Super Retro-Cade

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small non-update update. It's been a month since I email Retro-Bit about them releasing the source to all the GPLv2 bits they used (and tried to see if they'd give any dts or hardware details). The last reply I got (after their first reply) was on October 26 and says more or less the same as the last one: "Thank you for your email and thank you for your support! Regarding your request, I will pass this down to the development department and see what they can get."

Maybe in the next month, I'll get yet another email basically saying the same thing. :) I just hope they don't sign me up to any of their mailing lists (if they have any).

PSX_Specter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a small non-update update. It's been a month since I email Retro-Bit about them releasing the source to all the GPLv2 bits they used (and tried to see if they'd give any dts or hardware details). The last reply I got (after their first reply) was on October 26 and says more or less the same as the last one: "Thank you for your email and thank you for your support! Regarding your request, I will pass this down to the development department and see what they can get."

Maybe in the next month, I'll get yet another email basically saying the same thing. :) I just hope they don't sign me up to any of their mailing lists (if they have any).
Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping they will send you something useful. (Dear Santa, please send us a 100% working and correct linux distro and/or SDK for our retro-cades. We would also like an android image with networking enabled. We have been mostly good all year, and are prepared to strike up a deal involving cookies and milk in exchange for the aforementioned software. The best to you and yours, from your fans at GBAtemp.)

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. Haven't gotten any further emails. Presumably one could use the latest build of Lakka. Not sure if all the kinks have been worked out on what image and dtb to use? If you're interested in toying around, feel free to try. Maybe you'll find a good combination that allows everything to work well? *shrug*

Pixel_Sweat

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi folks I'm new to the forums and would really like to know if anyone has gotten PC Engine CD, TG16 CD or Genesis CD ROMs working on the Super Retro-Cade version 1.1?

I'm not that tech savvy and can't seem to figure out how to do it, if they even work at all.

I've no problem adding most games and artwork. Just the CD based ROMs.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm desperate to play a bunch of shmups from those systems, thanks.

PSX_Specter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks I'm new to the forums and would really like to know if anyone has gotten PC Engine CD, TG16 CD or Genesis CD ROMs working on the Super Retro-Cade version 1.1?

I'm not that tech savvy and can't seem to figure out how to do it, if they even work at all.

I've no problem adding most games and artwork. Just the CD based ROMs.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I'm desperate to play a bunch of shmups from those systems, thanks.
I recall I was able to run sega cd on the stock firmware, but it is much better to just boot lakka.
Better emulation overall, more emulators, more options, support for many more controllers, supports
SD cards larger than 32GB, you can add a usb hub, add a wifi dongle or usb ethernet adapter for easy
rom transfers...I honestly quit using the stock firmware as soon as I found this thread. Never looked back.
I had the best results using the release candidate version I mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

TLDR : 1) Study this thread. 2) Make an SD card with a lakka image. 3) Laugh maniacally at the insane
amount of upgrades you have now on your special little toy.

Last edited by PSX_Specter,

WarMasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I did everything up to Step 6 in the original post. Now can someone tell me what I need to do in order to copy/dump all the roms on the system to the SD card, if it's possible? I'd really like to legally have all the Final Fight games in my ROM library...

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now can someone tell me what I need to do in order to copy/dump all the roms on the system to the SD card, if it's possible

Assuming my instructions were correct and I didn't forget anything, it should be as simple as:

Code:
cp -av /storage/roms/mmcblk2p7-*/media/GAME super_retrocade_games
sync
shutdown -h now

The first copies the specified games folder to the SD card. The second syncs the data to be sure any cache of the games is flushed. The third shuts down the system safely. The screen should blank after ~5-10 seconds and then it should be safe to power off the system. The total contents for the games + screenshots should only take up ~143MB.

Of some interest, the hash of Final Fight 2 doesn't seem to match any of the no intro set. I noticed the same of other games in the collection. Perhaps it's to remove/change text/logos, as I know Mega Man 2/3 has similar removing references to Nintendo.

Last edited by kuwanger,

WarMasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I did the commands, but after doing the third, it says "System halted" and it just sits there and doesn't shut down. Furthermore, when I put the SD card back in my computer, none of the ROMs are on there. What's wrong?

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, I did the commands, but after doing the third, it says "System halted" and it just sits there and doesn't shut down. Furthermore, when I put the SD card back in my computer, none of the ROMs are on there. What's wrong?

First, when you do the "cp" command do you see a bunch of files listed as copied? Do all the second parts look like "/storage/Final Fight 2.sfc"? Does it give you any error about a read-only filesystem? If not, the copy did work. The problem is you need some like ext2read or a ext2 filesystem driver to read the contents of the second partition with the games. The second option is to remount the read-writable first partition which is fat. So:

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /flash/
cp -av /storage/roms/mmcblk2p7-*/media/GAME /flash/super_retrocade_games
sync
shutdown -h now

Sorry about the not remember it's "System halt" not blanking the screen. But yea, I'd wait a few seconds after that just to be safe.

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried two different computers and have had no luck downloading this file... it cuts off about a gig into the transfer. Will this be hosted elsewhere?

WarMasterXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I've got all the ROMs I want from the Retrocade and reformatted the Lakka SD card back to a normal SD card, because I don't wanna leave the retrocade modded (I have my reasons).

Unfortunately, now every time I start the retrocade with the SD card inserted (even without Lakka on it), the system starts booting Lakka anyway and then freezes up trying to read uEnv.txt!

Is there any way I can remove the remaining traces of Lakka from the system?

kuwanger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds to me that there's two possibilities. One, any SD card inserted with a specially flagged boot partition may cause it to try to look for uEnv.txt--not entirely sure how much of the ARM boot process is in the hardware vs x86. Two, the SD card wasn't entirely formatted leaving a boot loader on the card that tries to boot uEnv.txt. If you were using linux, I'd suggest using dd. For Windows, I have no idea if the official SD Formatter does a proper job totally erasing the card if you choose full erase/format, but I'd go with that approach as a start.

Slaminger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.battleaxewarriors.net
XP
Country
Canada
This should work the same way I modded Atari flashback 8 gold. Cut the tip off a USB cord(not the end that goes into the PC). White to tx, green to rx, ground to black. Connect USB to PC n turn device on. Install ADB on PC. Open command and type adb devices, you should get a reply. Now you can use Linux commands to make system writeable, explore directories and push/pull files. Look for the game folder to verify rom extensions. Look for the games and config ini to add games and settings. Also don't connect the red 5v to anything.

Last edited by Slaminger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl: +1