Sony Pushes PSN Exclusives - PS2 Games on PSN...

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Sony is continuing to take the initiative to bolster its PlayStation Network following the disastrous hack earlier this year. Not only did Sony add another $20 million this summer to a Pub Fund it started a couple years ago, but today the company announced a new "Only On PlayStation Network" program to stress its flow of exclusive gaming content.

Starting on October 4, every Tuesday in the month will see several new exclusives on PSN, including Pub Fund titles like Eufloria and Okabu, as well as inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller. And the program will also feature a selection of "rare classic games" added to the store on October 4, including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red.

Consumers who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a 20% discount during the launch week of each “Only On PSN” game. On top of that, if you spend $60 or more out of your PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Wallet throughout the month of October, you'll be able to receive a $10 store credit towards purchases in November. This promotion isn't limited to just games - spending can be on add-ons, PlayStation Home micro-transactions, TV shows, movies, Music Unlimited subscriptions, etc.

“‘Only On PlayStation Network’ is our line of great exclusive games that users can count on to deliver exciting game experiences that can’t be found anywhere else,” said Susan Panico, senior director of PlayStation Network, SCEA. “This strong initial content offering, combined with the day one discounts for PlayStation Plus subscribers and the ‘Spend $60, Get $10 Back’ promotion, makes PlayStation Network the premier destination for digital content.”

The lineup in the program is as follows: October 4 - Eufloria and Rochard; October 11 - Sideway: New York; October 13 - Sodium Collection; October 18 - Okabu and RocketBirds; October 25 - inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood and PixelJunk Sidescroller.

IndustryGamers spoke with Susan Panico about the program and Sony's continued push for exclusives. We'll be bringing you that soon. [/p]Source

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
FireGrey said:
PS2 games on PSN?
Well I want to play the games that i bought for PS2 on the PS3!!!
Why would I just re-purchase games i already have?
If you notice it said rare classic games so maybe not everyone has access to these games? I certainly don't since I own a PS3 Slim and no PS2.
Stop thinking of yourself since you are not forced to buy them.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
FireGrey said:
PS2 games on PSN?
If you notice it said rare classic games so maybe not everyone has access to these games? I certainly don't since I own a PS3 Slim and no PS2.
Still, we should be able to play PS2 game discs on the PS3...

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
FireGrey said:
prowler_ said:
FireGrey said:
PS2 games on PSN?

Do you want to pay more for PS2 compatibility.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never played any of these games and only remember the name Maximo.

By rare they mean early games, but it would be nice if they added some games from late in the PS2's life as well.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
chartube12 said:
By rare they mean early games, but it would be nice if they added some games from late in the PS2's life as well.
What?

God Hand (2007)
GrimGrimoire (2007)
Odin Sphere (2007 (2008 for Europe))
Ring of Red (2001)
Maximo (2002)

God Hand, Grim and Odin Sphere are the games I'm most looking forward to since I've never played them and people seem to go on about them so much.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
emigre said:
FireGrey said:
prowler_ said:
FireGrey said:
PS2 games on PSN?

Do you want to pay more for PS2 compatibility.

Regardless that I have a PS2 phat (not modded in any way), the load times for games like FFXII are quite long on times. Loading them via the PS3 (emulated would probably be the way to go in this case) could possibly lead to shorter load times. Considering the PS2 costs around 99$ nowadays (new, not used), adding a few $$ for compatibility on the PS3 wouldn't be that bad. Especially if someone has been thinking of buying a PS3 and suddenly the PS2 breaks beyond repair (in other words, cheaper to buy a new PS2). On the other hand, I like the idea of getting PS2 games on PSN, at least those who don't have a PS2 can enjoy them
smile.gif

-Qtis

ps. Wouldn't it be quite easy to make an emulator if PS2 games work via PSN?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
FireGrey said:

And we should play GBA games on the DSi. Or Gamecube games on the new Wiis. Oh wait, no one gives a shit.

Seriously, stop complaining just because it's fucking Sony. I'm getting sick of this.
But PS2 is perfectly capable of playing PS2 games like the hacked PS3s with a simple firmware update...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
But PS2 is perfectly capable of playing PS2 games like the hacked PS3s with a simple firmware update...

Um, what are you talking about.

Newer PS3s don't have backwards compatibility because it's been physically removed from the system. Like to cut down costs they removed components that made PS2 BC possible. Older PS3s still support PS2 BC. Odds are they're gonna be porting these "classics" a bit like God of War Collection or they're developing a PS2 emu.

Even then, all you do is complain about Sony when Nintendo has done the same exact thing. DSi has no GBA compatibility. For what, a bunch of flimsy "DSiWare games"? New Wiis in Europe (nicknamed the "Wii Slim") have no Gamecube BC. Why? To cut down costs so they can sell it for less. Sounds pretty familiar.

But I forgot, Nintendo is Jesus reincarnate.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Qtis said:
They aren't emulated, Slims cannot emulate PS2 games unlike the newer PS3 Phats which can, the older Phats have full support over PS2 games.

These are likely to be ported instead of emulated.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
FireGrey said:

Um, what are you talking about.

Newer PS3s don't have backwards compatibility because it's been physically removed from the system. Like to cut down costs they removed components that made PS2 BC possible. Older PS3s still support PS2 BC. Odds are they're gonna be porting these "classics" a bit like God of War Collection or they're developing a PS2 emu.

Even then, all you do is complain about Sony when Nintendo has done the same exact thing. DSi has no GBA compatibility. For what, a bunch of flimsy "DSiWare games"? New Wiis in Europe (nicknamed the "Wii Slim") have no Gamecube BC. Why? To cut down costs so they can sell it for less. Sounds pretty familiar.

But I forgot, Nintendo is Jesus reincarnate.
I thought hacked ps3s can run ps2 games, so why not do that officially?

DSi didn't cost less, it was about the same price as the DSLite when it launched i think, maybe about $20 more.
The Wii Slim didnt come out an instant after the wii came out...replacing an $1000 normal wii (australia btw).

You cant complain with jesus.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FireGrey said:
I thought hacked ps3s can run ps2 games, so why not do that officially?
I don't think they can. If you have a launch PS3 it'll have some PS2 BC, but there's no way to add it to a console that never had it. Well... Sony might be able to do it, but they're not going to now that they're selling PS2 games on PSN. Why let you play your old games when they can get you to buy them again?

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
FireGrey said:
I thought hacked ps3s can run ps2 games, so why not do that officially?No they can't.QUOTE(thaddius @ Oct 3 2011, 01:14 PM) I don't think they can. If you have a launch PS3 it'll have some PS2 BC, but there's no way to add it to a console that never had it. Well... Sony might be able to do it, but they're not going to now that they're selling PS2 games on PSN. Why let you play your old games when they can get you to buy them again?
Sony (and other devs/publishers) are porting the game. There's a difference between porting and emulation.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
prowler_ said:
Qtis said:
They aren't emulated, Slims cannot emulate PS2 games unlike the newer PS3 Phats which can, the older Phats have full support over PS2 games.

These are likely to be ported instead of emulated.

Wrong. Slims can emulate the PS2 using a pure software emulator though it doesn't work very well (and hasn't been updated since firmware 2.x). if you have a Cobra USB dongle. There are severe limitations, such as having to plug in the PS3 controller into a USB port and the fact that the memory cards don't work with many games. Not to mention many games are very slow or won't work at all. You can find a partial list here http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtop...?f=57&t=530 .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PiiXM51oBo