Star Trek discussion!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being an avid Trekkie I found it was time to make a Star Trek thread!

Wikipedia said:
Star Trek is an American science fiction entertainment series. The original Star Trek was an American television series, created by Gene Roddenberry, which debuted in 1966 and ran for three seasons, following the interstellar adventures of Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the Federation Starship Enterprise. These adventures were continued in an animated television series and six feature films. Four more television series were produced, based in the same universe but following other characters: Star Trek: The Next Generation, following the crew of a new Starship Enterprise set several decades after the original series; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager set contemporaneously with The Next Generation; and Star Trek: Enterprise, set in the early days of human interstellar travel. Four additional feature films were produced, following the crew of The Next Generation, and most recently a 2009 movie reboot of the series featuring a young crew of the original Enterprise set in an alternate time line.

If anyone was wondering, the timeline of the Star Trek series...

Enterprise->The Original Series->The Next Generation->Deep Space Nine->Voyager

So...

What did you guys think of the newest JJ Abrams movie? I loved it. It kept all the Star Trek elements together while making it appealing to non-Trekkies as well. Pure genius

What's your favorite series? I liked TNG. Voyager and TOS were pretty good too. Deep Space Nine was average. Enterprise after the first season was utter garbage.

What's your favorite movie? Probably Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Either that or TNG: Generations.

What's your favorite quote? KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Whose your favorite character? Definitely Worf. He's hilarious!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The new flic was pretty good. Certainly a lot better than I'd feared. I hope they do battle with some Klingons in the next one.

I was 9 when TNG first aired, and it was awesome. I didn't care for DS9 so much when it was first on, and I skipped the rest until recently on DVD. Having watched them again as an adult I think DS9 is the best (except that it had the worst last episode of any series ever), followed by TNG in second. TOS has some great episodes, but way too many shitty ones. I liked it a lot better as a kid. I tried giving Voyager a chance, but it didn't get good by the end of the third season so I gave up. I didn't watch Enterprise. Scott Bacula can go fuck himself.

1, 2 and 6 were my favorite movies by the original cast, and I think I liked 1 the best. I thought the TNG movies were pretty bad. I've never seen Nemesis, and I feel confident that I'm better off that way.

I'll have to think about the quote, but there's a good chance it will be from one of the Ferringi on DS9.

Garak was probably my favorite character overall, but the Grand Nagus was pretty awesome too.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I made a very comprehensive Trek post here

QUOTE said:
Yeah, they were TV series.

The order I listed the Star Treks in were the production order, as well as their chronological order, with the exception of Enterprise, which was a prequel:

ST:TOS (3 seasons, 1966-1969), set 2265-2269
ST:TAS (1 season, 1973-1974), set 2269-2270 (I haven't seen any, and it isn't considered canon.)
ST:TNG (7 seasons, 1987-1994), set 2364-2370
ST:DS9 (7 seasons, 1993-1999), set 2369-2375
ST:VOY (7 seasons, 1995-2001), set 2371-2378
ST:ENT (4 seasons, 2001-2005), set 2151-2155

And then there are the films:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture: 1979, set mid-2270s
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: 1982, set 2285
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: 1984, set 2285 (just after II)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home:1986, set 2286/1986
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: 1989, set 2287
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: 1991, set 2293
Star Trek: Generations: 1994, set 2293/2371
Star Trek: First Contact: 1996, set 2373/2063
Star Trek: Insurrection: 1998, set 2375
Star Trek: Nemesis: 2002, set 2379
Star Trek: 2009, set in several times, including 2233, 2240s, 2255, 2258, 2387. (As the premise for this film included altering the timeline, 2387 is part of the previous canon, while the 23rd century dates are on a timeline which diverged in 2233. This also means that there are two separate, yet still valid canons: The "prime universe" of the previous series' and films, and the new timeline from the 11th film onwards (which doesn't affect events before it). There's also a "mirror universe" which appears in some TV episodes.)

What did you guys think of the newest JJ Abrams movie? I loved it. It kept all the Star Trek elements together while making it appealing to non-Trekkies as well. I agree, so not much to change here.

What's your favorite series? I enjoyed TNG, DS9, VOY, TOS (although I've not seen all of them), and ENT was ok too (especially the mirror episodes).

What's your favorite movie? Maybe, Generations, First Contact, or XI

What's your favorite quote? Not sure

Whose your favorite character? I like Q, Data, Riker, Odo, Worf, Dax (Jadzia and Ezri), Bashir, O'Brien, Garak, Worf, Kes, The Doctor, Seven of Nine - Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero One (the list could go on)

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What did you guys think of the newest JJ Abrams movie? It was a blast. saw it twice at the theater.

What's your favorite series? TNG FTW

What's your favorite movie? First Contact and Nemesis (pretty dark movies)

What's your favorite quote? "Actually, I .. I used to be quite a card player in my youth, you know." (almost the final line of TNG
wink.gif
)

Whose your favorite character? Data, Picard, and Q

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Old8oy said:
What's your favorite quote? "Actually, I .. I used to be quite a card player in my youth, you know." (final line of TNG)
Actually, the last line was "Five-card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit."
smileipb2.png

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Favourite Enterprise? Enterprise-E

Favourite ship overall? At the moment, it's between the Enterprise-E, the Defiant (NX-74205) and the Prometheus-class Prometheus (not the Nebula-class Prometheus). Maybe the Defiant for it's pwning ability
smileipb2.png

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What did you guys think of the newest JJ Abrams movie? It was one of the better star trek movies out of the ones I have seen.

What's your favorite series? I liked Deep Space 9. It was different and had a pretty cool story. You'd have to watch most episdoes to be able to follow the story arc. Voyager and TNG were pretty good also. Enterprise was okay.

What's your favorite movie? The newest Star Trek movie, Generations, or First Contact.

What's your favorite quote? "We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Whose your favorite character? This is a tough one. I thought Quark was pretty funny. I also liked Miles O'Brien and Q.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite ship would probably have to Voyager, Enterprise D, or the Neruda (from the latest Star Trek). Voyager was cool because it looked different and it got lots of cool stuff (I mean, the series finale of Voyager, with that bitch-ass metal plating dude!). The Enterprise D was just classic; having it destroyed in Generation was a bad move. And the Neruda was cool as hell.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually prefer the Federation aesthetics; Klingon ships are far too gloomy, Romulan ships are quite...green. Galaxy-class ships do look good, though Sovereign-class grew on me a while back.

I do like Voyager though, including the variable-geometry warp nacelles
smile.gif
I like the Prometheus for its multi-vector attack mode.

As for saucer separation, I loved watching those scenes; shame there were only 3 in the series and one in Generations.

Other ship classes, like Sovereign were apparently able although it was never shown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hp24nDVKvY