Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
How is it running android but it’s streaming only? This thing makes less and less sense

Just give us a big screen with an XMB like UI with the option for local games. It can’t be THAT hard

I think it’s one of the few things about this item that makes sense, even with it’s restricted use/wasted potential. By using Android most of the ‘hard work’ is already done by AOSP and they just need to modify their existing streaming app.

Other things might have incurred increased development time/costs.

Reactions: raging_chaos

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn another randomware android device for streaming...

I wonder how many millions of streaming devices are out there cause basically anything android already works as a streaming device and many people already have HD+, 2k resolutions, OLED and so on what's the god damn point of another 8 inch 1080P randomware that probably will suck even as a android tablet...

Now if Sony really started making exclusive games to run directly on it it's a whole different beast cause if they make actual good games ppl might be able to run them on any other android device later hacked and every android device could maybe win a few quality games but I don't think so from Sony...

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, you're trying to redefine what peripherals and handhelds are. This is not a handheld device because it doesn't work without being tethered to another console.

Handheld devices are portable and self-contained, they function independently without the need for external connections. Peripherals, like controllers, rely on being connected to a primary device (such as a gaming console) to work as intended.

If we later find out that it has onboard storage and allows full game downloads for play without a connection to your home console, then we can call it a hybrid handheld.

Wait. You literally told someone else they are wrong and redefining words, then proceeded to be wrong by redefining words to fit your own narrative? LMAO! A handheld device is something you hold in your hand while using. Stop trying to nit pic with stupid word play. It's a handheld gaming device. Period. Otherwise, show me some sort of evidence that a handheld device is ONLY one that can "function independently without the need for external connections". You made that up in your own redefining of the term.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sony needs to halt production and make this device capable of being used in portrait mode. I'll probably buy it anyway, which means this will be a success. Sorry guys. :(

(But I'll be one of the first to hack it. ;) Come back to your roots gbatemp)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean the platform that is filled to the brim with scammers?
The XDA forums are really helpful for Android users and personally, a lot of solutions I need are found there. Just now, I got rid of the Samsung Account tab on the Settings from my phone by looking it up on XDA.

There's probably scammers everywhere, so just gotta know who to avoid.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait. You literally told someone else they are wrong and redefining words, then proceeded to be wrong by redefining words to fit your own narrative? LMAO! A handheld device is something you hold in your hand while using. Stop trying to nit pic with stupid word play.

The irony of this post isn't even laughable, it's just sad. By that made-up definition, a boy playing with a 'stick' is using a handheld device.

Once again, this device is not a new console, it is a peripheral. Until Sony says otherwise that is exactly what this is. The majority seem to get that it's Sony's version of the Wii U controller, the ones that are dreaming of a new Sony PSP/Vita or that Sony will be creating Android games need to let that idea go.

Otherwise, show me some sort of evidence that a handheld device is ONLY one that can "function independently without the need for external connections". You made that up in your own redefining of the term.

Handheld devices that are marketed as gaming consoles are designed to be portable and offer a self-contained user experience. They are intended to be used on-the-go without the need for additional peripherals or connections to function properly. The burden of proof is on you if you wish to claim that statement as false. I'm not here to educate you, that was the job of whatever instructors you've had in the past. Hint: if your only source is "Google" you've already failed.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The irony of this post isn't even laughable, it's just sad. By that made-up definition, a boy playing with a 'stick' is using a handheld device.

Once again, this device is not a new console, it is a peripheral. Until Sony says otherwise that is exactly what this is. The majority seem to get that it's Sony's version of the Wii U controller, the ones that are dreaming of a new Sony PSP/Vita or that Sony will be creating Android games need to let that idea go.

Handheld devices that are marketed as gaming consoles are designed to be portable and offer a self-contained user experience. They are intended to be used on-the-go without the need for additional peripherals or connections to function properly. The burden of proof is on you if you wish to claim that statement as false. I'm not here to educate you, that was the job of whatever instructors you've had in the past. Hint: if your only source is "Google" you've already failed.

Once again? Please quote where I ever argued about it being a console or not. Let alone twice. Just like I never argued about it being a streaming gaming device or not. You keep arguing points that I never even brought up. And you want to talk about redefining and moving posts when you've been doing nothing but? LOL!

It's a gaming device because you play games on it. Pretty simple. Streaming or not is irrelevant to it being a gaming device. It's a handheld gaming device because you hold it in your hands while you're gaming on it. Again, pretty simple. And the stick comparison? You have to be kidding. You know full well what type of devices we're referring to. That's just dumb and you know it. You're playing stupid, grade school level, tit for tat word games trying to win your strawman arguments. Streaming? Yup. Handheld? Yup? Console? Nope. It's still a handheld gaming device. You made the claim that it's not. Please provide your proofs. Your personal definitions are not proof.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please quote where I ever argued about it being a console or not.
That's the only point that's being discussed and you're jumping in mid-conversation nitpicking about words.

The topic is whether or not this is a new console or peripheral that's being made by Sony. There's no question it's going to be held in your hand.

That wall of text you're posting is useless. It is not a new portable console, period. Quit moving goal posts.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's the only point that's being discussed and you're jumping in mid-conversation nitpicking about words.

You jumped in other peoples conversation on whether it's a "handheld gaming device" or not and started making crazy accusations towards others.

There's no question it's going to be held in your hand.

Awesome. So you admit now that it's a handheld. So what exactly are you arguing again? Ohhhh. This:

It is not a new portable console, period. Quit moving goal posts.

Once again, you're arguing something I never even stated. How many times does this need to be pointed out to you? I have never once stated that it is a portable console. Never. Period. I have never tried to argue that with you a single time. The only one constantly redefining words and moving goal posts is yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: