Suspicious login attempts begin to plague Switch owners, Nintendo to investigate

EVMGrbqUYAAz7Ax.jpg

There's something concerning going on, as Nintendo Switch owners are reporting that they're seeing suspicious attempted log-ins for their account. Many users are sharing that they've either received emails from Nintendo with notices of log-ins from new devices, or even some that say their saved payment information was used to purchase V-bucks in Fortnite without their authorization. While Nintendo hasn't confirmed or denied as to whether or not there was a data breach or if there's a problem unfolding, it would be wise to make sure your account is secured. You can do so by resetting your password, checking out if there's been an unauthorized log-in attempt by looking at your history, removing your linked PayPal or Credit Card accounts, or turning 2-Step Verification on for your Switch account, which Nintendo themselves recommended just last week.

Nintendo is now aware of the problem and is "investigating the situation". They again recommend that users turn on 2FA.

EDIT: One of our users is conducting a poll to see who has been affected. You can fill it out here.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit like this happens all the time. If you save your card info on your account then you shouldn't be shocked when someone hacks your account and spends a shitload of money that isn't theirs in the first place. This goes for all online accounts too, not just Nintendo

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Luckily me, credit card has been outdated since last year, and as i hadn't changed, they can't do anything.
Anyways, password changed and 2 step enabled too.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My account was also accesed a couple of weeks ago from different locations at the same time, enabled 2fa and contacted nintendo telling what happened and if i needed to take extra measures. Not a single word from them, they must be swimming in money with this covid19 thing.

I'm fairly confident I have a secure password, but I removed all payment options from my account. Kinda rubbish for a company like Nintendo not to have baked in 2-step verification.

Using an authenticator is ideal, you don't need to mess with a different program for every service.

Last edited by xabier,

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I got Nintendo emails about logins from Russia and India. Turned on 2-step for all my nintendo accounts.

Last month someone tried to order a $500 hand dryer on amazon and 2 weeks later someone ordered a $400 tower fan through my paypal. Had to turn on 2-factor for those accts too, crazy times! Everyone locked up in their homes, nothing better to do I guess.

D

Deleted User

GGRRRR fuck them seriously.
I wanted to go to their website and login to check my account and yes I can login but no logout, no "my account" or somethings. Fuck them. I think I have to find what fucking sattelite they are using for french people.

EDIT: Of course.... you have to go to https://accounts.nintendo.com/
Thanks GOOGLE.

Last edited by ,

jpx86

Trophies
XP
Country
Just checked my account it's good, I do link one of my credit cards just to make things easier worse case senario if it happens just call your bank to dispute. I avoid using the store cards because it's hard to prove if you used it or someone else.
I would unlink your credit card. The worst case scenario is worse than what you described. If you call and dispute with your bank, then Nintendo will ban your account. You will lose access to all your previous purchases.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not Nintendo related, but I do get constant fake paypal mails about my account is being locked telling me to confirm info for unlock. My old password is definitely mined thanks to a website leak, despite changing the PW with a 2-step my email is probably mined for spam.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thankfully I have never used my Switch online or registered a credit card or any other account with money on it to Nintendo.

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a sign in attempt the other day from an Italian IP. I changed my password after that attempt and received an email from the same region that someone logged in. Clicked sign out of all devices, reset my password again, turned on 2fa and i had no more attempts. I dont think i ever bought anything on the eshop so i have no payment info saved.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
This would explain what I've recently been seeing.

I had an attempt on my account on the 14th from Italy (I'm US). The password might have been shared, so changed it to a randomly generated one that was unique.

6 days later I got another login attempt from Russia. No idea how they would have gotten in.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would explain what I've recently been seeing.

I had an attempt on my account on the 14th from Italy (I'm US). The password might have been shared, so changed it to a randomly generated one that was unique.

6 days later I got another login attempt from Russia. No idea how they would have gotten in.
i think nintendo has been hacked far worse than we relised i would run an AV scan for Keyloggers on your pc's if randomly generated passwords are being cracked that easily i suspect more is in play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work