Hardware Sudden graphical issue

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My computer screen started to do a flicker-y thing all of a sudden and want to see if anyone knows what may be the issue as I currently can't really troubleshoot (no time). It happens mostly when white is over a dark background (eg: blue page on browser in background and having a folder open in front of it). Small white lines (about 5 px wide and 50-150 px long) will appear stretching sideways and flicker. Also, the whole display may flash black and back for a split-second. The GPU is relatively new and shouldn't have any issues. My monitor is a TV-Monitor, but can't check if it happens in TV mode too as I can't get any channels to play on it (bad location and antenna). Any idea what could be causing this? I doubt it's the monitor to be honest and can't really afford a GPU either, so I really need help with this.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updated drivers recently? Tried going back to older version? Don't say if you are nvidia or amd.

Seen a few reports of flicking and black screens on newer nvidia drivers for some people. Try 388.13 as that seemed fine with few complaints.
AMD the adrenalin drivers seem iffy for some, so would try going back to whatever the latest crimson was.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My sister began to have those problems with her laptop. It died.

I tried to fix it but couldn't do it.
What happened was that her graphics card decomposed. Not sure why though.

Her screen was all black, but the problem started just as you are telling us.

So, there are SOME things you could check before it dies.
1.- Not sure what's your Operating System, but you should be able to find a Diagnose Tool somewhere in your OS or BIOS.

2.- Check if its not a problem with your RAM memory, or even worse, overheating problems.

3.- If everything is fine, but you haven't been able to fix your problem, then be sure that is either a problem with your screen hinge or a definitive Graphics card problem.
Just change the affected hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, have you tried to connect your... CPU? Laptop? to a different monitor?
Are you using some sort of cables?

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Updated drivers recently? Tried going back to older version? Don't say if you are nvidia or amd.

Seen a few reports of flicking and black screens on newer nvidia drivers for some people. Try 388.13 as that seemed fine with few complaints.
AMD the adrenalin drivers seem iffy for some, so would try going back to whatever the latest crimson was.
I always go with AMD Sapphire cards as they are by far the most consistently reliable. It's definitely not a drivers issue, as I haven't touched the drivers or their configuration in a very long time. Also, if I had updated or something, I would have rolled back to earlier version first before posting anyway as it would have been obvious.

My sister began to have those problems with her laptop. It died.

I tried to fix it but couldn't do it.
What happened was that her graphics card decomposed. Not sure why though.

Her screen was all black, but the problem started just as you are telling us.

So, there are SOME things you could check before it dies.
1.- Not sure what's your Operating System, but you should be able to find a Diagnose Tool somewhere in your OS or BIOS.

2.- Check if its not a problem with your RAM memory, or even worse, overheating problems.

3.- If everything is fine, but you haven't been able to fix your problem, then be sure that is either a problem with your screen hinge or a definitive Graphics card problem.
Just change the affected hardware.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, have you tried to connect your... CPU? Laptop? to a different monitor?
Are you using some sort of cables?
Laptops are different to desktops on such issues. Screen flickering on laptops has to do directly with hardware condition, while on desktop it can range from just the monitor, the GPU, connections, motherboard, power supply, etc.... Diagnose tool on what exactly though? The GPU? That's not gonna show errors of this type. I'm on Windows 7 by the way. As for RAM, what kind of problem could you be talking about? My RAM is by far one of the coolest parts of my system, even more than the frigid steel tower:P Currently I don't have a spare GPU to try the last suggestion and I only have one monitor too, so it's kinda impossible to try different hardware...

What do you mean if I've "tried to connect my CPU? Laptop? to a different monitor?"? I'm obviously using a desktop, that much should be easy to deduce from my OP (as you can't really change GPUs on laptops and who even bothers using a monitor on a laptop), so yeah, kinda don't get your point.

It apparently stopped after 2-3 restarts, but want to find the cause in case it happens again sometime... Just for reference, on average, my CPU usage is 8%, RAM about 87% (because of fucking Mozilla Quantum being terrible at multi-tab operating) and GPU at 11%. My CPU and GPU hardly hit more than 60% for more than a minute a day (and only if I play heavy games), so I doubt the issue is there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    haddad @ haddad: anyone online can help me with my new 2ds xl please...