Stereotypical opinions of muslims

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may not be pointing the finger at Americans...but I am.
I'm severely disappointed in my countrymen right now.

edit:
@Hop2009: Fox news gives foxes a bad name.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Which stereotypes are you talking about? Some of them are easily explainable but you need to say which ones they are. In general though, people stereotype Muslims because they are believed to live by a codified set of rules as laid down in the Qu'ran. Unfortunately people forget that not every Muslim is that devout. People need to learn to seperate Islam, the Qu'ran and Muslims. Not every Muslim around the world believes we should be living in a Caliphate, not every Muslim believes in the "Territory of Islam" and "Territory of War" ideology (sorry, the Arabic term has slipped my mind), not every Muslim believes that women are inferior. It all depends on how devout a particular Muslim is. Some follow the faith, others follow the word and political/social ideologies that are laid down in the Qu'ran.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with Muslims in general. I don't blame the Muslim religion for something a few specific individuals do. Anyone can be an extremist Just look at the Westboro Baptist Church. They take their religion to an extreme, but I don't blame an entire religion (unless your a Satanist, sorry I know those guys are fucked up, and there is a difference between Satanists and other groups of Wiccans/Pagans, ect) for something some people do. I blame the individuals. My dad is a different story, he hates everyone, including his own race, but he seems to hate other races more, or even religions. Eh I was raised better than that, my grandmother taught me tolerance for everyone.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
Which stereotypes are you talking about? Some of them are easily explainable but you need to say which ones they are. In general though, people stereotype Muslims because they are believed to live by a codified set of rules as laid down in the Qu'ran. Unfortunately people forget that not every Muslim is that devout. People need to learn to seperate Islam, the Qu'ran and Muslims. Not every Muslim around the world believes we should be living in a Caliphate, not every Muslim believes in the "Territory of Islam" and "Territory of War" ideology (sorry, the Arabic term has slipped my mind), not every Muslim believes that women are inferior. It all depends on how devout a particular Muslim is. Some follow the faith, others follow the word and political/social ideologies that are laid down in the Qu'ran.
um by stereotypes im referring to those who immediately point the finger at muslims and suggest that we are all terrorists

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
This topic isn't going to get anywhere good.

Nobody has done anything wrong yet, but I think I should remind everyone of this rule.
rules said:
Please show respect for all members at GBAtemp; new or old. Disparaging remarks towards others about race, gender, origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation, personal politics and religion will NOT be tolerated and will most likely be removed by staff. The poster will then be warned, suspended or banned (see the Warnings section below for more information on warnings).
you say it like anybody on gbatemp is actually racist, this isn't stormfront

and let me just say that i don't see much racism towards muslims anymore as with in 2001 *cough cough*
does anybody personally see much racist activity where they live?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:

Nobody has done anything wrong yet, but I think I should remind everyone of this rule.
rules said:
Please show respect for all members at GBAtemp; new or old. Disparaging remarks towards others about race, gender, origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation, personal politics and religion will NOT be tolerated and will most likely be removed by staff. The poster will then be warned, suspended or banned (see the Warnings section below for more information on warnings).

Thank you Arctic. That's precisely why I decided to watch the topic.
(and I'm assuming the same is true of Dave)

I'm all for civil conversation, and so far, that's exactly what we've got.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tehnoobshow said:
um by stereotypes im referring to those who immediately point the finger at muslims and suggest that we are all terrorists

we live in a messed up world

so you can't blame some ppl for their stupidity

ppl are ppl - you can't change that

i get called a terrorist i just pass on, like i couldn't care less, not gna make a difference is it ?

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arctic said:

rules said:

wow your making it out like all of us are racist douche bags....
angry.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Xenophobia is not a new thing, especially when a nation or group feels threatened or are under attack from an outside element. Going back thousands of years people have always reverted back to an "Us vs them" mentality in these situations as a survival mechanism, whereby the paint everything as black and white, good and bad. There is less of an excuse for that now as there is a large intermix between cultures in general, and the information that you can access in order to educate yourself on these foreign cultures is more easy to access now than ever before. Unfortunately there are still a lot of people in the world who don't want to access this information, are too lazy to do so, or if they do they pick and chose what they learn in order to enforce the stereotypes they want to hold.

Having a media that tends to focus on the sensationalist attention grabbing headlines in most countries doesn't help things either. Scaremongering sells and certain elements that control media outlets or have the power to influence them benefit greatly from drumming up perceived threats from distant intangible forces. And this problem is reflected across the board, whether you are in the US, UK, Iran or anywhere else. For the most part people worldwide are groomed as to what prejudices they are expected to hold at any given period of time. And whats sad is that in general they don't even realise this.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Qu'ran is the bible with more stuff.

Muslims believe in Jesus except he isn't the son of god.

Muslims also believe in basically every other prophet that Christians believe in.

Muhammad comes after Jesus so basically if you were to update the Bible it would be the Qu'ran.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Aeladya can tell you, Las Vegas has to be one of the most racist places on the planet.

You look in the Rants and Raves section on Craigslist and you'll see exactly what i'm talking about.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
tehnoobshow said:

Well that one is both simple and complicated. The simple answer is alot of that boils down to ignorance, paranoia, propaganda and for some just plain racism. The complicated answer is a mixture of what's written in the Qu'ran, what's written in the Sunnah/Hadith, the concept of the Islamic Ummah and many other things. Although the complicated answer holds true for very few people, and usually it's just a case of the simple answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro