Super Metroid gets an early recompilation and PC port project

1678121511375.png

One of the fan-favourite and most liked entries in the Metroid franchise, Super Metroid, got an early recompilation in C/C++ and PC port at GitHub under the MIT license, from the same developers that tackled A Link to the Past recompilation and PC port from some months ago. The term "recompilation" is given (mostly made up by me) due to the fact that the original game wasn't made in C/C++ language, as most games in the early 8-bit and 16-bit era were entirely made in assembly (6502 for NES and 65816 for SNES), so the game's original code is redone into C/C++ language to mimic/resemble the original assembly code once compiled. This goes beyond what a decompilation project does, which is to recreate the original's game source code based on the same language it originally used, like N64 games being developed in C language.

The project seems to have been released just a few hours ago, and right now, as with the recompilation for A Link to the Past, the project is compatible with Windows (with Visual Studio) and Linux (using SDL2 and Python). The project is in a very early development stage, and with the initial commit just being made, it's still unknown how stable it is or how it controls so far. The project will most likely see some upcoming commits to iron out the code a bit more and provide more information regarding controls and other features.

As with other decompilation projects, the repository doesn't include any of the original game's assets, as it requires the user to own and provide your own Super Metroid ROM named "sm.smc" to extract all of the game's assets and begin the compilation afterwards.

:arrow: Source

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earthbound! earthbound! earthbound!
If Tomato is to be believed, that feels unlikely, in large part because Earthbound in particular uses a scripting system that is almost a programming language into itself.

Absurd as it might seem, it would almost be as doable to have a SNES running a modified Earthbound emulating the original NES game through said scripts than trying to recompile how it slogs through all that.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Tomato is to be believed, that feels unlikely, in large part because Earthbound in particular uses a scripting system that is almost a programming language into itself.
That doesn't really mean someone couldn't "recompile" the ASM instructions in C/C++ as in these projects. It does probably mean that no one would be able to do anything especially meaningful with it afterwards without a lot more work.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Super Metroid in widescreen would be pretty rad honestly.
That's already a thing. I completed Super Metroid that way a few years ago. Check out bsnes and the widescreen patches.
Unfortunately, you get slowdowns with too many sprites on-screen, which is easier with the bigger viewport. But that only happened a few times in Lower Norfair, I think.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
In quality made PC ports, of course, since Nintendo can't do jackshit about decompilations, recompilations or PC ports :tpi:
They can't as long as the developers doesn't provide any Nintendo's owned assets. It's nothing to laught about, it's just on the same ballpark as emulation when it comes to legal stuff.

In fact, it's Rockstar who has actually gone after decompilations, and even managed to bring them down, creating a real precedent and making the memeing pretty stupid.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo should get into PC gaming.
Post automatically merged:

16:9 android, switch, PC, whatever port. :)
Nintendo did get many of their classic games like Super Mario Bros. ported on the PC-88, and oh my was it terrible.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
you need to supply your own rom as this doesn't seem to extract them, but here it is (be warned, it crashes a lot):
Running great! F2 through F10 are for savestates, someone will probably need them as it seems to be crashy on some areas according to some reports.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running great! F2 through F10 are for savestates, someone will probably need them as it seems to be crashy on some areas according to some reports.
the crashing is a known issue, especially at boot. I asked about it on their discord, and several others have reported the same problems. there's one person with an extremely glitchy screenshot, which almost looked like one of those issues you'd see with the nes, like if there was dust in the cartridge or something. lol

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
there's one person with an extremely glitchy screenshot, which almost looked like one of those issues you'd see with the nes, like if there was dust in the cartridge or something. lol
Lol. A gamer throwback.

It does run very nice for a first release, being compatible with joysticks and all. I can imagine the mods that will eventually happen.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. A gamer throwback.

It does run very nice for a first release, being compatible with joysticks and all. I can imagine the mods that will eventually happen.
someone on discord is working on a customizer for the game. I think it's built off of the zelda3 customizer, so it should get even easier to customize it the way you want. I'm pretty sure the same team did zelda3, because there's a zelda3 section and a super metroid section on the same discord server.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work