Sony showcases loading times for their next generation hardware versus the PS4 Pro

Ps4-Playstation-4-V2-Logo-Decal-Sticker__00068.1511152916.jpg

The next generation of gaming isn't quite here yet, but we're starting to see glimpses of what will be, through teases and hinting. Today, we got another look at what Sony has up its sleeves, during a corporate strategy meeting. Takashi Mochizuki, a reporter for The Wall Street Journal attended the meeting, where he took video of Sony showcasing "immersive" and "seamless" loading for their next-gen successor to the PlayStation 4.

8GrtQJi.png

• The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation® are “immersive” and “seamless.”
    • Next-generation console: “Immersive” experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.
    • PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of “Remote Play” and “PlayStation™Now,” provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.
      • Remote Play: Turns PlayStation®4(PS4™), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.
      • PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.
  • Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation “The Best Place to Play” by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.
    • As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services.

In the footage, we can see Spider-Man running on a PlayStation 4 Pro, as well as the upcoming new PlayStation system. Quickly loading the game world on the PS4 Pro results in pauses for the game to render everything, while the "PS5" that's running the same game has no major loading times. According to the press release, this is partly due to "a customized, ultra-fast broadband solid state drive".

We will harness the power of new technology to offer completely transformative and immersive gaming experiences We will leverage Backwards Compatibility to transition our community to Next Gen faster and more seamlessly than ever before We provide stability of environment for content creators

OAsvmOv.png

Additionally, an investor briefing goes into more detail, mentioning that the PlayStation 4 will still provide a "critical role" for around three more years, with major AAA games still arriving on the platform, like The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding, and Ghosts of Tsushima, which will ensure success due to the massive amount of PS4 owners. Sony has lofty goals for their new hardware, specifying backwards compatibility, 3D audio, more powerful components, the ability to still use physical media, and even 8K.

:arrow: Source: PR
:arrow: Source: Briefing

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The only ps4 game that I played in which loading times had an impact was the Pillars of Eternity port. I can barely notice a 8 second loading screen.

I can have super fast loading screens on a PS4 or even PS3 as long as I swap their HDD with an SSD yet they try to showcase this as new tech.

Sony people are acting like grade A scammers trying to showcase features that are irrelevant/redundant/already existant on their products. I could bet people are way more interested in the console being able to run PS3 discs than this.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
8k LMFAO no fucking way in hell. pc can't do it even so ps5 sure in hell won't be able to!! 4k isn't even properly doable yet on ALL the consoles without using rendering and fps reducing tricks SO 8k is at least 10 years away :rofl2:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Peloisan

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's simply putting an high speed NVMe SSD (like Samsung 970 PRO or EVO). They can reach and soon they'll exceed 3000 MB/s.
This is nothing new: a lot of PC games installed on NVMe load in almost 1/5 or even 1/10 the time taken by PS4 HDD :

PS4 users don't sense this until they play PC games. I even hated Street Fighter 5 on PS4 compared to PC because of its looong loading time.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 8K comment is just there coz 4K is ssooo PS4 Pro/last years news, and will probably be as much use as the 4K mode on Switch - movie playback at most..
As for the loading times - well the SSD focus on consoles is welcome. MS will of course follow suit, but yeah let's not get too excited about this showcase difference! Anyone remember that real-time wizard/orc video thingie they showed us running on PS4 hardware? ...Anyone remember the initial PS3 reveal!? :lol:
It will be a noticeable improvement coming from a PS4 of course though.

Reactions: Deleted User

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Backwards-compatibility is one thing. But with all that PSNow stuff and the PS4 being built around streaming... where's the forwards-compatibility? Why is nobody talking about that? I mean, put those PS5 games on PSNow from the start. It won't be the real deal, but people could play those and see what to expect from buying a PS5 (which might even incentivize getting one).

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe just maybe they pulled that next generation time from their ass and when the ps5 is released it will be from 8 secs down to 4 secs but I could be wrong.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya'll do know they may be reffering to ray tracing for sound and not graphics at all right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Maybe just maybe they pulled that next generation time from their ass and when the ps5 is released it will be from 8 secs down to 4 secs but I could be wrong.
iirc they have been testing with ps4 games and ps5 games are likely to use higher quality assets so that is likely the case for any game made more so with the ps5 in mind.

graeme122

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ya'll do know they may be reffering to ray tracing for sound and not graphics at all right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

iirc they have been testing with ps4 games and ps5 games are likely to use higher quality assets so that is likely the case for any game made more so with the ps5 in mind.

Maybe but I'll stick with they had a meeting and some ponce shouted a number from their ass "0.83 secs"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.