Stereotypical opinions of muslims

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
And I say to them that allah is the one decide who is a good and who is a bad muslim.

This is gonna sound like a strange question but I ask pretty much everyone this. Why do you use the word Allah when speaking English?

No reason, just personal preference. I'm sure most people understand what I mean by Allah.

QUOTE(taktularCBo @ Oct 13 2010, 05:08 PM)
Koran/Bibel (Im not sure about the Torah)says, if you don't follow exactly what is written you go to hell, thats a fact, read it and you will see, that im right.

I just repeat what extremists say, its not my believe.
And you wouldn't mind showing me the verse in the Qu'ran which says that, would you?

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
BobTheJoeBob said:
TrolleyDave said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
And I say to them that allah is the one decide who is a good and who is a bad muslim.

This is gonna sound like a strange question but I ask pretty much everyone this. Why do you use the word Allah when speaking English?

No reason, just personal preference. I'm sure most people understand what I mean by Allah.

Koran/Bibel (Im not sure about the Torah)says, if you don't follow exactly what is written you go to hell, thats a fact, read it and you will see, that im right.

And you wouldn't mind showing me the verse in the Qu'ran which says that, would you?
23,103 - 11,106–107 - 6,128 and 11,109

The "unholy" people will go to hell, if you want I will ask next time my Girl what unholy means in islam, she knows the Koran very good.
As far as I remember if you don't follow the Sharia you get unholy, but Im not sure about this, let me check this and come back on you.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
taktularCBo said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
TrolleyDave said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

23,103 - 11,106–107 - 6,128 and 11,109

The "unholy" people will go to hell, if you want I will ask next time my Girl what unholy means in islam, she knows the Koran very good.
As far as I remember if you don't follow the Sharia you get unholy, but Im not sure about this, let me check this and come back on you.
That is a complete misinterpretation. By this they mean, anyone who's bad deeds overcome their good deeds shall go to hell. So, if you were more good then bad, they you go to heaven. More bad then good, and you go to hell.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
That is a complete misinterpretation. By this they mean, anyone who's bad deeds overcome their good deeds shall go to hell. So, if you were more good then bad, they you go to heaven. More bad then good, and you go to hell.

not really, I asked her and you're unholy if you don't follow the “Fard”, so things muslims MUST do, for example 5 times praying per day and headscarf(some interpretate that only the wifes of Muhammad should wear it, some say all women in Islam...) and party “Mandub”, so things you could do and which makes you to a better person, for example special praying!

Peace and out

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
taktularCBo said:
QUOTE said:

not really, I asked her and you're unholy if you don't follow the “Fard”, so things muslims MUST do, for example 5 times praying per day and headscarf(some interpretate that only the wifes of Muhammad should wear it, some say all women in Islam...) and party “Mandub”, so things you could do and which makes you to a better person, for example special praying!

Peace and out
So your "girl" suddenly becomes the judge of what being holy or unholy is, or who's going to hell (according to the Qu'ran) and who's not.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
BobTheJoeBob said:
taktularCBo said:
QUOTE said:

Peace and out
So your "girl" suddenly becomes the judge of what being holy or unholy is, or who's going to hell (according to the Qu'ran) and who's not.

...did you hear about the Terms "fard" and "mandub".
Its not her which say this, its the sharia.
This both Terms describe the only way(thats what sharia say..again not me or her) to be a "good muslim".

Enough of this, you are a free person and you can interpret Islam like you want and like (in the USA and Europe at least), I just told you what many people follow (in some parts of the world)for being a good Muslim.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
taktularCBo said:
QUOTE said:

Peace and out

Here is a verse from the Qu'ran that states that if you don't obey God and his messenger then you are destined for the fires of hell.

"[72:24] ‘My responsibility is only to convey the revelation from Allah, and His Messages.’ And for those who disobey Allah and His Messenger there is the fire of Hell, wherein they will abide for a long, long period."

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My only problem with Muslims is their extreme response to situations. Example being South Park attempting to show an image of Muhammed (they've shown it before, but for some reason the 2nd time was the one that stir shit up), and then the creators of the show going into hiding because of multitudes of death threats from numerous Muslim groups (not just extremists). They completely missed the point of the episode, and start with threats instead of explaining WHY showing an image of the prophet is disrespectful in the eyes of their religion. Trying to educate people is much more likely to get a positive response (unless you watch Fox News, then it's seen as BRAINWASHING OUR CHILDREN WITH KNOWLEDGE) than throwing death threats that completely close the conversation.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sad face for the people that have "no choice". There is always a choice, and consequences always follow. People who say they don't have a choice, they really do, just one is more appetizing than the other.

@TaktularCBo: You implied that Extremists follow the Koran almost perfectly. Nothing is farther than the truth. You can't be "Almost perfect", you're either perfect or you're flawed. There is no in between. It is not off topic either. We are still talking about the subject at hand: Stereotypical views of religion [Muslims].

@Trolly: You have to take into consideration that no one is able to not disobey. Does that line in there specify how many times you can disobey, or is it one strike and you're out? It was left open to interpretation because that line is violated daily, and nothing you will do will stop it from happening.

EDIT: Missed a vital two letter word at the end.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sterl500 said:
I sad face for the people that have "no choice". There is always a choice, and consequences always follow. People who say they don't have a choice, they really do, just one is more appetizing than the other.

@TaktularCBo: You implied that Extremists follow the Koran almost perfectly. Nothing is farther than the truth. You can't be "Almost perfect", you're either perfect or you're flawed. There is no in between. It is not off topic either. We are still talking about the subject at hand: Stereotypical views of religion [Muslims].

@Trolly: You have to take into consideration that no one is able to not disobey. Does that line in there specify how many times you can disobey, or is it one strike and you're out? It was left open to interpretation because that line is violated daily, and nothing you will will stop it from happening.
i agree

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are a few wrong things about this topic:

Number 1, the OP is an absolutely FAIL.
Do you realize he's a 15 years old kind that just decided to open this hot topic about religion without giving it much thought himself ?

Nember 2, the OP is keeping on quoting others people posts without adding ANYTHING useful, just random words like " lol........thanks.....I agree ....." and so on.
The OP deserves to be burned alive ...
wink.gif

Nevertheless, a LOT of valid points have been raised, and TROLLEYDAVE was the smartest of us all by actually raising extraordinary good questions that make us all thinking.
I was tempted to quote a few posts ( especially TROLLEYDAVE 's ) but then I would end up being useless as the 15 yo OP kid.

I was born in Italy, so when I was 2 months old I was declared christian.
That's what happens when you are born in a catholic country from a catholic family in a catholic neighborhood .
But does that make me a true catholic ? Wouldn't be better if they let me choose my preferred religion at age 16 or something after a couple of years of studying every religion in school ? That way I could pick up the one that suited me most, but NOT, the way it was, you had to get baptized automatically a 2 months age before you could even walk, let alone think for yourself...Oh and the weekly religious hour at school (mandatory for every one ), was strictly all about Catholicism, and the teacher was a Catholic priest for COT !
I think that was all wrong. Just a set of instructions that we were given to follow (church on Sundays, no meat on Fridays, and so on ) otherwise we would go to hell.
You know what ? As an adult, I can't recall the last time I've been to church, or even confessed. Basically , I don't give a shit about religion anymore, but still I don't lie ( I try not to anyways
nyanya.gif
) ) I don't steal, and I certainly don't kill or want to kill anybody.
Does that make me a bad person in general ? Or maybe I am a bad person in the eye of the catholic church ? As an adult, I got the choice to practice my religion, or just ignore it, and I chose the latter. I certainly don't have anything against practicing Catholics, and they don't have anything against me.
But what would happen if I was a Muslim in Saudi Arabia and openly declared that I couldn't care any less about my religion, and decided to walk down the street in different clothes/hats/no hats or whatever ?
Or openly declared to be gay ( no I am not btw ) ? Would I get the same level of tolerance ?
Or if I wanted to go there with a bible in hand and decided build a Catholic church , will I be tolerated ?
Why are we supposed to tolerate Muslim trying to build a Mosque right here close to Ground Zero, but I can't do the same in some Muslim countries ?
It's all about tolerance guys.
When I hear about a religion that lives very little room for interpretation, and very limited freedom, and a sort of black and white approach of either you are, or you are not, plus all the added bad things that happen around the world by the hands of terrorist which ASAIK are mostly Muslim, and intolerance versus other religions ....well then I feel like a lot of this guys try to impose their own religion to others because they think their way it's the only way, and everybody else is a sinner and an inferior human being.
Now Muslim people leave in my neighborhood, I shop from them and I even had Muslim coworkers , and I never had a problem with them, but still as the guy from Germany said, when we go to other countries we have to make an effort to assimilate their way of life, their language and at least be polite and tolerant versus others, the way you expect them should be towards you.
But often times, sadly, this is not the case.
I came to New York willing and expecting to embrace other races and religions, and I'm very open minded about it, but if I think that my open mindless could cost me my life in some other countries, and that people have died here and every where and are still dying because of it, the I ask myself if this kind of religion should exist at all, or just buried under the sands of time like an old fairy tale and be forgotten at least.
These people try to behave, but deep inside they still think they are better then others.
They try to appear ' normal ' , ' civilized ' and probably most of them are, but how do we manage to learn the difference ?
How do I know the person in front of me doesn't secretly wish me dead, or converted ?
We have a lot of doubts in today society, but I say my doubts are justified, especially in the light of horrible things ( terrorist attacks ) happened in the past few years .

And why on heart Muslims are so squarely intended to build this frigging Mosque near Ground Zero ?
OK, this is America, they HAVE THE RIGHT to do so, I repeat , HAVE THE RIGHT, but as HUMAN BEING, I'm just asking, don't they realize they are upsetting a lot of people by doing so ?
Won't be nice of them if they could just say " Hey look, we thought it was a good idea, we had no intention of upsetting so many people in the process and further hurting the peace of mind of a lot of families that lost someone on 9/11, so you know what ? WE DECIDED to build it somewhere else, how's that ? " Wouldn't that a decent thing to do ?
Willingly decide to move to another location ? Then it would be a huge step in a good direction, like " hey, we are not all so extremist as you may think , and here's a gift of good faith, on the premise to improve our image and relationship with other religions "
But NOT. This people clearly are arrogant and firmly believe that they have to force their way onto other societies by every means. Affirm they superiority.
It's this kind of logic and behave that make me question their so called ' peaceful intention '.
If even the most peaceful Muslims ( the ones wanting to build the Mosque here ) are so rude and stubborn to prevail in our society, what about the rest of them in countries like Afghanistan ,Saudi Arabia, Somalia or Yemen ? How extreme can they be ? What would they do if given the chance ?
I'm sorry, but all of the above things make me question whether Muslim in general is a BAD thing.
Prove me wrong, and tell me what's good about it.

And to the OP kid : This topic is bigger then you and me, stop posting in it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Sterl500 said:

I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately the truth of the situation is different.
frown.gif

QUOTE@Trolly: You have to take into consideration that no one is able to not disobey. Does that line in there specify how many times you can disobey, or is it one strike and you're out? It was left open to interpretation because that line is violated daily, and nothing you will do will stop it from happening.

EDIT: Missed a vital two letter word at the end.

I don't get what you mean by no-one is able to not disobey? The line doesn't specify how many times you can disobey. The Qu'ran is littered with phrases stating that all those who do not accept Mohammed as the final messenger of God, the Qu'ran as the final revelation and live by the system in the Qu'ran are destined for the fires of hell. Obeying Mohammed and the Qu'ran isn't the same as following Christ and the New Testament. I'm not sure exactly how much you know about Islam, but I get the feeling you see it as being similar to Christianity?

edit : Oops, I forgot to mention that the message in the Qu'ran is supposed to be uncorruptable and free from ambiguity.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arm73 said:
*snipped for readability
i cant really say much else when all of the good points have been suggested by people like TrolleyDave(I know he's the samrtest among us) have been taken......and i know the topic is bigger than you and me thats why i made it......finally the whole point of posting the topic was because it is a very sensitive issue and something that wanted an insight from others about.....so you can stop being a fricking douche bag.

oh and yes i am teenager and i am not your average one...these topics concern me and i like others having hunger and craving for knowledge.

so you can burn alive
wink.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tehnoobshow said:
Arm73 said:
*snipped for readability
i cant really say much else when all of the good points have been suggested by people like TrolleyDave(I know he's the samrtest among us) have been taken......and i know the topic is bigger than you and me thats why i made it......finally the whole point of posting the topic was because it is a very sensitive issue and something that wanted an insight from others about.....so you can stop being a fricking douche bag.

oh and yes i am teenager and i am not your average one...these topics concern me and i like others having hunger and craving for knowledge.

so you can burn alive
wink.gif

I'll happily burn alive in hell or whatever else you call it, but I thought the point of this topic was to get" insight from others about".
I gave you my insight, but you disrespect me calling me 'a fricking douche bag'.
Why asking others people opinions if you only really wanna hear the answers that you like ?
Our opinion differs, just like religions differs, doesn that make us one better then the other ?
I, on the other end ,asked to be proven wrong about my personal negative feelings about Muslims , and since a lot of people here wrote a lot of questionable things about Muslims in general , I was hoping to be enlighted by someone willing to explain to me what's good about Muslims.

But all I got was an insult.

Which further proves my point.

Enough said.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My interpretation of a perfect Muslim is someone who prays five times a day, who follows the teachings and rulings of the quran and hadith and someone who knows the things in our religion which are considered to be haram (bad for us) such as alcohol and avoids them. A perfect Muslim should also try act int the same sort of islamic manner at the prophet muhammed(pbuh). Extremists are not perfect muslims and quite frankly i am deeply ashamed of them tarnishing the name of Islam.

oh and a perfect muslim must follow the sunna and at least go for pilgrimage at least once int their life time

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tehnoobshow said:
okay sorry for being heated

That's all ?
You don't have to be sorry, you are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mines.
But being you ' not the average teenager ' I kind of expected a better, deeper reply from you as of why a lot of people feel the way I do, and what could be done to make us change our mind.
What do you think is wrong with the world, and why do you think people seem to think Muslim is so unacceptable as a religion ?

If you read my earlier post thoughtfully ,I started by listing the many flaws of my own religion, I didn't just go wild by flaming yours.
Actually I've been searching for a new religion for some time now, why don't you teach me what's good about yours ?
I might even embrace it if given a good enough reason.

EDIT:

QUOTE(tehnoobshow @ Oct 13 2010, 02:27 PM) My interpretation of a perfect Muslim is someone who prays five times a day, who follows the teachings and rulings of the quran and hadith and someone who knows the things in our religion which are considered to be haram (bad for us) such as alcohol and avoids them. A perfect Muslim should also try act int the same sort of islamic manner at the prophet muhammed(pbuh). Extremists are not perfect muslims and quite frankly i am deeply ashamed of them tarnishing the name of Islam.

oh and a perfect muslim must follow the sunna and at least go for pilgrimage at least once int their life time

Sorry you posted this right before I posted mines.
That makes it yet another double post for you, which is against the rules of GBAtemp.
If you can't follow GBAtemp simple set of rules, how do you think I should expect you to follow your own religion's intricate, strict , complicated set of rules known as the the teachings and rulings of the quran and hadith ?
Maybe that's why in real life people around you have low expectations from you ?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me on Monday around Uni, I saw several women in the burka in the period of fifteen minutes.

Being serious, which path has the thread gone into now? I've read the last five pages and I'm somewhat confused. Is it the OP now going to give us reasons to become muslim or something?

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arm73 said:
There are a few wrong things about this topic:

Number 1, the OP is an absolutely FAIL.
Do you realize he's a 15 years old kind that just decided to open this hot topic about religion without giving it much thought himself ?
He's actually 13
wink.gif

Arm73 said:
Nember 2, the OP is keeping on quoting others people posts without adding ANYTHING useful, just random words like " lol........thanks.....I agree ....." and so on.
The OP deserves to be burned alive ...
wink.gif

That's a little harsh

Arm73 said:
Nevertheless, a LOT of valid points have been raised, and TROLLEYDAVE was the smartest of us all by actually raising extraordinary good questions that make us all thinking.
I was tempted to quote a few posts ( especially TROLLEYDAVE 's ) but then I would end up being useless as the 15 yo OP kid.
CUT FOR CONVENIENCE
IMO, some of the laws in Saudi Arabia are a bit extreme. People should be allowed to follow what religion they want, whether anyone thinks it's wrong or not.

QUOTE(Arm73 @ Oct 13 2010, 06:58 PM)
Cut for convenience
You do know the the families of the victims of the 9/11 attacks said themselves they have no problem with the mosque and were angry at people for taking their sorrow and trying to stop a mosque being built?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo