Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Have an unpatched Switch on 5.1.0 fw. How do I go about installing the latest cfw? Should I use the system updater to go to latest fw and then follow rentry guide?

Also confused about the emulated nand. When I create it, the hacked nand is gonna boot of the SD card or of the actual nand? If there is a choice, which one is better?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have an unpatched Switch on 5.1.0 fw. How do I go about installing the latest cfw? Should I use the system updater to go to latest fw and then follow rentry guide?

Also confused about the emulated nand. When I create it, the hacked nand is gonna boot of the SD card or of the actual nand? If there is a choice, which one is better?
Yes, I find https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy is easy to follow. You don’t have to mess w/ Sysnand (aside from making a backup of it) if you find Darthsternie Firmware.

You will create a config file called hekate_ipl.ini that will define your boot options. When you boot into CFW (Atmosphere) on Emunand you will be using everything on the SDCard and not touching your internal Sysnand at all.
Post automatically merged:

Which is the best way to emulate PSP on Switch? PPSSPP standalone, or RA core?
”Best” is a bit subjective but PPSSPP standalone by a nose IMO but the games I play work just as well in RA so I usually boot up in RA for the convenience of everything in one interface and if it doesn’t work well I try it in PPSSPP. There’s no reason you can’t have both.

I backed up my switch
installed android
and when adding the emummc folder and back up I ran out of space on my sd..
can I reinstall emummc with out the back up folder?
You should keep you backups on your PC. This way you can delete you backup folder on your Switch and reclaim the space. Also look for old nsp or xci files that you already installed.

e: you can also delete a few games and once you’re back up, install them in the emunand. You will have about 25G of free space just sitting there. Might as well use it for something! Your game saves are not removed if you delete a game so you won’t lose your spot.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: Lamcza and ganons

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard there was a hidden browser on the switch using a dns setting could that not be an entry point I mean atleast for lower entry homebrew it could be?
Ninty learned a ton. The browser and user space and game save space and kernel are all segregated. The idea of a monolithic OS where everything provides an entrypoint is gone. Now you need an entrypoint into each level. The last level is the kernel and it does very little except be the kernel. SciresM has scrutinized what little code there is and found nothing to breach the final barrier. This is with all the code visible. It's not a mystery at all. The less code written, the fewer entry points available.

So bottom line. We have hacks that effect the browser. They just don't go anywhere.

ColdBlitz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninty learned a ton. The browser and user space and game save space and kernel are all segregated. The idea of a monolithic OS where everything provides an entrypoint is gone. Now you need an entrypoint into each level. The last level is the kernel and it does very little except be the kernel. SciresM has scrutinized what little code there is and found nothing to breach the final barrier. This is with all the code visible. It's not a mystery at all. The less code written, the fewer entry points available.

So bottom line. We have hacks that effect the browser. They just don't go anywhere.
why did nintendo have to make their security so advanced whyyyy ;(

• Haha
Reactions: binkinator

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, I find https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy is easy to follow. You don’t have to mess w/ Sysnand (aside from making a backup of it) if you find Darthsternie Firmware.

You will create a config file called hekate_ipl.ini that will define your boot options. When you boot into CFW (Atmosphere) on Emunand you will be using everything on the SDCard and not touching your internal Sysnand at all.

”Best” is a bit subjective but PPSSPP standalone by a nose IMO but the games I play work just as well in RA so I usually boot up in RA for the convenience of everything in one interface and if it doesn’t work well I try it in PPSSPP. There’s no reason you can’t have both.

You should keep you backups on your PC. This way you can delete you backup folder on your Switch and reclaim the space. Also look for old nsp or xci files that you already installed.

e: you can also delete a few games and once you’re back up, install them in the emunand. You will have about 25G of free space just sitting there. Might as well use it for something! Your game saves are not removed if you delete a game so you won’t lose your spot.
what do you use for n64 :P?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you use for n64 :P?
I play very little N64 on my Switch. Most the games I‘m interested in already come with N64 NSO.
I played with w/ CaVE Database just to add a few more that didn’t come with NSO. If your’e hardcore N64…this might not work for you.

e: N64 compatibility list:

Reactions: BigOnYa and Lamcza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I play very little N64 on my Switch. Most the games I‘m interested in already come with N64 NSO.
I played with w/ CaVE Database just to add a few more that didn’t come with NSO. If your’e hardcore N64…this might not work for you.

e: N64 compatibility list:

so RA is no go? becouse i'm traying and i'm ending up with sound issue no matter what i change in it :P

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so RA is no go? becouse i'm traying and i'm ending up with sound issue no matter what i change in it :P
There are people better than me who eek out performance or other artifact/sound/whathaveyou in RA on a case by case basis. So it depends…

Reactions: Lamcza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are people better than me who eek out performance or other artifact/sound/whathaveyou in RA on a case by case basis. So it depends…
So no go, yea I kinda never liked RA anyway, thx. :toot:

edit: another question is it possible to migrate android to a new sd card?

Last edited by Lamcza,

memrat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

@binkinator Could you possibly expand on this please? Which should I be following on rentry and where Darthsternie come into play? Really appreciate any extra help you can offer - thank you.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

@binkinator Could you possibly expand on this please? Which should I be following on rentry and where Darthsternie come into play? Really appreciate any extra help you can offer - thank you.

Darthsternie is just a page from where you can get firmware for updating your emummc after you make it ;P so you don't need to update your system nand if you do not want to. You can just update your emunand/emummc in daybrake.

About that guide, i think you should go from the start :X but to answer your question update is around here https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade so after making emu and instaling atmosphere.
Remember to be in your emu when you want to update just emu. Your stock/system nand you can update by system option(but there is no need for that).

When you want to be sure that you are in emummc/emunand go to "settings" scroll down to "system" and check what is below "system update" it should be ended with "E" for example if you are on firmware 15.0.1 and atmosphere 1.4.1 whole line will looke like this "Current system version 15.0.1|AMS 1.4.1|E"

Last edited by Lamcza,

wikisa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Im still waiting for hwfly module to my nintendo switch lite, however I've got possibility to buy another nintendo switch lite with "sxos" really cheap - price is as for generic used nintendo switch lite without modchip.

The seller send me pic thats shows "BOOT.DAT" screen. Is this sufficient to believe the modchip is legit and it will be fully working? The seller says he doesn't have sd card to test it, so if I buy that I don't want a possibility to run into a issue where it indeed shows "boot.dat" but its for ex. completely bricked or sd card reader not works at all or other weird issue that explains the low price. What other things I should ask the seller for? Or is "BOOT.DAT" screen a really sufficient to believe it works correctly? Thanks

Temaps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I continue my list of long questions, sorry for that...

I have (as I have not progressed on my jump to atmosphere) still SX OS with emunand. How can I take all my saves and bring them with me to use them on atmosphere ?

I've checked internet and there are at least 3 homebrew that seems to do the job : JKSV, Edizon, and Checkpoint. No idea which one is the "best" ? It seems that JKSV is more commonly recommended from the multiple websites I have seen (recommended at least 70-80% of the time compared to the 2 others)

What is planned :
- First SD card = SX OS emunand file on SD
- Second SD card = Atmosphere PARTITION emunand on SD

From what I understood, I have to boot to my SX OS emunand (in my first SD card), perform the backup of my saves with the associated homebrew. That should create the folders with the savegame files in the SD card (as this is where my SX OS emuNAND is located) ?

Copy this folder in the second SD card that has Atmosphere (partition emuNAND on SD card), start the savegame homebrew chosen (JKSV, Edizon or Checkpoint or other) and apply the saves to the Atmosphere partition Emunand ?

What happens if my saves are made with a superXCI backup on my SX OS ? Will it be compatible with a NSP game on Atmosphere ? I do not know the impact of the game version on the savegame.

To transfer my saves from SX OS to atmosphere, do I need the Atmosphere emuNAND to be a file based emunand as my SX OS was already a file based emunand or can I have a partition based emunand for atmosphere ?

Thanks

edit : typo

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I continue my list of long questions, sorry for that...

I have (as I have not progressed on my jump to atmosphere) still SX OS with emunand. How can I take all my saves and bring them with me to use them on atmosphere ?

I've checked internet and there are at least 3 homebrew that seems to do the job : JKSV, Edizon, and Checkpoint. No idea which one is the "best" ? It seems that JKSV is more commonly recommended from the multiple websites I have seen (recommended at least 70-80% of the time compared to the 2 others)

What is planned :
- First SD card = SX OS emunand file on SD
- Second SD card = Atmosphere PARTITION emunand on SD

From what I understood, I have to boot to my SX OS emunand (in my first SD card), perform the backup of my saves with the associated homebrew. That should create the folders with the savegame files in the SD card (as this is where my SX OS emuNAND is located) ?

Copy this folder in the second SD card that has Atmosphere (partition emuNAND on SD card), start the savegame homebrew chosen (JKSV, Edizon or Checkpoint or other) and apply the saves to the Atmosphere Emunand ?

What happens if my saves are made with a superXCI backup on my SX OS ? Will it be compatible with a NSP game on Atmosphere ? I do not know the impact of the game version on the savegame.

Thanks

edit : typo
JKSV is currently best save manager followed by Checkpoint and then EdiZon in dead last place. Usage is relatively straightforward as you have demonstrated without having even booted the app. Save files are stored in the console so how the save file was made, whether it was an .XCI or .NSP file, has no bearing. However the game update will matter because if you dump and restore save data from a game on a higher update, the game will not launch unless that update or higher is installed.

Gizwho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all, sorry for the dumb question, but would anyone be able to provide me the Title ID for Link's Awakening version 1.0.1? I have the Title ID for version 1 (01006BB00C6F0000), but I cannot seem to find it for version 1.0.1.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Save files are stored in the console"
Oh I thought the saves were stored on the SD card when we have an emuNAND on SD card.
Yes and no. Save files are stored in the console when it comes to sysMMC. However, the console exists on the SD card when it comes to emuMMC so you are right in that the saves for emuMMC are technically stored on the SD card. If you are using partition-based emuMMC, they are stored within the partition. Sorry if I initially confused you with that line.

Temaps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok perfect, then the saves from my SX OS file-based emuNAND on SD are stored on the SD and I will copy these saves to the partition-based (that I will create) Atmosphere emuNAND on the SD (the second one). The console and sysNAND will not be impacted.
Clear thanks.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn +1