Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Now that I think about it, my parents never gave a damn if I cussed! I guess Arabs don't make such a big deal out of it. But lying, like Slyakin, got me in a lot of trouble with them...

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
431unknown said:
Its just words. I don't see the point in beating a kid and craming a bar of palmolive down their throat just because they drop an f-bomb, everybody cusses.
Not everyone.

QUOTE(iFish @ Jan 8 2011, 02:55 AM) My mom gave hot sauce
ohnoes.png
Maybe I should do that.
mad.gif

It surprised me a bit that people actually do this, and so often, according to this thread. It's never applied to me; I doubt it would have happened anyway, but I don't swear.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I will have to side with SignZ- I had heard of the concept but had no idea it was put into practice (it always stuck me as an offhand comment along the lines of if you do not ? then X will get you) let alone as something that might be considered common to actually do.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
My mum used the soap method on me, and the wife used it on the middle child and it worked. Kids need a sense of action and consequence and to learn respect and manners. The law is too flimsy when it comes to punishing kids which is why we are knee deep in little bastards as they know if adults punish, then they can take us to court. Old people generally have respect and manners and they are products of old school methods such as this

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Leaving aside any statistical arguments for the moment and even for the purposes of debate assuming it is the case the question is then where does swearing fall into all this?
Indeed might it even be possible to swear eloquently/usefully/appropriately?

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Leaving aside any statistical arguments for the moment and even for the purposes of debate assuming it is the case the question is then where does swearing fall into all this?
Indeed might it even be possible to swear eloquently/usefully/appropriately?
I'm guessing the punishment is done so that kids don't start swearing all the time. A kid that swears at his teacher will probably get in trouble. That's the reason why I would punish my kids if they started swearing. Of course, as they grow older I can let a few swears pass because they become responsible enough to not scream "bitch" at their teacher or something.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have the surprising mental capacity not to swear when me mum's around. My friends (and teachers) don't seem to tell her either. So, nope.

Team_Subspace

Citizen Marsalevsky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i used to get soap in my mouth as a younger child, but when i started licking our soap for fun (i used to be a blonde with no common sense) my parents were freaked out and i never had the punishment again
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu