Sony announces new PlayStation 5 model, offers detachable disc drive for digital consoles

dsadsadasd.png

As the rumors foretold, Sony has announced a slimmer PlayStation 5 console for this upcoming holiday season. Marketed as "the new PS5 model", this version of the system is 30% smaller than the original PS5, while weighing 18-24% less, with a 1TB internal SSD. It also has four side panels as opposed to the launch PS5's two, meaning the previous official cover plates will not fit. The new PS5 with a disc drive will retail for $499.99/549.99 EUR, while the Digital Edition will be priced slightly cheaper at $449.99/449.99 EUR. Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

The new PS5 launches this November, and will be the default PlayStation 5 model going forward.

:arrow: Source

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I honestly really like the attachable disc drive. Not surpised that it costs more to buy the drive seperate if you buy the digital console. It'll also be good in case the drive fails, you can just buy another instead of having to get a new console or get it repaired
so it's sony version of the joycons :lol:

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my reaction.

wow-just-wow-dzoen1.jpg

to make it more slim just pay extra 50....

still i would use my PS5 for an Updated PS4 IMO... there's only a couple of games on PS5 i want since my laptop is shit for em.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
so it's sony version of the joycons :lol:
A quick reminder that a large variety of consoles in the past simply wouldn’t boot with the disc drive detached and required serious modification if it conked out. This is good from the point of user-serviceability, especially in the long term. Now, if the internal storage was removable too that’d be a full monty.

Reactions: KiiWii

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only justification I can see for getting this new digital version, is for someone with the intent on installing EK's monoblock for the console, which dramatically shrinks the system's footprint. Yet even in their FAQ's, they mentioned that while still possible, using it with a disc-enabled unit is tricky and one still has to (re)install the disc unit when doing system updates at the minimum. So to EK's recommendation, they suggest doing such a thing on the digital version of the console.

Of course, being biased towards physical collections with console gaming, I wasn't about to touch a digital only console if I couldn't exercise running physical media on it in some way. Also, Sony has no ground to stand on to try and say they can't provide some level of backwards compatibility with these systems. Ever since the big cutoff with the PS4, my only interest in a PS4/5 is entirely to jailbreak it on the spot and enable the PS2 emulator its firmware is rumored to have.

Reactions: tabzer

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, they really did it. They somehow managed to make it even more ugly. I'm not going to invest in this "upgrade" unless I see some pretty good changes.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
...Just to add, if you want to place it upright using the stand shown, as mentioned in the video, that is being sold separately at $29.99/€29.99..... :lol:

To add on top of this, the disk drive is 119.99€ in Europe, and also higher in UK pounds.

"*It will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.*"

Ain't that great?

• Sad
Reactions: CoolMe

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my research the PS3 Slim and PS4 Slims were cheaper than the original models, but the PS2 Slim was priced the same as the original PS2 model. So this is the first time since PS2 they've kept the price the same.

Reactions: Legitendo

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Putting aside if this is worth it over the old PS5, the Pro might be here next year. So, people just buying or want to upgrade might be better off just waiting.

I doubt they will release PRO next year but maybe I might be wrong. Again, if they do then it will be a slightly addition and not so much. The price will be a little bit higher than that. Not worthy!

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realise the PS5 has been a thing for years, but due to the chip shortage and scalping it still feels decently new - it feels a bit soon for a PS5 Slim.

Any chance of a PS5 Pro...?
The chip shortage was nothing more than exaggeration. Covid hit, companies cancelled their orders, those companies went to the back of the line while other orders were fulfilled.

Reactions: Cyphernoodle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o