Stuff you just don't get?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Salted Caramel.

Tried it multiple times, it's always awful. For a time it seemed like anything that was Caramel was replaced by a salted version, it was awful. At least now it doesn't seem to be everywhere or there is at least a standard Caramel version.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on the political opinion, it could very much make someone a lesser person than another.
i forgot racism, but just that and veganism...
for example, i don't care whether you're gay, homophobic, or neither, i'm still disagreeing with you, as that's the ideology of contrarianism, just outright disagreeing with everyone
Post automatically merged:

In this case, "Routine" meaning circumcision typically done on infants for generally aesthetic reasons, without any medical necessity. I don't know where you're from, but in the United States it's very common. In other countries, not so much.

Wolverine is one of my favorite superheroes. He can't be circumcised, it just grows back.
looks like someone's mind changed after his foreskin grew back, also your mii pfp looks like an annoying bitch

i assume any sad reactions are for the contrarianism, but if it's about saying his mii pfp looks like an annoying bitch, look at his pfp and tell me i'm wrong

Last edited by BakerMan,
  • Sad
Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
unless they're vegan, or Rez or Kyle
Why reference me? If you don't agree with somebody else's opinion, then don't be a dick about it. Its THEIR opinion, and they should have a right to say on what they believe (unless they're harming one another, then that's something they should keep to themselves).

I also don't understand why in my country there are people who support our president (Nicolás Maduro) if he ruined us.
I don't understand why everyone agrees with Rishi Sunak if he's such a downright prick.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why reference me? If you don't agree with somebody else's opinion, then don't be a dick about it. Its THEIR opinion, and they should have a right to say on what they believe (unless their harming one another, then that's something they should keep to themselves).
idk, just figured i'd namedrop you and kyle for no reason

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I honestly hate it. I'm religious but I wish they hadn't done it to me. I don't even think it's a religious requirement (at least for my own), it's just tradition, and this one is dumb.

If you're Christian, it's not a religious requirement at all. It's a common misconception in the United States though. Yes, in the Old Testament God commanded Abraham that him and all of his descendants would be circumcised. And this would still apply if you're Jewish or Muslim. But circumcision was a blood sacrifice. When Jesus died on the cross, he was supposed to be the ultimate sacrifice. That's why we no longer have a need for other blood sacrifices, like sacrificing animals to God. To continue the blood sacrifice of circumcision is a rejection of Christ's redemption. It's actually anti-christian! And to finalize that argument, I'll quote one of my favorite parts of the bible, Galatians Chapter 5 2-6:
Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

That's strictly from a Christian perspective. From an American, or even just a human rights perspective, I strongly believe in the right to freedom of religion. That also includes freedom from religion. And if you circumcise a baby boy because you believe your god demands it, you're depriving that baby boy of their own right to freedom of religion. They might decide to believe in a different religion than you, or even no religion at all. And that is their right.

And finally, it's worth noting that circumcision during biblical times was complete different from circumcision as it's practiced today. Back in those times, it was a ritualistic nick to the foreskin, that drew a single drop of blood. Like I said, it was literally a blood sacrifice. The foreskin still covered the head of the penis, and after it healed you really couldn't tell who was circumcised or not. This was called a "Brit Milah" circumcision. Then, ~500 BC, the Jews changed circumcision to cut more of the foreskin off. You could definitely see who was circumcised vs. not, but it still covered the glans. This was how Jesus was circumcised. And many circumcised Jews would stretch the foreskin in order to restore it, so they could compete in Roman sports which back then was done in the nude, and also avoid head taxes that were imposed on Jews back then. It wasn't until 70 AD that Jewish Rabbis changed circumcision again, this time removing all of the foreskin, to prevent it from being restored.

If you want to research more about that, you can google for comparisons between Milah and Periah circumcisions. Additionally, there's part of the ceremony called Metzitzah B'peh, which I consider to be cruel and disgusting, and won't describe here. But I believe that's mostly only done by ultra-orthodox Jews.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with you, but there are even health benefits from it, less chance of Penile disorders, Urinary tract infections, Penile cancers, and even lower risk of STD's.
Yeah, totally. Circumcisions can help reduce STDs/STIs because the bacteria goes underneath the foreskin, which can worsen the infection.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get people who think circumcision is a net negative or that people are shitty for being born in the 21st century
(again, you know who you are, Hopkins and Juan)

Last edited by BakerMan,

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get people who think circumcision is a net negative or that people are shitty for being born in the 21st century
(again, you know who you are)
Reason why its so frowned upon has to do with Jewish traditions, where they would remove the foreskin from babies on the first or second day of birth. Its very wrong and I wish they wouldn't do this.

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
math makes no logical sense to me, and im a pretty logical person so you would think I would understand it. Im a senior in highschool and yet I somehow made it here with a fourth grade basic math level and a 9th grade everything else level
for instance take this simple algebra equation that definitely didn't come from homework:
144 = -12x-60
It looks and is simple enough but somehow I keep getting stuck on WHERE TF YOU PUT VARIABLES

I take it you need to find the value of x, so it would be something like this if you needed to show how to work it out.

144=-12x-60

Add 60 to both sides to get rid of the -60

ie: 144+60 = -12x-60+60

204 = -12x

Divide both sides by the same factor:

204/-12 = -12x/-12

-17 = -12x/-12

Cancel terms that are in both the numerator and denominator

-17 = x

Solution: x = -17

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, totally. Circumcisions can help reduce STDs/STIs because the bacteria goes underneath the foreskin, which can worsen the infection.

If you read my other posts, you'll see where I explained why the supposed "medical benefits" of circumcision either don't exist or are vastly overexaggerated. And I'll re-state that that's not how medicine is supposed to work. We don't remove perfectly healthy skin tissue just for a perceived lower risk of future health problems, without any previous diagnosis or history of issues. Being born male, with a foreskin, is not a diagnosis!

On top of that, what many people don't realize is that on infants, the foreskin is fused to the head of the penis with a mucous membrane, very similar to the one between your finger and your fingernail. It's full of antibodies that protect the penis and fight infection. That's a lot healthier compared to a bleeding wound in a diaper filled with feces and urine!

(again, you know who you are, Hopkins and Juan)
This isn't a "21st century" issue. Circumcision became popular in the United States during the Victorian era when James Harvey Kellogg (yes, the corn flakes guy...) proposed that it would deter boys from masturbating. Along with a diet of bland cereal...

The male foreskin contains thousands of the most sensual nerve endings a man will ever have (the number is debatable, but in some places it's been said to be ~20,000). Cutting those nerve endings off leaves him only able to experience a fraction of the pleasure he otherwise would from sex. There are studies and graphs of erogenous zones of the penis that support this. And yes, I recognize that every damn thing I've said about this is debatable. But what is NOT debatable to me is that otherwise healthy babies should never be circumcised. That is a permanent, irreversible change to their bodies, that they should have the right to decide for themselves when they are older.

For those interested in learning more, and perhaps doing a little research before they speak, I'd highly recommend googling Intactivism, The Bloodstained Men, Your Whole Baby, and "An Elephant in the Hospital." This topic has literally been covered in hundreds of videos. The issue has been gaining traction in the United States over the past few decades. A movie called "American Circumcision" was on the front page of Netflix's documentary page for a while, and now it's free to watch on a few sites online, including Pluto. Many celebrities have spoken out about it, comedians have spoken about it, and even some politicians. Some specific examples of various people that have spoken about it include Howard Stern, George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Russell Crowe, Roseanne Barr, Sara Gilbert, Cameron Diaz, Gerard Butler, Candace Owens, Andrew Yang, Tom Rosenthal, Daniel Tosh, and more.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't a "21st century" issue. Circumcision became popular in the United States during the Victorian era when James Harvey Kellogg (yes, the corn flakes guy...) proposed that it would deter boys from masturbating. Along with a diet of bland cereal...

The male foreskin contains thousands of the most sensual nerve endings a man will ever have (the number is debatable, but in some places it's been said to be ~20,000). Cutting those nerve endings off leaves him only able to experience a fraction of the pleasure he otherwise would from sex. There are studies and graphs of erogenous zones of the penis that support this. And yes, I recognize that every damn thing I've said about this is debatable. But what is NOT debatable to me is that otherwise healthy babies should never be circumcised. That is a permanent, irreversible change to their bodies, that they should have the right to decide for themselves when they are older.

For those interested in learning more, and perhaps doing a little research before they speak, I'd highly recommend googling Intactivism, The Bloodstained Men, Your Whole Baby, and "An Elephant in the Hospital." This topic has literally been covered in hundreds of videos. The issue has been gaining traction in the United States over the past few decades. A movie called "American Circumcision" was on the front page of Netflix's documentary page for a while, and now it's free to watch on a few sites online, including Pluto. Many celebrities have spoken out about it, comedians have spoken about it, and even some politicians. Some specific examples of various people that have spoken about it include Howard Stern, George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Russell Crowe, Roseanne Barr, Sara Gilbert, Cameron Diaz, Gerard Butler, Candace Owens, Andrew Yang, Tom Rosenthal, Daniel Tosh, and more.
first of all, i meant you only for circumcision and juan only for the 21st century part,
second...
reactiononceagain.png

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BakerMan Honestly, for most of my life I was a lot like you, at least on this issue. When I first asked my parents about circumcision as a child, I was told it was healthier, looked better, and that God demanded it. And I believed them. I was very religious at the time and certainly didn't want to go to hell, so I never researched it. A small part of me did feel a little violated that part of my genitalia was cut off without my consent, at a time when I was a baby and couldn't defend myself, but with my parent's explanation, I stopped questioning it. Sure, growing up in public school sometimes I'd hear the locker room talk of things like cut vs. uncut, which is better, anteater, turtleneck, etc. but for the most part I ignored it.

It wasn't until many years later, after I met my wife, that I pondered whether or not I'd want to have my own sons circumcised in the future. And I decided that at the very least I owed it to them to do a little research beforehand. And that's when I found out that everything I thought I knew about circumcision was dead wrong. The more I learned about circumcision, the more I hated it.

Oh yeah, more celebrities I forgot to mention earlier. If you're a fan of Adam Conover, from Adam Ruins Everything, you should search for Adam Ruins Circumcision. It was one of the first Adam Ruins Everything videos he ever made, back when it was a small web series and before it turned into a full-blown television series. He also goes more in-depth about it in Season 1 Episode 10, Adam Ruins Sex.

And Penn Fraser Jillette and Raymond Joseph Teller, better known as Penn & Teller. They had an older television show, kinda similar to Adam Ruins Everything, where they debunked popular fads, conspiracy theories, and misconceptions. It was called Bullshit! They covered the circumcision debate very well in Season 3 Episode 1.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@BakerMan Honestly, for most of my life I was a lot like you, at least on this issue. When I first asked my parents about circumcision as a child, I was told it was healthier, looked better, and that God demanded it. And I believed them. I was very religious at the time and certainly didn't want to go to hell, so I never researched it. A small part of me did feel a little violated that part of my genitalia was cut off without my consent, at a time when I was a baby and couldn't defend myself, but with my parent's explanation, I stopped questioning it. Sure, growing up in public school sometimes I'd hear the locker room talk of things like cut vs. uncut, which is better, anteater, turtleneck, etc. but for the most part I ignored it.

It wasn't until many years later, after I met my wife, that I pondered whether or not I'd want to have my own sons circumcised in the future. And I decided that at the very least I owed it to them to do a little research beforehand. And that's when I found out that everything I thought I knew about circumcision was dead wrong. The more I learned about circumcision, the more I hated it.

Oh yeah, more celebrities I forgot to mention earlier. If you're a fan of Adam Conover, from Adam Ruins Everything, you should search for Adam Ruins Circumcision. It was one of the first Adam Ruins Everything videos he ever made, back when it was a small web series and before it turned into a full-blown television series. He also goes more in-depth about it in Season 1 Episode 10, Adam Ruins Sex.

And Penn Fraser Jillette and Raymond Joseph Teller, better known as Penn & Teller. They had an older television show, kinda similar to Adam Ruins Everything, where they debunked popular fads, conspiracy theories, and misconceptions. It was called Bullshit! They covered the circumcision debate very well in Season 3 Episode 1.
damn, out here writing whole ass essays because some dumbass teen on the internet said that circumcision isn't a net negative (as in entirely negative, no redeeming qualities)

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn, out here writing whole ass essays because some dumbass teen on the internet said that circumcision isn't a net negative (as in entirely negative, no redeeming qualities)
Obviously it's a topic I'm very passionate about. I hope that one day if this "dumbass teen" ever grows up and decides to have kid(s) of their own, even if they didn't read my posts, they'll remember that this alternate opinion exists, and do some research before making any decisions. And the good news is that, at least in my opinion, the new generation is sooo much better at that than older generations.

The best to you and your (future) family.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...