Sony has acquired Resogun and Returnal developer Housemarque

unttltl.png

While we might be more familiar with Microsoft making game studio acquisitions as of late, that doesn't mean Sony hasn't been doing some developer shopping of its own. A new addition to the PlayStation family has been made, as Housemarque has been purchased by Sony. They've worked with Sony Computer Entertainment multiple times in the past, creating games like Super Stardust HD, Resogun, Matterfall, and most recently, Returnal--each of which has been exclusive to PlayStation platforms.

Today is a big day for Housemarque and it has been over 26 years in the making. Our strong partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment started with Super Stardust HD on PS3 and since then we have made arcade inspired games for all of the PlayStation platforms. With Returnal for PS5, our most recent release, our biggest foray into third-person action gaming solidified our voice and brand in the industry as delivering unique and quality player experiences.

We are so excited to finally join the PlayStation Studios family! This gives our studio a clear future and a stable opportunity to continue delivering on gameplay centric approaches, while still experimenting with new methods of narrative delivery and pushing the boundaries of this modern artform. Locally here in Helsinki, this also means that we will officially expand the PlayStation family to a growing industry hub and secure the legacy of the oldest game studio in Finland.

Finally, what this means for our fans? We at Housemarque are gamers, and we have grown from the need to perfect and tinker with facets of games that we have found most fascinating. We are also not known for shying away from running our own course and trying out new combinations. With the backing of SIE and its family of studios supporting us, we can truly grow into our place in the industry and show what Housemarque can create with no limitations. We can’t wait to show everyone what will be in store in the upcoming years, and we hope to usher in more lasting memories and exhilarating titles for the next quarter century and beyond.

In regards to the buyout, Housemarque's co-founder expressed excitement at being a part of PlayStation Studios, and that the developers will, with the funding and backing of Sony, be free from limitations that have held them back in the past.

Curiously, Bluepoint Games, a developer who has also worked together with Sony for remasters of popular series like Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Demon's Souls, Gravity Rush Remastered, and the Shadow of the Colossus remaster was dragged into the situation. When announcing the Housemarque acquisition, Sony Japan posted a Tweet that instead welcomed Bluepoint Games to the Sony family. The mistake hasn't yet been clarified by Sony, and was deleted shortly after being made.

:arrow: Source

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Wake me up when Sony decides to up their ante by owning big companies like Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega.

Heck, if Microsoft was able to buy Bethesda Softworks, what's stopping Sony from buying those companies?

Maybe Sony has tried, but smart publishers have now realised that only good way forward is platform indepence, not tying your products to specific hardware. Even the last bastion of doggedness, Atlus, seems to finally have realised this.

//EDIT Just in, Atlus West announced Persona 4 Golden has sold 1 million copies on Steam. Kinda fortifies my belief, that multiplatform is the way to go.

Anon_Cypher_ said:
Bethesda isn't bad. It's just that they're more akin to criticism due to how buggy their previous games have been. They're doing much better now. Not only that, they're one of the companies who actually supports the modding community unlike other developers.

I haven't really seen real game breakers on Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim. The open world architecture with possibility to heavily mod the games is a major QA pain, and would be to any company. Just too many permutations for player actions and whatnot to really test them all, if the game is planned to release anywhen.

Last edited by lwiz,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wake me up when Sony decides to up their ante by owning big companies like Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega.

:lol::lol::lol: Sony doesn't need any of those. They own studios capable of making games far and above the ones you mentioned.

Heck, if Microsoft was able to buy Bethesda Softworks, what's stopping Sony from buying those companies?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. That Sony couldn't have afforded Bethesda if they wanted to? Imo Sony owns studios that have made far better games than Bethesda has. But there's also this.... whats stopping MS from buying those others? Oh. That's right. No one wants to. So why point the finger solely at Sony on that one?

Starting a feud, are we?

A difference of opinion is starting a feud? It's almost as if, you know, YOU are starting a feud. See how that works? Sucker Punch, Santa Monica Studio, Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, XDev Europe, etc. are no laughing matters and all much more capable than Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega. I'm not sure if you were joking or not.... but Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega???? LMAO!!!!!!

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Recently I have been playing the original Stardust for Amiga 500, when they were Terramarque, and holy S it is hard as hell. The first remake for CD32, Super Stardust, was way easier thanks to the improved controls, but still pretty impossible.

You definitely don't want to left the gameplay side of a game to a demoscene group xD

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
Yes , given history... i trust microsoft disbanding studios, deteriorating brands and burying IPs... so, good thing they are now with a proper videogame company.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You must be an interesting folk to analize... look at these...

"Splatoon 3? more like The Same Game 3"
"Story of Seasons is dead"
"Who still uses their PSvita "

Look at this gem... i was slaying qanon trolls in 9gag and reddit , i never thought i found one here. Oh baby, drop it like is hot mofo.
"The Biden dictatorship starts today"
I bet you are an antivaxxer and think jesus is big foot and both are real...
you better be ready my boy. I've seen the worst of your kind already.
:lol::lol::lol: Sony doesn't need any of those. They own studios capable of making games far and above the ones you mentioned.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. That Sony couldn't have afforded Bethesda if they wanted to? Imo Sony owns studios that have made far better games than Bethesda has. But there's also this.... whats stopping MS from buying those others? Oh. That's right. No one wants to. So why point the finger solely at Sony on that one?

A difference of opinion is starting a feud? It's almost as if, you know, YOU are starting a feud. See how that works? Sucker Punch, Santa Monica Studio, Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, XDev Europe, etc. are no laughing matters and all much more capable than Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega. I'm not sure if you were joking or not.... but Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega???? LMAO!!!!!!
don't mind me, just quoting these just in case...

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't mind me, just quoting these just in case...

In case of what? Out with it. Why the passive aggressiveness? Why quote them in the first place if you weren't going to even reply to any of the statements you quoted? I mean, they're right there in the whopping 2 page thread for all to see. What exactly is your point of collecting them in a single post with no reply to them? All you did was quote some stuff and say "Don't mind me. I just like quoting posts in a 2 page thread for future use, but I'm keeping the rest a secret."

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

Vila_

Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
In case of what? Out with it. Why the passive aggressiveness? Why quote them in the first place if you weren't going to even reply to any of the statements you quoted? I mean, they're right there in the whopping 2 page thread for all to see. What exactly is your point of collecting them in a single post with no reply to them? All you did was quote some stuff and say "Don't mind me. I just like quoting posts in a 2 page thread for future use, but I'm keeping the rest a secret."
as I said, don't mind me...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1