News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
mercluke said:
QUOTE said:
but GBAtemp is called "PirateTemp" and "GBAfail" for a reason.
where the fuck did you learn to read? Banner says "GBAtemp.net" on my end

Also, if you look down on this site so much then kindly get the fuck out *points at door*
I dont look down on this site, I just summon up the facts. Just open your eyes.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jonesman99 said:
Smh... So now that Sony probably figures that they cant make a firmware update to bypass this, they are deciding to sue.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. They probably accepted that they're boned and can't do anything about it.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But George Hotz, one of the hackers at the centre of the controversy, told BBC News that he was "comfortable" the action would not succeed.

"I am a firm believer in digital rights," Mr Hotz said.

"I would expect a company that prides itself on intellectual property to be well versed in the provisions of the law, so I am disappointed in Sony's current action.

"I have spoken with legal counsel and I feel comfortable that Sony's action against me doesn't have any basis."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12171423

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter if Sony looses as long as they bankrupt their enemies with legal bills. Funny how they were boasting the other day how they'd fix this with a little firmware update. Boy would I have liked to be a fly on the wall at the Sony board meeting. I'd imagine some heads are going to roll this.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehh personally i think that sony is gonna loose this case cause the keys are already out so anyone can grab them and
make theyre own CFW and Distribute it in Private sites not shown to the public so they cant do jack shit but sit theyre and
go "Man, We Fucked Up"
PS. I see Sony is Shutting Down Many Of Iso Sites cause one site i went to yesterday and today it turned into a advertising site.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
XXLANCEXX said:
Ehh personally i think that sony is gonna loose this case cause the keys are already out so anyone can grab them and
make theyre own CFW and Distribute it in Private sites not shown to the public so they cant do jack shit but sit theyre and
go "Man, We Fucked Up"
PS. I see Sony is Shutting Down Many Of Iso Sites cause one site i went to yesterday and today it turned into a advertising site.

ever heard of P2P my friend?
smileipb2.png

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thug4L1f3 said:
This is what happens when you make a public blog documenting your hacks.
Wait for a proper CFW from a team and not just one guy with a big ego in a small basement.

Someone doesn't know what a blog is. Geohot's site certainly was/is not a blog.

Anyway, I notice Geohot hasn't removed the keys/tools, and still has a link on the front page of his site to the old front page with the keys and links to his various tools and the jailbreak PUP. I only skimmed the documents (so please don't flame me if I'm wrong), but I think in them it said Geohot et al were NOT to delete any form of records of these releases, which I take to mean it would actually be a bad thing for him to remove all this stuff, but yet it also orders them to stop distributing these "circumventions"...I need to take some time and read them more thoroughly though.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Geohot always has been the one to take all the credit - now it's finally time for him to take the fall that comes with said credit.
Still, Sony always was going to take action against anyone who (even indirectly) encourages piracy on their platforms, and avoiding the usual crap - it's wrong to use an exploit like this purely for piracy.

The only thing I really want to see on PS3 is a port of XBMC (with the obvious enhancements and improvements).

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stanleyopar2000 said:
XXLANCEXX said:
go "Man, We Fucked Up"

ever heard of P2P my friend?
smileipb2.png
yup yup thats what i was thinking about but i forgot what it was called thank you for refreshing my mind lol

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Within two days, the group [FAIL0VERFLOW] began publishing the code, software tools and scrambled or encrypted keys derived from their circumvention of the TPMs on Twitter and other websites

I didn't think fail0verflow released anything. Keys or software. (This is from "Motion for TRO.pdf")

QUOTE said:
By doing so, Hotz purposefully compromised the confidentiality of those Keys and invited other software pirates to incorporate the Keys into their own circumvention technology.

"other software pirates"? That blatantly implies that Geohot himself is a software pirate, which is both unproven and largely irrelevant to this case.

QUOTE said:
The 3.55 Firmware Jailbreak code allows users to install and run unauthorized software – including pirated video games – in circumvention of the TPMs on the PS3 System.

I thought you couldn't pirate with just Geohot's 3.55 jailbreak?

SCEA Has Demonstrated An Indisputable Likelihood of Success On T7he Merits Of Its DMCA Claim

lol typo.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
SifJar said:
Thug4L1f3 said:
This is what happens when you make a public blog documenting your hacks.
Wait for a proper CFW from a team and not just one guy with a big ego in a small basement.

Someone doesn't know what a blog is. Geohot's site certainly was/is not a blog.

Blog, site, whatever. Stay anonymous, stay safe.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
QUOTE said:
Within two days, the group [FAIL0VERFLOW] began publishing the code, software tools and scrambled or encrypted keys derived from their circumvention of the TPMs on Twitter and other websites

I didn't think fail0verflow released anything. Keys or software. (This is from "Motion for TRO.pdf")
They did.
http://git.fail0verflow.com/
They took it down now (understandably).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pippin666 said:
They might aswell add WiiPower.

Pip'

Because he did...? AFAIK, WiiPower doesn't have a PS3 and has done nothing towards hacking it.

Rydian said:
They did.
http://git.fail0verflow.com/
They took it down now (understandably).

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

QUOTE said:
The FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants confirmed their collaboration with Hots by posting the following statement on their Twitter page: "We discovered how to get the keys...Geohot exploited metldr, then used our trick to get its keys"

That's not collaboration. Collaboration is people working together on something. They did something, and then he took their work and did something else, something they may not have intended to do (or at least release). Their aim was to get Linux back, I don't believe metldr keys were necessary for that. Certainly in one of the other documents it had fail0verflow quoted as saying that Geohot releasing those keys was unnecessary and harmful to Sony because it would eventually lead to piracy.

EDIT: QUOTE
Even the FAIL0VERFLOW Defendants, when interviewed, admitted that they expect Mr. Hotz’s conduct “to make piracy easier without accomplishing anything intrinsically useful.”

Not 100% sure this is specifically the metldr keys, but its related at least.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
The documents are quite interessting. Sony claims that GeoHot did hack the console because he wants a job, lol.
Yeah, they're just mixing words to try and make Geohot look like an extortionist.
At not point did he say "I know how to hack your console, hire me or else", it was more like an offer to Sony that his abilities would make a future system secure against such an exploit.

Ya know, in case Sony didn't learn from such a stupid mistake themselves.

DAZA

Shaun's Mum
Trophies
XP
i love sonys desperate attempt to stop it, knowing full well their fucked and cant stop HOMEBREW from happening on their console despite them saying they can sort it with updates lol. They made shit loads of money and it has taken a long time before the ps3 exploits were taken advantage of so sony should bit the bullet and say they screwed up on loopholes in their system and have done with it lol

Geohot well done for pulling their pants down and showing sonys
South%20Park%20Bin%20Laden%20Penis.gif

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Fuck seriously

IMAO. There is two sides to one coin. Everybody fucking knows this. Whether the intent was to promote piracy or not, it was going to happen. Sony should spend more of their time improving their shitty products then fighting in a court for money that they will never make back. Move forward assholes. Prevent future piracy. Fighting the existing one will give room for more future piracy b/c the scene will fight back that much harder.

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`·¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯\
……..(‘(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
………\……………..’…../
……….”…\………. _.·´
…………\…………..(
…………..\………….\…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean an archive if a person wants to buy an older Xbox for the exploit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think there is a way to archive older update files or no one's cared to so if patched already screwed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm still not sure how it works, but yea MS offers newest updates only, you can't find old
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found a internet archive that's up to 2021 that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or if you are on on old fw, it won't let you online till u update to newest
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm still not getting that hyped over it I can play my pc game that I torrented with a torrent for Xbox that's the same game woo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea @SylverReZ the Durango dumps have all I've heard of till now that was significant
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If they enable stealth online like the good old jtag days that'll be different
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    #BringBackGodModeOnline
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #makekensmomwashdatass
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    #MakeDaTempGreatAgain
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm sorry, i feel bad now.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yo momma is just fine as she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really don't
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't we just go back to waking each other's dicks again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No! We said we' d never mention that agai...no I mean what are you talking about, thats ridiculous
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can hug and make up which part of your body would you like kissed sir
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just wanna spoon and...no I'm not falling for your tricks anymore, I've moved on.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes I know about your deep love you have for @SylverReZ but I was your first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could've been polly thinking about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its not your baby, no matter how much you what it to be, we were separated at that time.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We sound like Mexican soap operas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I miss polly, he took alot shit but was fun messing with him
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I miss polly, he took alot shit but was fun messing with him