitty" but used "crappy" in your second sentence. I agree with all this new stuff thats coming out isn't truly rap but still you are only looking at the mainstream, which is what you're basing your assumptions on. You hear Lil Wayne, Drake, Gucci, Wockaflocka, and all these crazy named characters on the radio but have you ever heard of Joell Ortiz? Saigon? Crooked I? Nas? Immortal Technique (who is also a political activist)? Wu-Tang Clan? Jay-Z? So its best not to base your assumptions on rap unless you not just listen to mainstream but underground.

And you can't blame rap for what has "happened" to the world. In the 50's, 60's, 70's parents were against Rock and Metal because it was of course loud and seemed to make kids "rebellious" sort of like how it is now. They had that kind of music at parties, they had it in their cars, they had it when people hung with each other am I wrong? And then you blame it on your city? Sir, I was BORN and raised in NY where rap started growing. I'm being RAISED in Atlanta. I will ALWAYS hear loud music everyday of different variety and I highly doubt that its just rap music you are hearing. That's just being a teenager. Sure not all act like that, but some do.

I'm not trying to target you or anything, we are cool friends, but its just comments like "rap is why the world this way" and "rap is crap" even though the same shit is happening in other places that don't even have rap that may be influenced by other genre. I listen to every genre, but I love rap because of the lyricism, the passion, how I can relate to it but I do not mainstream. So before you even say rap is shit, look at some of the non mainstream rappers before you call it crap.

/rant

Also, I am not starting a flame war

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The general opinion that rap music is bad is true when you listen to many "mainstream" or "pop" rap.

Those who spend more time listening to the (IMO) better tracks (that sadly, fail to make it to the top of the charts as frequently) will find that rap music isn't all THAT bad.

You then have people such as the OP who thinks that Soulja Boy is fantastic...

Rather than posting some of the oldies/classics I'll add some modern tracks (sure some may be considered hip-hop but I often see both genres being referred to as the same thing):

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Midna said:
So in short, you have no taste, correct?
No. There is no valid connection, or logical operation, thought process or associative chain whatsoever that would lead from what he said to what you said. There's a difference between "reading between the lines" and "making up stuff at random". Guess what you're doing.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Come back a day later-

-Rap still sucks-

If you want to convince anyone that rap is even half decent, start posting influential artists, not your everyday garbage like Soulja Boy who writes songs to youth about how you like to ejaculate on a girls back, put a blanket over her and pretend she's superman.

Besides the fact that he has an obsession with male superheroes that is beyond fanatic (clearly he wants to fuck them), the song is just terrible overall.

Rap doesn't have to suck.

Blame the little kids like OP who buy crap like soulja boy and 50 cent, there's a lot more of them then there are of us.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joell Ortiz - Hip Hop

Joell Ortiz - Food For Thought (Props if you can figure out what he's talking about. Hint: He's not talking about a girl!)

Immortal Technique - Poverty of Philosophy

Jay-Z - 99 Problems

Ghostface Killah - Baby (For the record, the album is about family relationships, broken family, etc.)

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary

Joell Ortiz - Bout My Money (Recession music)

Slaughterhouse - Move On

Nas - Something Foul

Edit:

Well damn, I didn't know dice listened to Novel. dice is my hero.
wub.gif

rickdgray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing cooler than "Crunk Juice" in neon.

Why don't we quit being fanboys about music and instigating a fight. You don't see any threads around here called "So you think metal sucks, do ya ? ? ?"

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Very ironic, but rap became like this (and hated) because of the people like OP, who don't care for the soul of the music, or the message within!

Rap was one of the meaningful genres when it started, genre that is based on lyrics and what they have to say to the masses..
In rap LYRICS are everything, often, you don't have to have melody at all, only beat is enough to say what you have and for World to hear it!

Now, mainstream rap has nothing on that, now, they all sing how much money they have....how many gangsters they shot, how they're though, how they have mansions and pools, how they have lots of girls and sex etc. They're not spreading the message, they're bragging.....and people are stupid enough to buy that and support......and it's perfectly OK, if you enjoy it, and you're satisfied listening to guy who tells you that he's so much better then you, and that he has so much more then you, then you're welcome to listen to it..

But don't be confused when some other people say it's utter crap, without the quality and that it should be exterminated, and all their stuff should be taken from them!

I don't like rap as music style doesn't appeal to me, however I have respect towards music that meant something, music that had soul..

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really hate rap, I just hate those people who after listening to a few songs, think they're really ganster and go around talking weird, standing in weird poses, saying random stuff you'd hear from one of their songs, and have to advertise themselves... They also like to show off other rap music aswell as if they made it, which is really really really annoying (not saying that you do)... But otherwise, I guess this is okay... I think...

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just like every music genre there are good songs, bad songs, good artists, terrible artists.

The difference with rap is, there are a lot of terrible artists. Half the songs are about sex (which I personally don't care about, I mean, come on) but it's just way too mainstream to be good, and way to idiotic. It's immature. I remember the first time I did stuff with a girl I felt cool as hell, then I realized, a hell of a lotta people have done stuff with girls, why the hell am I so special? My input on the sex part.

Drugs, pffft, rappers don't mean shit when they talk about drugs. Old school rock and roll is where the real drug lyrics come in. "Drugs and sex and rock and roll" (real song) was a great song. What was it about... why ask that question? Rappers think they're the first genre to sing about sex and drugs, horribly wrong.

It's not to say all rap is bad. People rap about stuff that really means something, but only sometimes. It is rare when a good rap song goes mainstream because it's truly a good rap song.

All in all, I dislike rap, but I despise emo music. What the fuck is that? really? your life sucks? No. Maybe it's your way of venting, maybe you're putting words into the kids mouths that listen to you, but it just sucks so much.

And that's all I gotta say about thaaaaat.
(I'm white by the way) haha

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
bnwchbammer said:
Drugs, pffft, rappers don't mean shit when they talk about drugs. Old school rock and roll is where the real drug lyrics come in. "Drugs and sex and rock and roll" (real song) was a great

Are you talking about the Ian Dury and the Blockheads song?

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
yuyuyup said:
OH NO WAIT you're a rap SNOB and you only like what YOU consider "GOOD."
You are a snob because you only listen to what you like/think is good?

No, that would make you a sensible person.

cause lord knows that people give a crap about subject material in songs, right ?
Obviously, unless you are a vapid, vacuous, brain-dead excuse for a person.

NeSchn said:
All you need to do is talking about women, drugs, and clubs and you have a golden Hip Hop song.
That is what mainstream hip-hop has become - but it didn't start out that way and there are plenty of people involved in the scene trying to bring it back to it's roots. And then of course there is conscious dancehall.

It really takes no talent to do, I have made some hip hop songs just because I was bored and my friends have told me that they were pretty good.
And? I made a dog-turd pie once, my friends all thought it was the "best thing evar!!!"

yuyuyup said:
who gives a crap about the actual subject material in the songs,
People with an IQ larger than that of a loaf of frozen bread?

is that really what matters about music?
It's part of what makes music what it is, yes.

Is your music really more meaningful than rap ?
What is all this "your music" and "my music". Music is music - stop trying to compartmentalise yourself.

QUOTE(jdev @ Dec 4 2009, 07:46 PM) I am glad it's out of punk (although punk was never really popular enough to get infected like rap did).
I guess you weren't around in '76-'78 then? Punk was dominated by "pop" and the record labels. And lets not forget 85% of american punk since 1985. "Real" (anarcho, crust, street, oi, '76 etc) punk is all but forgotten - pop-punk is all that anyone remembers and makes up most of punks output, unfortunately.

QUOTE(jackdanielchan @ Dec 5 2009, 05:44 AM)
I don't really hate rap, I just hate those people who after listening to a few songs, think they're really ganster and go around talking weird, standing in weird poses, saying random stuff you'd hear from one of their songs, and have to advertise themselves... They also like to show off other rap music aswell as if they made it, which is really really really annoying (not saying that you do)... But otherwise, I guess this is okay... I think...
I don't really hate metal, I just hate those people who after listening to a few songs, think they're really DARK and go around talking weird, standing in weird groups, saying random stuff you'd hear from one of their songs/wear and have to advertise themselves... They also like to show off other metal music aswell as if they made it, which is really really really annoying (not saying that you do)... But otherwise, I guess this is okay... I think...

I don't really hate psy-trance, I just hate those people who after listening to a few songs, think they're really HAPPY and go around talking weird, putting in weird fluro hair extensions, saying random stuff you'd hear from one of their tracks/wear and have to advertise themselves... They also like to show off other psy music aswell as if they made it, which is really really really annoying (not saying that you do)... But otherwise, I guess this is okay... I think...

DYS?

Mainstream music of pretty much all genres is shit - that is what capitalism does to a creative expression.

The irony of rap and metal fans fighting on the interbutts though - arguably the worst two modern styles of music going at it, round after round on gbatemp! Greetings to Prophet - an island of sense in a sea of idiocy! :>

I'll leave with this - bring together the hip-hop and punk fans:

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameSoul said:
Anyone ever heard of Lupe Fiasco? the guys awesome man :D
Lupe Fiasco is pretty good indeed, one of the few new rappers that has something to say. Or at least his first album, haven't checked out anything else by him since then.
QUOTE(Svorax @ Dec 4 2009, 06:54 PM) Nothing cooler than "Crunk Juice" in neon.

Why don't we quit being fanboys about music and instigating a fight. You don't see any threads around here called "So you think metal sucks, do ya ? ? ?"
A good deal of metal does suck though.

There are some 'musical genres' that are only genres because enough people thought it would be cool to do bullshit for a living and get rich, and a bunch of pretentious fanboys decided that if they corner the proverbial market on fanboyism in the genre they'll be idolized for being the biggest fanboy. A few years later we have shit like screamo.

It's not a musical taste, it's a social infection.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dice said:
The general opinion that rap music is bad is true when you listen to many "mainstream" or "pop" rap.

Those who spend more time listening to the (IMO) better tracks (that sadly, fail to make it to the top of the charts as frequently) will find that rap music isn't all THAT bad.

You then have people such as the OP who thinks that Soulja Boy is fantastic...

Rather than posting some of the oldies/classics I'll add some modern tracks (sure some may be considered hip-hop but I often see both genres being referred to as the same thing):
Those are good examples of how some rap today is actually good, maybe one day it'll be mainstream (hell maybe rappers will have their own woodstock).

Also, yeah those are mostly Hip Hop, but Hip Hop is an amalgamation of music and rap. A common mistake people make is that rap isn't really music, it's just written word, spoken. Essentially spoken poetry. Hip Hop incorporates some Rap elements, but also has a melody.

There are other definitons of rap like "Rhythmically Applied Poetry" but a good deal of those are unverified, and probably never will be.

The only thing I find wrong about rap hate is that many poets (even famous ones) throughout the ages have written in such sexual, violent, and ignorant ways, just using a bit more substance in their writing, however given the culture it's created, one could argue that rap does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    startthematch @ startthematch: Anyone in uere