Super Mario Wonder and Sonic Superstars leaked ahead of release [UPDATE 2]

cyber-hacker-attack-background-skull-free-vector.jpg

October's gaming season for new releases is up ahead, and with it comes the rumours and leaks which are inherently tied to any new big release for AAA titles, and this time it hit two of the biggest gaming mascots in the industry, Sonic & Mario.

Several sources have started to sprout out about a confirmed leaked copy of Sonic Superstars for Switch almost one week ahead of release breaking its street date, and in Mario's case, it seems like the leaked copy that's floating around is the actual Switch demo that's been shared around through selected retailers, like Best Buy, GameStop, Target, & Walmart.

Update: The Mario demo leak is a confirmed hoax and as yet the game has not broken street date.

Update 2: Super Mario Wonder has now leaked ahead of its 20th October release date.

GBAtemp Zero Piracy Tolerance Please remember that sharing copyrighted content or links to where it can be found even through PMs is against the GBAtemp ToS and your posts and accounts can/will be immediately terminated without warning if you do not follow our Terms and Rules

:arrow: https://gbatemp.net/help/terms/

There's rumours about the actual full Super Mario Wonder game also being leaked, but it has yet to be confirmed.

As per usual, links to any kind of piracy content aren't allowed, so be mindful about sharing any sort of links related to the leaked games.

Last edited by shaunj66,

Mike_77712

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic afficionado here: game is really meh. Controls feel clunky rather than fluid. Looks and feels somelike a mobile game (not far off the dreaded sonic 4). Music get’s on my nerves really quick. doesn’t feel “sonic quick”. to many gimmicks that aren’t actually fun.The bonus level where you’re supposed to swing towards the emerald is awful imho. What a pity.
Looking forward to SMW...
Annnnnnd it's garbage, thanks for the warning. Not even going to waste my time. Sounds like it's really baby's first Sonic like I thought

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Sonic afficionado here: game is really meh. Controls feel clunky rather than fluid. Looks and feels somelike a mobile game (not far off the dreaded sonic 4)
I don't think this is a honest take, not because your opinion but because of the comparison, it is very clear that the physics and controls are based off Sonic Mania and the classic games, nothing in common with Sonic 4 at all (which was a dumbed down version of Sonic Rush controls and physics)

Reactions: XXLANCEXX

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Sonic afficionado here: game is really meh. Controls feel clunky rather than fluid. Looks and feels somelike a mobile game (not far off the dreaded sonic 4). Music get’s on my nerves really quick. doesn’t feel “sonic quick”. to many gimmicks that aren’t actually fun.The bonus level where you’re supposed to swing towards the emerald is awful imho. What a pity.
Looking forward to SMW...
I felt the same exact way... I have no idea why they keep using the Sonic 4 awful drums on everything like it was supposed to feel "retro", they never did use them in the Mega Drive games. What the hell.

Best I can say about it is that it's a Sonic game...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least the Switch version of Superstars runs at 60fps, the prior Sonic ports to the platform have been locked to 30 and dropped below that. Even Colors Ultimate...

I also found the physics and controls spot-on with the classics. And if nothing else, I didn't run into any Dimps level quirks in the first few levels. Namely bottomless pits or spike traps that hit you out of nowhere.

Impression wise, I was actually really enjoying the first two zones, Bridge and Jungle. Those seem like they have the best level design and also visual design. When I reached the third zone however, it dropped off hard. It's also where the soundtrack starts to fall off as well. The bosses also aren't very good either and go on way too long. Special stages are fun, but seem relatively easy based on the first few emeralds i've gotten. I beat the first on in literally like 5 seconds, and the second one didn't take too much longer than that. Third took longer, but was still very easy. The unlockable emerald powers also aren't fun, but at least they appear to be optional (so far). One thing I will mention is that I quite enjoyed the part in the Jungle zone where Nack chases you, which the GamingBolt review didn't like. So take that however you will. It reminded me of the Metal Sonic chases in CD/Mania, but IMO actually quite a bit better.

Up until the third zone, i'd probably have given this game an 8. It was a lot better than Sonic 4 at least and I was having quite a bit of fun. In fact, I still think it's going to end up being a lot better than Sonic 4 as a whole. But it clearly drops off at the third zone, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better again based off of the footage i've seen of the zones after. I don't know what my final score will end up being yet until I play more (and that's IF I play more). But yeah, they should just hand the wheel over to the Mania developers. There are actually a decent amount of free fan games, even some complete ones, that are more worth your time than this game. Like Triple Trouble 16bit.

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
At least the Switch version of Superstars runs at 60fps, the prior Sonic ports to the platform have been locked to 30 and dropped below that. Even Colors Ultimate...

I also found the physics and controls spot-on with the classics. And if nothing else, I didn't run into any Dimps level quirks in the first few levels. Namely bottomless pits or spike traps that hit you out of nowhere.

Impression wise, I was actually really enjoying the first two zones, Bridge and Jungle. Those seem like they have the best level design and also visual design. When I reached the third zone however, it dropped off hard. It's also where the soundtrack starts to fall off as well. The bosses also aren't very good either and go on way too long. Special stages are fun, but seem relatively easy based on the first few emeralds i've gotten. I beat the first on in literally like 5 seconds, and the second one didn't take too much longer than that. Third took longer, but was still very easy. The unlockable emerald powers also aren't fun, but at least they appear to be optional (so far). One thing I will mention is that I quite enjoyed the part in the Jungle zone where Nack chases you, which the GamingBolt review didn't like. So take that however you will. It reminded me of the Metal Sonic chases in CD/Mania, but IMO actually quite a bit better.

Up until the third zone, i'd probably have given this game an 8. It was a lot better than Sonic 4 at least and I was having quite a bit of fun. In fact, I still think it's going to end up being a lot better than Sonic 4 as a whole. But it clearly drops off at the third zone, and it doesn't look like it's going to get better again based off of the footage i've seen of the zones after. I don't know what my final score will end up being yet until I play more (and that's IF I play more). But yeah, they should just hand the wheel over to the Mania developers. There are actually a decent amount of free fan games, even some complete ones, that are more worth your time than this game. Like Triple Trouble 16bit.
At this point Sega should really consider doing something like licensing the IP, like Touhou does, since homebrew developers do better Sonic games than them..

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point Sega should really consider doing something like licensing the IP, like Touhou does, since homebrew developers do better Sonic games than them..
They've licensed the franchise out to plenty of other developers before, more often than not it has turned out poorly. Dimps being the longest term example with a few early wins at least. Sonic Boom was given to Big Red Button (which was made up of former Naughty Dog, Heavy Iron and High Impact people), the 3DS Boom games were developed by Sanzaru, and now Arzest for Superstars. Even Bioware somehow managed to fuck up a Sonic RPG.

Classic 2D Sonic requires a certain understanding of what makes the level design work. This talent seems only to really exist among the fan community such as the Mania team or other individuals like Noah Copeland and such. They grew up with the classic games and have studied the hell out of what makes them tick. I really do think the only proper way forward with the 2D games now is to give it to people like them. There are also plenty of quality Sonic-like games with original IP in the Indie scene. Like Spark the Electric Jester and Freedom Planet.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The final boss of Sonic Superstars is a buggy mess on the Switch. I pray a day 1 patch fixes it (I'll be buying this on PC or PS5). It was fun to play through but I've yet to beat the final boss due to awful frame drops, collision issues like falling through floors, rings disappearing and more.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was at Gamestop store they had 3 version of switch kiosk regular, Oled and Lite with all demos on them. Played Super Mario Bros. Wonder It was fun and new style

Reactions: Marc_LFD

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Superstars is decent, I don't see anything wrong with it especially with the game mechanics. It doesn't have the poor game mechanics that the first Sonic 4 had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y