Super Retro-Cade

kjetil_f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you for your thorough response. It's always sad when someone pass away.

I know I can always find the ROMs elsewhere, but I like to create backup-copies of my own purchases. I think it makes the ROM collection a bit more personal. You have helped me a lot in narrowing down what to do.

Unfortunately the original Orange Pi image they have been using are no longer available. Had no luck yet, but I'll see if I'll get something to work properly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting. Never met that one before -- personal saves is obvious, met those that ponder legal issues of downloading vs dumping, those that did it for the challenge, those that prefer physical media and more besides but files is generally considered files for these sorts of purposes.

Most Linux distros will also contain archives of their older works, or have them archived somewhere. Specifics can be hard for anything that is not high on https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity or on https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major but most things linux are mirrored in many places, and may still have torrents.
In this case https://le-builds.lakka.tv/legacy-2.3/Allwinner.orangepi_lite.arm/ is probably where you want to start looking for something here. If it is still an active project then do also see if there is a contact page or method for them as what is not online might be on someone's hard drive somewhere and getting random devices working with things is what many a Linux type (and these are far from an exception -- the amount of versions they have attesting to that) are all too happy to assist in.

Alternatively if there is a compatible version that is more current the changes required to make it boot seem rather basic text file twiddling (granted depending upon the era then most things in Linux are there) rather than anything drastic. The same tools you would be using to access the SD card after dumping would also allow you access to the relevant text config files.

Reactions: kjetil_f

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
Hi you guys, sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences. I just wanted to ask you if anyone can clarify if dumping the roms from the device via the Linux image will only work with the US version of the device? And if so, because I own the European version I wanted to ask if there is any guidance on how to access the Linux console and dump the roms on the device via UART with Putty after soldering header pins onto the device? Things like settings in Putty (Baud rate) and eventual passwords? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure what differences an EU model would have. Having never seen either nor seen anybody speculate or mention things in this I am completely unaware of anything, at the same time I don't necessary see any different region updates (though such things could be merged easily enough) and I doubt they actually care about people dumping things enough to play counter hacker.

For most things these days it means it ships with a different plug (60Hz screens have been common here since... probably since the games were new never mind post shift to HDMI), and maybe some different certifications if they are being good boys. However I can not rule out something more annoying happening vis a vis rights to things and thus different images.

To that end start following what is there. If something messes up then we can try to see what else might need to be done.

kjetil_f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi you guys, sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences. I just wanted to ask you if anyone can clarify if dumping the roms from the device via the Linux image will only work with the US version of the device? And if so, because I own the European version I wanted to ask if there is any guidance on how to access the Linux console and dump the roms on the device via UART with Putty after soldering header pins onto the device? Things like settings in Putty (Baud rate) and eventual passwords? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I got the European version as well. I got this link from a guy on Reddit. Who said it worked on the Super Retro-Cade. (Couldn't post a link, but you will find it on the top of the SuperRetrocade subreddit)

Don't know if it works with the EU version though.

The Lakka/SD card way says "Permission denied" when I try to enter the mmcblk2p7 folder. Not sure why.

Last edited by kjetil_f,
Reactions: LuckyCharms0815

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
I got the European version as well. I got this link from a guy on Reddit. Who said it worked on the Super Retro-Cade. (Couldn't post a link, but you will find it on the top of the SuperRetrocade subreddit)

Don't know if it works with the EU version though.

The Lakka/SD card way says "Permission denied" when I try to enter the mmcblk2p7 folder. Not sure why.
It seems like they simply removed the access permissions for this folder via chmod on the European version.
I am thinking of buying the US version as well just to dump the roms, but it seems on eBay only version 1.1. of the US version is available. I wonder if it is still possible there?
The UART method on the other hand seems like a surefire method to me, as it most likely unlocks more administrative privileges but even though I took some Embedded Systems at a UAS I can’t quite figure out how to do it. Soldering and finding an UART should be easy, but Putty asks for a Baud Rate for the device and I don’t quite know which one to enter.

kjetil_f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am thinking of buying the US version as well just to dump the roms, but it seems on eBay only version 1.1. of the US version is available. I wonder if it is still possible there?
Since they also removed the ability to play arcade ROMs on the European 1.1 version, I'm guessing that's when they removed access permissions as well. So it probably works fine on the American 1.1. Someone in this thread can probably confirm if it works.

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
So I gave the UART method a shot, because the components were only about 10 bucks on Amazon and it turned out that no soldering is required and the Baud rate is also easy to figure out. This indeed gives you a root shell on the device but unfortunately this is where things stopped for me. Kuwangers guide doesn’t seem to apply with this method, the mmc… folders are nowhere to be found, so I figured they had to be somewhere else. I remember seeing them talk about retrieving the folder from a NAND dump, but I don’t know how to pull that off. Is this the data partition that can be found via the „mount“ command?

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
How does that work? You just use tape or something?
Did‘nt have to use tape at all. You could use fishing line, but that is not even necessary. Just buy Male to female jumper wire and connect it that way, it will fit simply by sticking the male jumper connector into the hole. I can confirm that the UART method works for the European unit now. All you need to do is get the UART going and then dd the system partition and mount it. Good luck!

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
Did‘nt have to use tape at all. You could use fishing line, but that is not even necessary. Just buy Male to female jumper wire and connect it that way, it will fit simply by sticking the male jumper connector into the hole. I can confirm that the UART method works for the European unit now. All you need to do is get the UART going and then dd the system partition and mount it. Good luck!
Whatever you do, just don’t distribute it. In my case I just did it because save states for SNES and NES were so slow that games where unplayable when you need to save often.

LuckyCharms0815

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bermuda
Whatever you do, just don’t distribute it. In my case I just did it because save states for SNES and NES were so slow that games where unplayable when you need to save often.
Also I dream of putting these files onto a Pi for Pi2Jamma at least once in a lifetime. 😂 Hope they release way more Arcade collections to buy and hack, that would be great.

kjetil_f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
and then dd the system partition and mount it.
So glad it worked out. I want to give it a shot myself. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction on what to do on the software side of things. Don't expect you to do a full on tutorial just for me, but I've never done this kind of things before and are very curious. I plug the USB into my computer and then what? Is this something I can do from the Command Promt in Windows, or do I need to do this in Linux? And what sort of commands am I suppose to use?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So glad it worked out. I want to give it a shot myself. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction on what to do on the software side of things. Don't expect you to do a full on tutorial just for me, but I've never done this kind of things before and are very curious. I plug the USB into my computer and then what? Is this something I can do from the Command Promt in Windows, or do I need to do this in Linux? And what sort of commands am I suppose to use?
Going to be limited to the general case but going with the idea that understanding general principles is good/the way I try to roll rather than copy-pasting a list of arcane commands and hoping it works.

Most things in this sort of world these days are better in Linux but Windows should be able to be slapped hard enough still. You can do it from stock command line ( https://windowsreport.com/telnet-windows-11/ or https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/terminal/tutorials/ssh depending upon what goes) but most would instead suggest putty rather than messing around with command line programs if you are new to this all https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ . Leave the command line stuff until you are a grizzled sysadmin https://xkcd.com/705/ or doing some kind of production run/hacking a batch of things.

The video covered the general case. UART/serial debugging is usually designed to be quite simple both as it is a very old concept and designed for simpler devices.
The USB is likely just an adapter and breakout pins to fake an old serial/RS232 port, might need some drivers on Windows (and often enough, even on high end industrial gear, I have had to fight them a bit/go manual to install things). If you have an old computer or certain modern ones with a serial port you could possibly even use that, though that might also need to find a cable/breakout adapter and at that point I would get the USB for either future use if this is something you like (there are rather more protocols to debug/program/sort inter device communication for electronics http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate ) or resale.

Commands wise there are two general approaches used in devices. In both cases you remote controlling the device via the cable so whatever you are signing in from is largely immaterial.

1) It exposes a standard command line for itself. Here whatever *nix commands it supports (which are unlikely to be all that many, stripping things out of embedded devices like this is common to get sizes/memory footprints down, though usually still including the stock ones to move around directories and copy files which is what you likely care about here -- https://www.unixtutorial.org/basic-unix-commands ) you get to play with.
2) It is its own custom shell/terminal. I typically see this on the weaker devices (I was somewhat surprised in the video linked above that it was not this*) or ones that at least want fig leaf/"we tried" security. Here commands can be completely and utterly custom, though help, manual, obvious commands, commands from similar known devices, dumping binaries and searching strings, hoping autocomplete (in most things this is pressing tab either once or a couple of times) is installed... all viable paths to finding things. Some might also be able to break out of the custom shell into the standard terminal but that is a rather more advanced trick.

*bit old now but one of my favourite videos on hacking in general -- if you ever wanted a distilled version of the hacker mindset in video form then that is one of the better ones I have ever seen/reason I continue to return to it all these years later

dd mentioned above is a rather powerful command in *nix systems that can copy things at file/lower level still from one place to another, and in some cases wipe things out so be sure your source and destination is correct (possibly less of an issue here if various things are read only)
https://www.unixtutorial.org/commands/dd

Also yes if the little device features wifi/networking and a copy of telnet/ssh you can use that in turn to go back to another machine (possibly the one you are controlling from) and round and round it goes, only stopping when someone presses reboot and realises they were signed in to the server running the whole operation (I would say ask me how I know but it is fairly standard new sysadmin hijinks/failure).

kjetil_f

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
about 10 bucks on Amazon
Just to be on the safe side. I'm not well versed with these type of components. Would you mind pointing to what you got from Amazon, so I don't accidentally order some wrong parts? I'm guessing some sort of UART to USB device and some male to female jumper wires.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Deeze nuts