Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, i'm new here :), hi to all :)
I have a switch that in the dock with bayonetta 3 reaches 70 degrees, but the fan does not go beyond 50% use. I was wondering if there is any config file in atmosphere to be able to set a higher fan usage value?

I state that in portable mode it is around 50 degrees and the fan does not go beyond about 25%. I obtained these informations via the status monitor (micro format) while playing

When was the last time thermal paste was replaced?

Reactions: binkinator

dt90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When was the last time thermal paste was replaced?
sorry, i forgot to mention that, you are right
a month ago i had a pc technician put the thermal paste between the processor and the heat pipe, and between the latter and the metal plate

he used an artic mx4 for both applications

other jobs he had done are battery replacement and replacement of the shield and fan with a single new piece

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, i'm new here :), hi to all :)
I have a switch that in the dock with bayonetta 3 reaches 70 degrees, but the fan does not go beyond 50% use. I was wondering if there is any config file in atmosphere to be able to set a higher fan usage value?

I state that in portable mode it is around 50 degrees and the fan does not go beyond about 25%. I obtained these informations via the status monitor (micro format) while playing

That’s a bit high for the fan to only be at 50%. You still aren’t in the danger zone but still. Are you overclocking?

You can change the fan profile like so:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/adjust-the-nintendo-switch-fan-speed.576561/
Post automatically merged:

sorry, i forgot to mention that, you are right
a month ago i had a pc technician put the thermal paste between the processor and the heat pipe, and between the latter and the metal plate

he used an artic mx4 for both applications

other jobs he had done are battery replacement and replacement of the shield and fan with a single new piece
I would suspect something was done wrong here…

I wouldn’t mess around with software patching until the hardware was solid…

dt90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That’s a bit high for the fan to only be at 50%. You still aren’t in the danger zone but still. Are you overclocking?

You can change the fan profile like so:
hi! no overclock, all stock frequencies

Thanks a lot for the link! i'm going to read right away!

p.s.
in fact those temperatures worried me too, i tried to ask in various discord servers but without response (in one server they even told me that those temperatures were fine), finally here i got lucky :D

.....the only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe the thermal paste has been put badly, or that a thicker thermal paste is needed between the heat pipe and the metal plate, as suggested on the ifixit site

Last edited by dt90,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi! no overclock, all stock frequencies

Thanks a lot for the link! i'm going to read right away!

p.s.
in fact those temperatures worried me too, i tried to ask in various discord servers but without response (in one server they even told me that those temperatures were fine), finally here i got lucky :D

.....the only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe the thermal paste has been put badly, or that a thicker thermal paste is needed between the heat pipe and the metal plate, as suggested on the ifixit site

You know if the fan was OEM?

Reactions: binkinator

rayida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping some kind soul can help me with a time sensitive issue here.

I hacked a Switch for a non-tech-savvy mate a year ago. He lives in a different country but visits about once a year. He mentioned his Switch was not turning on, essentially dead, so I told him to bring it with him on his next trip, which is now. Met up with him last night and sure enough, the device doesn't seem to turn on, and doesn't respond to dongle and jig either, so I brought it home with me last night. Plugged it into my PC this morning and my PC recognised that a device was connected by USB, so I fired up TegraRCMGUI, injected the payload, and was able to get the Switch to boot.
I wanted to get his Switch as up to date as possible, so I launched All In One updater, which I don't think I've used before, but put on there so that in theory he could update things himself. I wasn't sure what order to do things in, so I pulled up a video, unfortunately I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and I think I may have hit the wrong prompt at least once. I realise I should have used a guide rather than a video, but didn't realise that the guide supported AIO Updater. Anyhow, there's a good chance that I answered Yes to all of the below questions:

I was able to successfully (in theory) update Atmosphere, and then went to update the firmware. I believe that downloaded successfully, launched daybreak and I answered that I wanted to preserve settings, and install exfat and fat32 drivers, and when I hit reboot, that's where the problems began.

I received the message that many people have had, "A fatal error occurred when running fusee. Unable to identify Package", googled it and found myself on page 1828 of this thread, but am still lost. I can still launch Hekate via PC, and can access the USB Tools to add/remove stuff to the microSD, but I can not get the Switch to successfully boot to either Atmosphere or OFW. Atmosphere gives me the error message at the start of this paragraph. Booting to stock gives the error "no mandatory secmon or warmboot provided, failed to launch HOS, press any key...". This is likely a result of me trying a few different things to fix the issue such as installing Atmosphere manually via USB, updating hekate etc. Really trying to avoid starting over as there are a few games and a shop on the SD card that I'd prefer not to have to redownload. And it's time sensitive as my friend leaves tomorrow evening so I have less than 24 hours to try and solve the problem.

I am more than grateful for any assistance.
Not sure if "bumps" are allowed, just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts or suggestions.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm hoping some kind soul can help me with a time sensitive issue here.

I hacked a Switch for a non-tech-savvy mate a year ago. He lives in a different country but visits about once a year. He mentioned his Switch was not turning on, essentially dead, so I told him to bring it with him on his next trip, which is now. Met up with him last night and sure enough, the device doesn't seem to turn on, and doesn't respond to dongle and jig either, so I brought it home with me last night. Plugged it into my PC this morning and my PC recognised that a device was connected by USB, so I fired up TegraRCMGUI, injected the payload, and was able to get the Switch to boot.
I wanted to get his Switch as up to date as possible, so I launched All In One updater, which I don't think I've used before, but put on there so that in theory he could update things himself. I wasn't sure what order to do things in, so I pulled up a video, unfortunately I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have, and I think I may have hit the wrong prompt at least once. I realise I should have used a guide rather than a video, but didn't realise that the guide supported AIO Updater. Anyhow, there's a good chance that I answered Yes to all of the below questions:

I was able to successfully (in theory) update Atmosphere, and then went to update the firmware. I believe that downloaded successfully, launched daybreak and I answered that I wanted to preserve settings, and install exfat and fat32 drivers, and when I hit reboot, that's where the problems began.

I received the message that many people have had, "A fatal error occurred when running fusee. Unable to identify Package", googled it and found myself on page 1828 of this thread, but am still lost. I can still launch Hekate via PC, and can access the USB Tools to add/remove stuff to the microSD, but I can not get the Switch to successfully boot to either Atmosphere or OFW. Atmosphere gives me the error message at the start of this paragraph. Booting to stock gives the error "no mandatory secmon or warmboot provided, failed to launch HOS, press any key...". This is likely a result of me trying a few different things to fix the issue such as installing Atmosphere manually via USB, updating hekate etc. Really trying to avoid starting over as there are a few games and a shop on the SD card that I'd prefer not to have to redownload. And it's time sensitive as my friend leaves tomorrow evening so I have less than 24 hours to try and solve the problem.

I am more than grateful for any assistance.
Your first problem was using the AIO Updater which is a highly buggy and notorious tool for causing problems. Your second issue was following a video which are not only always outdated the moment they are released but are not made by any trusted members. The solution is going to involve starting over however you don't need to uninstall or touch any of the games currently on the SD card. For starters, remove the /atmosphere folder currently on the SD card and download a new one from the official GitHub page.
Never used cfw or homebrew on either sysnand so hoping i get away with it but seems unlikely, both consoles are on 16.0.0, one description of the error i saw seems to suggest the save transfer tool can't find the save file so i've been trying to find more information about what the save transfer tool looks for, how the switch names save files and how save files are bound to users but haven't been successful so far, also wondering if there's anything i should worry about now i've replaced the boot 0 and boot 1 files with ones from after the factory reset, it still boots fine and i had a look on switchbrew but not really knowledgeable enough to say for certain
Well if you never ran CFW or homebrew, then your chances of being banned are close to 0 since all bans are due to people using those. Theoretically, Nintendo shouldn't ban you in your case unless you've modified the save files in some way which will tip them off that the console is either hacked or connected to a hacked console. Replacing BOOT0/1 is only an issue if the new ones you installed are of a different firmware version than the current firmware version. Since there hasn't been any issues, its safe to assume you replace BOOT0/1 that matches the firmware you are currently on.

Thrumptus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well if you never ran CFW or homebrew, then your chances of being banned are close to 0 since all bans are due to people using those. Theoretically, Nintendo shouldn't ban you in your case unless you've modified the save files in some way which will tip them off that the console is either hacked or connected to a hacked console. Replacing BOOT0/1 is only an issue if the new ones you installed are of a different firmware version than the current firmware version. Since there hasn't been any issues, its safe to assume you replace BOOT0/1 that matches the firmware you are currently on.
Good to know, ty, any ideas about the save transfer issue?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately i don't know what OEM means (noob paradise here xD)

the shield and fan are an official nintendo replacement, that i know of

OEM mean original equipment manufacturer, was curious if they replaced it with OEM fan or third party, it make no sense for them to replace the fan unless it wasn't working.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know, ty, any ideas about the save transfer issue?
Its probably not going to work for multiple reasons. For one thing, the accounts have to be the same on both consoles and seeing how the save originally only booted on a secondary account, it doesn't sound like they have the same account. Also, they both have to be on the latest firmware. But probably the biggest issue is that you need a user that is linked to the same account on both consoles.

Thrumptus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its probably not going to work for multiple reasons. For one thing, the accounts have to be the same on both consoles and seeing how the save originally only booted on a secondary account, it doesn't sound like they have the same account. Also, they both have to be on the latest firmware. But probably the biggest issue is that you need a user that is linked to the same account on both consoles.
I'm already stuck in the save transfer state though, unless you mean I can't get out, the secondary account I mentioned actually happens to be my main switch account, I just don't have it on the emunand

Last edited by Thrumptus,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm already stuck in the save transfer state though, unless you mean I can't get out
So the console with save the save data that you dumped it from is stuck with the error code 2002-1002. You tried restoring your NAND backup but its still stuck with that error code? And then you preceded to restore a BOOT0/1 dump that was made before you restored your backup?

dt90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
OEM mean original equipment manufacturer, was curious if they replaced it with OEM fan or third party, it make no sense for them to replace the fan unless it wasn't working.
unfortunately the fan occasionally made strange noises, because over time the shield that contains it had deformed a bit

it's an old switch, a V1, which i purchase used and then i put the software cfw on it. Since it was old, in addition to the problematic fan, i had the battery changed and put new thermal paste

Thrumptus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So the console with save the save data that you dumped it from is stuck with the error code 2002-1002. You tried restoring your NAND backup but its still stuck with that error code? And then you preceded to restore a BOOT0/1 dump that was made before you restored your backup?
I entered a save transfer with 2 HOS consoles, one of which I implanted a save in from an emunand on the same console, every time I boot the consoles they find each other, then the one I implanted the save in throws error 2002-1002 and powers off, the other one just times out, I made a nand backup, factory reset and tried to re enter a save transfer but it was detected as a different console and refused the connection, I then made another nand backup, including boot 0/1, restored my original partitions, realised I forgot to backup my boot 0/1, restored them from my original nand backup from firmware 15.0.0, which made it unbootable, I then restored them from the nand backup I made of the factory reset console and it booted back into the save transfer as usual

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've just been playing with ns-usbloader and, having written a new udev/rule in accordance with the recommendation within the programme, it works!

View attachment 358647

This rule may well enable the previous two methods I tried to work too.

You can find ns-usbloader at https://github.com/developersu/ns-usbloader/releases/tag/v7.0
The ns-usbloader-7.0.jar version worked for me.

So my Switch is now booted into hekate! I'll be back when I'm struggling again, won't be long at this rate...
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Neither did the other two methods. My linux is cursed ! :angry:(Ubuntu here, Mint's bro) Well, anyway, I'll survive with my dongles, I suppose. It's just that I hate it when something that should work, doesn't!

Reactions: Lazlo_Woodbine

Lazlo_Woodbine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The link I sent has an attachment in the first post with the latest patches. No need to run anything to get them. Just download and unzip.

View attachment 358687
Ah bugger, I missed that bit.

When I got the yellow screen yesterday I'd got to stage 5 here;
Screenshot at 2023-03-13 17-35-53.png

So today I've downloaded the files you helpfully highlighted, unzipped them and copied them onto the SD card selecting 'merge' when asked. However I'm still getting a yellow screen when launching from hekate into CFW -sysmmc, CFW - emummc or stock - sysmmc.
I think I've got carried away and cocked up. Could you help me figure out where please?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I entered a save transfer with 2 HOS consoles, one of which I implanted a save in from an emunand on the same console, every time I boot the consoles they find each other, then the one I implanted the save in throws error 2002-1002 and powers off, the other one just times out, I made a nand backup, factory reset and tried to re enter a save transfer but it was detected as a different console and refused the connection, I then made another nand backup, including boot 0/1, restored my original partitions, realised I forgot to backup my boot 0/1, restored them from my original nand backup from firmware 15.0.0, which made it unbootable, I then restored them from the nand backup I made of the factory reset console and it booted back into the save transfer as usual
I don't understand. Is the problem that you cannot get the save transfer to work or that the console is stuck with the error code 2002-1002?

Lazlo_Woodbine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Neither did the other two methods. My linux is cursed ! :angry:(Ubuntu here, Mint's bro) Well, anyway, I'll survive with my dongles, I suppose. It's just that I hate it when something that should work, doesn't!
Ah that's a shame.

I'm not sure why I use Linux sometimes. I didn't think I was a masochist but here we are...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/d7mkQP8