OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, doublepost. sorry!

Just letting you know that I've set up a Facebook Group thing.

Not sure what all I can do with it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt!
Pop on, post your highscores, keep track of how my updates are coming along, and whinge about any odd issues you're having!

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of demo vs full, I'm currently busying away making a nice big Challenge mode.
It'll be loads of little levels, each with a set of annoying leaps to perform.
Sorted!!!

Plenty to do, but iOS edition only, I'm afraid.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Will the PC version be getting the themes of the online (and iOS?) editions? Or does it already and I missed them?
tongue.gif

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the PC Edition (came first) the themes pop up as you get further through the game.
I decided against that for the iOS/Browser ones, though.
I figured, if I end up with 30-odd themes, you'll probably never get to see the end ones, so I made it selectable instead.
If I get enough time I might whip back and redo the way that the PC version handles the themes. I like the selectable version a bit better! (although it did kinda work for giving you a target.. ho-hum)

There are slight differences between each version, too. All the jumping, the speed of the ball, and height of the spikes for all three, have been done per-system, so any Challenge things that I create won't be compatible with each edition.
There's a few that would be, but for the most part all the challenges would have to be done for that specific edition.
Yes, I could've coded this "better", but I like to aim towards specific devices, and get the feel of a game just right. The size of the spikes, the width of the screen, the speed you can get out of it.. It all comes together to make something more than a port.
And then screws you over later
wink.gif

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just bought it for iPod Touch, even though I thought the PC version controls better because you have a real button with real feedback, real touch as opposed to the touch screen. It feels better when you can rest your finger on a button without pushing it and then applying just the right amount of extra force to dodge the spike. :]

This is why I also want a version for DS (and 3DS:o) maybe you could even sell it on DSiWare. But I guess the process of getting it approved is a lot harder there..

Jayenkai said:
In the PC Edition (came first) the themes pop up as you get further through the game.
I decided against that for the iOS/Browser ones, though.
I figured, if I end up with 30-odd themes, you'll probably never get to see the end ones, so I made it selectable instead.

This is something I really liked in the PC version - it's some kind of additional reward for going further. I get a strangely warm fuzzy sense of accomplishment whenever the spriteset changes and I get the Amiga ball or something else.

Maybe you could just add an option or another mode for iOS that incorporates automatic changing of themes (once you reach various scores or unlock certain "achievements"...?) (psychedelic mode that changes three times a second?)

And speaking about rewards, when in the iOS version you get lots of these star shaped achievements in quick succession they really clutter the middle of the screen where you have to focus (before they move to the right). This sometimes makes it hard to see the next obstacles. So maybe you should make these popups smaller or move them a bit to the top or right.

It also needs a better menu and highscore screen (maybe with online/worldwide/country highscores too - but without sign-up please!).

I'm only suggesting so much because I like this thing and want it to become even better (and hope it can earn you some money).

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cosmiccow said:
I just bought it for iPod Touch, even though I thought the PC version controls better because you have a real button with real feedback, real touch as opposed to the touch screen. It feels better when you can rest your finger on a button without pushing it and then applying just the right amount of extra force to dodge the spike. :]

This is why I also want a version for DS (and 3DS:o) maybe you could even sell it on DSiWare. But I guess the process of getting it approved is a lot harder there..

DS Homebrew is a possibility that currently has no free time to put together! With 2 iOS games and AGameAWeek on the go, at the same time as Site Rebuilding, there's a heck of a lot going on here!
DSiWare's a pipe-dream. If only!!

cosmiccow said:
This is something I really liked in the PC version - it's some kind of additional reward for going further. I get a strangely warm fuzzy sense of accomplishment whenever the spriteset changes and I get the Amiga ball or something else.

Maybe you could just add an option or another mode for iOS that incorporates automatic changing of themes (once you reach various scores or unlock certain "achievements"...?) (psychedelic mode that changes three times a second?)

Changing themes on the fly (in realtime, without a single frame stutter!) might be a little complicated.
The reason the PC edition can handle it, is because it all gets lumped in right at the start.
Could the iOS one manage it?!
I'm not entirely sure...

cosmiccow said:
And speaking about rewards, when in the iOS version you get lots of these star shaped achievements in quick succession they really clutter the middle of the screen where you have to focus (before they move to the right). This sometimes makes it hard to see the next obstacles. So maybe you should make these popups smaller or move them a bit to the top or right.

Possibly an option.. but....

QUOTE(cosmiccow @ Feb 16 2011, 10:37 AM) It also needs a better menu and highscore screen (maybe with online/worldwide/country highscores too - but without sign-up please!).

The menu's cluttered to buggery!
Yeah, sometimes you think "Oooh, nice shiney buttons for the menu. That'd be nice" and then start building said menu, and get completely bogged down.
It took me 4 smegging days to make the "challenge" part of the menu! GAH!!

[youtube]p7B6KPCbjaE[/youtube]

Still, the style has been set, and I'll try to stick with it. (Mostly because redoing it all would be a massive pain in my neck..)

v1.2 is current, v1.3 has ^ that Challenge mode, and v1.4 (assuming I can manage it) will have GameCenter with all it's online highscores and achievements.
The problem I faced, though, was that before you add GameCenter, you need a list of achievements. They're then set in stone, and cannot ever be changed.
My code style, though, is more freeform.
I add things as I go. it's fun that way.
But it's meant I've had to go through these little annoying steps, build up the game, consider all the badges as I go, before I can even begin to add the GameCenter stuff.
GRRRRrrr....

It's getting there.
It's annoying, but it's getting there..

QUOTE(cosmiccow @ Feb 16 2011, 10:37 AM)
I'm only suggesting so much because I like this thing and want it to become even better (and hope it can earn you some money).
It was whizzing away, there, for a week or two, but now appears to have plummeted to the depths of my regular amount of smeg-all money! ho-hum..
Fingers crossed that adding Challenge mode, and GameCenter will perk it up a wee bit.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jayenkai said:

That explains why I haven't seen them yet
tongue.gif
Hopefully when I get a chance to play it more I'll get to see some of theme
smile.gif

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Latest update news
Challenge mode is semi done.
Or rather, it's done to a point where I'm no longer slaving away at it!
From here on, it's a case of simply throwing in little pieces until it's all finished.
.. thankfully, 'cos that was really doing my head in!

I have to add nice little page descriptions, and organise the current clumping of levels, but it's all starting to look a little better than it did.

After that, I need to add all the badges.
The whole badge system is in place, but I haven't done any yet! So, that's all gotta happen.
Saves need to be added for those, shouldn't be too hard, and then we're ready to upload 1.3

Not long, now.
Maybe a Wednesday upload, then a bit of a wait for it to go through Apple's testing regime.
woot!

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new skins are awesome. The Black and White skin is reminiscent of Canabalt IMHO, totally cool. The rainbow/unicorn one is very 'lulz'

Updated sounds are nice, and I like the jingles.

I've completed all but 2 of the challenges. Both are "Get this score with only this many spikes."
ARGHH!!!
I must complete them!!

Anyways, did anyone else's icon change to the 'lite' icon after the update? Not a big deal to me, just wonderin.

Great game, I play it when I have nothing to do. Keep up the good work.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I got the full app (i bought it) about a week ago as promised and its the best .99 I've used....I would have paid 4 for this ish!!!

Just found out/got the update...Loving the new themes and challenge mode. This game is super fun.

EDIT - Gave your game a shout out on my twitter! But I think you saw that as I see you've started to follow me

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

Crazy busy last night. A few of you might've noticed the mis-logo on the icon. Stupidly left a little "lite" icon, somewhere in the pack!
d'oh!
So I rushed about last last night having to repackage it all.
Threw in a nice new "Evolve" difficulty level (starts at Easy, and keeps on going), just to make it a half-assed update
wink.gif

That'll be with you soon.

After that, I really need to sort out GameCenter, so.. here I go with that, then!!
(aargh!!)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinal_cord said:
Indie = homebrew
Uh, no.

Homebrew is software created for a platform which wasn't intended to be user-programmable. iOS has a very well-supported and widely-distributed SDK with a low entry barrier. Any software created for the platform is not homebrew.

More on topic, shame SpikeDislike isn't compatible with 3.1.x. Otherwise I'd be giving it a go.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just an idea, but would you think that a BGM would be nice for a game like this? I mean, the first time I watched the trailer, I thought that the music playing was actually playing in the game, and I quite liked it, and since many people, including me, like the BGM's you've put together, I think i'd be a reasonable thing to do. Oh yeah, I got some friends into playing your game, they really like it,and are thinking of buying it ^^

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! Every sale counts
biggrin.gif

3.x, I could click the "Allow 3.x OS" icon, but from past experience, I am NOT releasing software without having an actual device to test it on.
The simulator/emulator is a lying git.

And, I'm definitely not wiping all my data, just to downgrade for testing purposes! I've got my entire life on this thing, now. I'm smegged if I ever lose it!

So, no. probably won't be doing that, any time soon. sorry.

Music. I've been going over this one a lot.
Issue 1. That music's REALLY repetitive! Needs more!
Issue 2. It's an iPod! It already plays music! I'm not sure if I need to add mine!

But it does seem to be quite a common request.
*shrugs*

---

Update news.
I finally made a decent start on GameCenter today. Things "appear" to be working, but annoyingly Apple have locked out on-device testing.
So, from what I just wrote above, you can probably imagine how mindbogglingly annoyed I am at the prospect of having to release untested code.
Like.. REALLY annoyed!!
That's still not going to be for another week or so, though. Other little things to be done in the meantime, like menu tweaks, theme making, that sort of thing.

It's coming, though!
.. dang, I also have to make more Challenges, too, don't I!.. I should jot these down somewhere!

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fine without music. Someone pointed me in the direction of the music you used in the trailer, and I just play it on repeat sometimes during a game.

Can't wait for more challenges, 4-4 is the only one I need to beat now (freakin 18 points).

SpikeDislike has officially taken the top spot as my most played app, taking down solitaire.
tongue.gif

I thank you for your hard work on this game.

Jayenkai

Makes Games
OP
Trophies
Website
AGameAWeek.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A MONTH!?!?!
FFS, far too long..

GameCenter Update is out!
Now you can show off your 1337 Disliking skills to everyone!

\o/woot\o/

.. d'oh
Slight issue with the ingame scoreboard, (It's showing the Top 1, instead of the Top 10!!) but the proper GameCenter app works if you flip between the two.
Update already sent, but it'll probably be another week before it shows up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo becomes responsible for 2024s virus