Soulja Boy stops selling consoles from his store

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Word is, He is in Dubai living his best life for now while reaping the rewards of "his" labour. He'll be back when that well dries up :) & Im sure Ninty will be there waiting to welcome him back & crank that ass at the same time ;)

I guess that's somehow better than losing everything to Nintendo but he's still getting arrested. However, if he decided to move to a country where Nintendo couldn't sue him, then that could work for him.

Soulja isn't no soldier.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
View attachment 153743

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
hahah yeah right i bet nintendo shoved a DMCA so far up his ass he shit his pants and caved in! idiot rappers think they can do anything they want by just talking and rhyming and calling it music :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly he was uneducated on these things he had a mindset that just b/c the games are old he can re-sell them under his brand.
Glad this crap is over now ppl can talk about something different in the media

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Clearly he was uneducated on these things he had a mindset that just b/c the games are old he can re-sell them under his brand.
Glad this crap is over now ppl can talk about something different in the media
"media"

When it was just YouTubers who had nothing else to make videos about and bought Soulja'' "products" to get views.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"media"

When it was just YouTubers who had nothing else to make videos about and bought Soulja'' "products" to get views.
YouTube is a form of mass media nowadays, especially with bigger channels that regularly push out content

That isn't to say they should be trusted necessarily in the same way as investigative journalists, but it does fall under that umbrella

Reactions: RattletraPM

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"media"

Its been popping up in various websites that have news feeds as well thanks to YouTube sources. The entire month of December thats all ppl ever talked about
The only thing interesting to see was the specs/inside of the console. But yeah anyone still making vids of him are just beating on a dead horse at this point

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, I know a lot of you are going to hate what I have to say but here it goes.

I'm pissed off at Soulja Boy. Not because he dared to get into the industry but because he gave up without correcting what was needed. We all know that selling Android boxes is not a crime but yes, he went about it the wrong way by including ROMs. Everyone here knows how I feel about Android boxes. That said I think Soulja really had something with the Fuze. He just needed a few alterations. I refuse to hate on any person that dares to enter the industry. It's never a easy venture and we as supporters of the industry should applaud people that try, even when we think their offering is useless. The catch as always is that the person making the venture needs to cover all bases and do things the right way. Here are a few thing he should have done...

1) nix all ROMs

2) drop the price to 99-129.99. That way it's competitive

3) open up an app store but just like OUYA, ONLY allow games with controller support

4) build a community via communication apps and message boards

5) change the UI of the Fuze so that it has proper Soulja branding.

6) have goals for your platform. OUYA's major issue was a lack of direction.

In hind sight it seems like Soulja was going at this alone. No marketing team, no IT department, nothing. It's a crying shame because for all the hate he received we all know that if any of us had the same ability to do what he did, we would have our own vision of how things should be done. I'm pretty sure that many of us here would love to create and release our own platform if we could (...hell I'm surprised that Temp hasn't partnered up with hardware manufacturers to make their own box ;) ).

I'm done ranting. I just wanted to get my final two cents out because, while I see a lot of people hating, I don't see many people thinking about the shoe being on the other foot. Many of us will one day take a stab at trying to enter the industry, either as journalist, developers, R&D engineers and so on. Instead of stepping over each other, as a community we need to learn to mentor, give constructive criticism when needed and support new ideas.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know what, I know a lot of you are going to hate what I have to say but here it goes.

I'm pissed off at Soulja Boy. Not because he dared to get into the industry but because he gave up without correcting what was needed. We all know that selling Android boxes is not a crime but yes, he went about it the wrong way by including ROMs. Everyone here knows how I feel about Android boxes. That said I think Soulja really had something with the Fuze. He just needed a few alterations. I refuse to hate on any person that dares to enter the industry. It's never a easy venture and we as supporters of the industry should applaud people that try, even when we think their offering is useless. The catch as always is that the person making the venture needs to cover all bases and do things the right way. Here are a few thing he should have done...

1) nix all ROMs

2) drop the price to 99-129.99. That way it's competitive

3) open up an app store but just like OUYA, ONLY allow games with controller support

4) build a community via communication apps and message boards

5) change the UI of the Fuze so that it has proper Soulja branding.

6) have goals for your platform. OUYA's major issue was a lack of direction.

In hind sight it seems like Soulja was going at this alone. No marketing team, no IT department, nothing. It's a crying shame because for all the hate he received we all know that if any of us had the same ability to do what he did, we would have our own vision of how things should be done. I'm pretty sure that many of us here would love to create and release our own platform if we could (...hell I'm surprised that Temp hasn't partnered up with hardware manufacturers to make their own box ;) ).

I'm done ranting. I just wanted to get my final two cents out because, while I see a lot of people hating, I don't see many people thinking about the shoe being on the other foot. Many of us will one day take a stab at trying to enter the industry, either as journalist, developers, R&D engineers and so on. Instead of stepping over each other, as a community we need to learn to mentor, give constructive criticism when needed and support new ideas.

"He just needed a few alterations"
Wouldn't that first mean a single alteration be done?

"we all know that if any of us had the same ability to do what he did"
Drop ship an item from a Chinese seller from a CMS web script? Yeah I recall fiddling with websites a decade ago that could do that, indeed it was actually quite popular.

" I'm pretty sure that many of us here would love to create and release our own platform if we could (...hell I'm surprised that Temp hasn't partnered up with hardware manufacturers to make their own box ;)"
Why go through all the effort when the hardware is almost inconsequential these days and it is the software that runs on it that is the key? Also many members here have been fairly extensively involved in creating such things over the years and as a site staff rule we do like homebrew, homebrew OSes and more besides. We could probably have lent more into the dingux, GP family and Pandora stuff but eh.

I am at a loss for why this got as much coverage as it did* -- clueless business cunt (given his responses to things cunt it is) tries their hand at this sort of thing and fails horribly** is not really all that uncommon. By all means point and laugh

*I don't know if it is just a function of being a recent event but I am seeing it make worst fails of the year lists.

**it is not like it was some weird quirk of law that they got caught up in, or the market shifted out from underneath them, or there was a massive shift in tech or shift that only the really involved could have predicted, or that their funding suddenly dried up, or that a source of their tech ran out of supply, or that there was some unexpected hardware failure that only revealed itself at scale/in the long term, or his would be competitors unfairly ganged up on him... any of the usual things that get a response of "nice effort, sucks that it did not come to pass", or even a "launched too early", "launched before the tech was really there" or "was beaten to market" things that get less charitable responses.

Back to the suggestions.

1) OK
2) Possibly.
3) So now we are into effort and curation, something that this was not about.
4) Effort and curation again but sensible
5) A minor thing I guess, not sure it would have wide appeal here (I figure there is a reason why most business rappers use alternative brand names for their wares not aimed at the fans of rap) but possibly not the worst thing to do.
6) I would have said cluelessness was Ouya's major issue and everything else was spelled out by every pundit out there when the initial fundraising was happening. Amusingly specs did stall out in the end, and now we are seeing the rise of streaming services that might actually do it properly, so they could have made a game system for all time, just probably not at the time.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
this scam actually remind me another rapper named Ricegum, who tried to imitate Logan Paul, who went to Hongkong China to ask for cats or dogs meats at local restaurants, well recently he went underfire cauz he was sponsored to promote a gambling site to kids and even plays victim.

Ridiculous.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to do something like this, use consoles that have hardware/software that doesn't run worse than from something in 1995. Chinese companies really need to use CPUs and emulators that run better than Zsnes.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well recently he went underfire cauz he was sponsored to promote a gambling site to kids and even plays victim.
How is that the same?

If you're going to do something like this, use consoles that have hardware/software that doesn't run worse than from something in 1995. Chinese companies really need to use CPUs and emulators that run better than Zsnes.
Are you still blathering about emulation quality?
Simiarly ZSNES works for a lot of people. If you start going to try to impress the golden ear (or people that like to believe they have a golden ear) and similar such people it rapidly becomes a game of diminishing returns.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that the same?

Are you still blathering about emulation quality?
Simiarly ZSNES works for a lot of people. If you start going to try to impress the golden ear (or people that like to believe they have a golden ear) and similar such people it rapidly becomes a game of diminishing returns.

So what if I am? I was making a point, there's no need to piss on my head and call it rain. The quality of these consoles suck ass, and you know it. The games can't even run half speed on those Soulja Boy consoles. Bloody hell. Zsnes was just a comparison, and besides, the Zsnes forums are dead as they're no longer accessible, so that should speak volumes on its current state.

I don't think you need a golden ear to know how badly these games run on his consoles:

And I'm sorry, but just because something runs well for most people, doesn't make it a good emulator, it's been nearly thirteen years since the last update, it's time people moved on from something that can run on a toaster. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, sure, but, if it can't even run 20% of the rest of Snes library without crashing, you have a problem.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can't say I have a golden ear, and unless pointed out normally I couldn't tell the difference between zsnes and bsnes. The problem is, zsnes was actually pretty decent. You'd get 60fps. You wouldn't get perfect sound, but it was in the realm of acceptable. A lot of Chinese* clones that do SNES do a horrible job of it, unless they pirate SNES9x**. Then there's AtGames which actually uses a Genesis on a Chip and still fucked up the sound because they couldn't bother to set the clock rate right. Honestly, I'd love to see a Chinese clone undercut AtGames precisely for their general incompetence.

My point is, it's clearly not that we don't have the hardware or even the software--mame should have a decent enough snes core, there's mednafen, there's bsnes--that could be legally used. There's clearly not a lot of consideration for copyright or even doing the job properly, though, on most fronts. It's why the Raspberry Pi has been so successful, along with hackable things like the Dingoo (and many many clones of it). That's the sad part: a few devote hobbyists almost always do a better job than the companies themselves.

* Not meant to demean China over this, btw. Just generally that's where stuff is assembled.

** Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade

Reactions: the_randomizer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't say I have a golden ear, and unless pointed out normally I couldn't tell the difference between zsnes and bsnes. The problem is, zsnes was actually pretty decent. You'd get 60fps. You wouldn't get perfect sound, but it was in the realm of acceptable. A lot of Chinese* clones that do SNES do a horrible job of it, unless they pirate SNES9x**. Then there's AtGames which actually uses a Genesis on a Chip and still fucked up the sound because they couldn't bother to set the clock rate right. Honestly, I'd love to see a Chinese clone undercut AtGames precisely for their general incompetence.

My point is, it's clearly not that we don't have the hardware or even the software--mame should have a decent enough snes core, there's mednafen, there's bsnes--that could be legally used. There's clearly not a lot of consideration for copyright or even doing the job properly, though, on most fronts. It's why the Raspberry Pi has been so successful, along with hackable things like the Dingoo (and many many clones of it). That's the sad part: a few devote hobbyists almost always do a better job than the companies themselves.

* Not meant to demean China over this, btw. Just generally that's where stuff is assembled.

I agree most Chinese consoles do far worse than tech, and software (even if we don't bruise copyright statutes, if we do, and it is China so no big ask, then even better yet) might actually afford far better than we see, possibly even more so if they decided to look into some of the embedded intel stuff where they would have an even easier time still if software is going to be the more likely limiting factor. I would love to see someone push it to the limit on a budget and give me a hard choice if I am sitting there looking at a 3ds or switch or something with their barely a handful of forgettable games with barren upcoming release charts. Following on from the "how many of us dreamed about" thing above I dare say I am waiting for someone to come out with something such that I could find a design of it, swap out things for a nice dpad with microswitches, a couple of sticks with buttons to match, an oled or better screen of the right PAR and resolution to scale by whole numbers easily enough and then make a consistent UI (I would rather that than the current fetish for all in one emulator programs) and feature set a la the xbox emulator scene to give me a 16 bit and older (including Amiga) and possibly PS1 emulator device.
That said despite such a thing probably being possible since the PSP was mid life (bit later if I am to do X86 as my base) I have not had it, and probably could have done the fiddly stuff with CPUs and all their fiddly requirements if I had truly cared.

It was more I was bored of seeing the_randomizer spam up threads like this
Screenshot_2019-01-05_16-44-49.png

with not terribly well thought through points (either through general relevance, possibly being of minor interest to a small handful of people, relevance to the problem at hand, missing the point of some of the things going on) which gets tedious to see repeatedly happen.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Exactly, it doesn't take a genius or audiophile to know how badly old emulators produce sound compared to the real deal. Snes9x and Higan both use Blargg's S-SMP (SPC700) audio core, which has been tested to be cycle accurate. Zsnes was written in pure ASM for the sake of getting it to run as fast as possible on older hardware, and for the time it ran well enough, but come on people, 1.51 was released in 2006, it's 2019, get with the times. Unless you're running on Windows XP with 1 GB of RAM and a Voodoo 3 GPU, there's no excuse to not change. People are so incessant on the Zsnes GUI being the best thing ever, then use ZMZ. It's a libretro Snes9x core running with the Zsnes GUI.

I agree most Chinese consoles do far worse than tech, and software (even if we don't bruise copyright statutes, if we do, and it is China so no big ask, then even better yet) might actually afford far better than we see, possibly even more so if they decided to look into some of the embedded intel stuff where they would have an even easier time still if software is going to be the more likely limiting factor. I would love to see someone push it to the limit on a budget and give me a hard choice if I am sitting there looking at a 3ds or switch or something with their barely a handful of forgettable games with barren upcoming release charts. Following on from the "how many of us dreamed about" thing above I dare say I am waiting for someone to come out with something such that I could find a design of it, swap out things for a nice dpad with microswitches, a couple of sticks with buttons to match, an oled or better screen of the right PAR and resolution to scale by whole numbers easily enough and then make a consistent UI (I would rather that than the current fetish for all in one emulator programs) and feature set a la the xbox emulator scene to give me a 16 bit and older (including Amiga) and possibly PS1 emulator device.
That said despite such a thing probably being possible since the PSP was mid life (bit later if I am to do X86 as my base) I have not had it, and probably could have done the fiddly stuff with CPUs and all their fiddly requirements if I had truly cared.

It was more I was bored of seeing the_randomizer spam up threads like this
View attachment 154302
with not terribly well thought through points (either through general relevance, possibly being of minor interest to a small handful of people, relevance to the problem at hand, missing the point of some of the things going on) which gets tedious to see repeatedly happen.

Then use the fucking ignore list since you hate me so much :(

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does the job that needs to be done...

Argumentum ad populum, just because something is widespread and popular doesn't make it necessarily good. It's 2006, Zsnes is dead, time to move on to better things. But whatever, you seem hellbent on calling me out anyway, so what's the point in continuing this? What do I know? I'm just an aspie who can't decide where to take his arguments.

Edit: I need a break, badly.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if he'll still ship out units to the people that bought them?
I actually don't think he has to do a thing, if I understand drop shipping correctly. I think as soon as you order on his website, Ali Express or whatever, fills the order and ships it for him? I could be totally wrong though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Argumentum ad populum, just because something is widespread and popular doesn't make it necessarily good. It's 2006, Zsnes is dead, time to move on to better things. But whatever, you seem hellbent on calling me out anyway, so what's the point in continuing this? What do I know? I'm just an aspie who can't decide where to take his arguments.
How is that ad populum?

If it gets the job done at an acceptable level for the people using it* then why berate them to change just for the sake of it.

*it in this case being a problem that remains the same -- it is not like new SNES games are popping up all the time as far as most people are concerned, and most people doing ROM hacks on the platform are of the "should work on hardware" persuasion which ZSNES' hacks should not typically get in the way of, and it is not like most people that played it at the time played with a video mod on a crisp screen and chair which massages your arse as opposed to over RF into a mono 14 inch TV at a poor angle in their bedroom.

There are certainly emulators that are better by almost every objective measure (there are some hacks that make use of emulator shortcomings which newer ones don't replicate, and you will probably have to go to that sort of level to find where ZSNES is objectively superior) but to harp on at poor old ZNES when playing a SNES game via it is going to give you broadly the same experience just seems like an odd thing to do -- is completing Mario on it going to be fundamentally different than BSNES/Higan on frame accurate mode? If someone did said Mario on it are you going to say they have not experienced the game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I heard you like family guy