Steam Link and Steam Video will be getting mobile apps

header.jpg

SteamDB, the site that leaked the existence of the Steam Summer sale dates for 2018 yesterday, have also revealed that a Steam Link and Steam Video app will be heading to mobile devices later this year. The first one to release, the Steam Link app, will allow gamers to stream their Steam library to any Android or iOS device capable of running the app. There will be support for the Steam Controller, and standard MFI controllers on both platforms. It's recommended that you use either a 5Ghz wireless connection, or a wired connection. This app will launch in full on May 21st. Many gamers may be familiar with Moonlight, a mobile app that allows players to stream their games, however, it is only available to those who have newer types of Nvidia graphics card, while the Steam Link app will work regardless of your PC's hardware.

Afterwards, slated for a Summer 2018 release, is the Steam Video app, which will let users download or stream videos purchased through Steam to their mobile platforms.

:arrow: Source

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A QUESTION FOR steam links: do i have to keep my pc turned on to stream games to my android phone?

Never used Steam link...

Last edited by leon315,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A QUESTION FOR steam links: do i have to keep my pc turned on to stream games to my android phone?

Never used Steam link...
Yes.. Otherwise you've got nothing to stream from

Reactions: Deleted User

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lord I've been waiting for a steam link app for so long. All these other streaming apps don't really seem to do it like steam link did across my computer's.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Now if only you could install games from steam on the phone. Games with mobile ports would be obviously the first step, but let's see..

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I hope that some form of this comes to Windows mobile devices. I'll be able to play my higher end games from my tablet!

Now that I know that this app will not be for out of house use, I take back my words. We already have the current version of Steam Link for PC to PC gaming which works well on my tab. So much for hoping that Valve would have an out of house solution :(

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Awesome. I do use in-home streaming so will definitely give the Steam Link app a try. I just need to get one of those phone holders for my NES30 Pro to make it more convenient.
Now that I know that this app will not be for out of house use, I take back my words. We already have the current version of Steam Link for PC to PC gaming which works well on my tab. So much for hoping that Valve would have an out of house solution :(
It's not officially supported, but you can connect to your home network through a VPN and stream games just like you would at home. I tried it once using a VPN set up on my router (was very easy to set up on my ASUS router by the way) and it was almost as good as streaming locally. If you're far away from home latency will be higher though.

Steam in-home streaming can use up to 30mbps, but I've never seen it use more than around 15 when streaming locally on the highest bandwidth setting. You want a reasonably fast upload though for the best quality, and you don't want it using up your entire upload speed since that means any other device on your home network, or some software running on your PC could suddenly decide to take up some of the bandwidth which can cause lag spikes and stuttering. So best to set Steam's bandwidth setting to your home internet upload speed minus about 5mbps, and close down anything you don't need running so there's less chance of that happening.
And the download speed of your current connection needs to be matched to that bandwidth setting or higher or you'll likely have video glitching, freezing and stuttering.
But with all that taken into account it does work surprisingly well. Input lag wasn't much worse than at home and the video quality was equal.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why yes I will take my entire Steam library on my phone for free, thank you very much. Kinda invalidates much of my need to mod Switch TBH, since I can use all the same controllers. This is why Valve is and has always been awesome.

Last edited by Xzi,

OllieD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hopefully these releases will bring an overhaul of the Steam Streaming system.
Steam Link's work terribly over LAN connections nevermind anything else.

Other streaming services like Parsec, Rainway, Remotr to name a few all seem to outperform Steam Link massively and work quite well over LAN and WiFi.

Parsec seem to be willing to licence out their Streaming Tech so maybe Steam should make a deal?

time to abandon nvidia and go back to AMD gpus :)

I have no idea why you would come to that conclusion when AMD hardware is possibly the worst choice when you are considering remote game streaming.

Parsec have written 2 recent articles about how the video encoding on recent AMD GPU's is roughly 3x slower than any recent NVIDIA GPU.

https://blog.parsecgaming.com/new-n...rds-on-h-264-compression-latency-d32784464b94

https://blog.parsecgaming.com/nvidi...latency-in-parsec-co-op-sessions-713b9e1e048a

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I already have a Shield Portable with Nvidia's game link but this will provide current, ongoing updates. I hope they include an auto-pause/-resume for dropped connections. So many Steam games to play but I end up doing programming or "file maintenance" when I'm at my desktop.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It’s not about getting a cut since Steam Link is simply a streaming service. It’s most likely the fact that it worked so well that people would probably stop buying apps from the store and simply play their Steam games instead.

Edit, maybe they didn’t want quality games on their platform and are happy with the unfiltered garbage games that plague the mobile market. Then again, Steam has plenty of garbage of its own clogging up the marketplace.

Last edited by Originality,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O