Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh that's good to know, thank you for chiming in! :D

However, one last question: can i keep my system updated (in order to play smash ultimate online, i'm currently on 6.2) without burning my fuses?
Odds are that my switch model isn't a "first generation switch", so i guess there's nothing i can do, however if there was a way to upgrade while keeping the possibility to downgrade it would be great. ^.^

So long as you have AutoRCM set up (and don't accidentally overwrite it), then fuses won't be burned, because the RCM payloads all bypass fuse checks, and AutoRCM prevents you from booting any other way. You can then update using ChoiDujour or ChoiDujourNX, which will automatically apply AutoRCM, or use Atmosphere 0.8.1, which will prevent the normal system update functionality from overwriting AutoRCM.

Animetic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to install atmosphere on my 6.2.0 switch, but I keep getting an error when booting.

Fatal error: [NXBOOT]: Key derivation failed!

EDIT: I solved it. I just reinstalled atmosphere and it seemed to work. :blink:

Last edited by Animetic,

iv2b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So long as you have AutoRCM set up (and don't accidentally overwrite it), then fuses won't be burned, because the RCM payloads all bypass fuse checks, and AutoRCM prevents you from booting any other way. You can then update using ChoiDujour or ChoiDujourNX, which will automatically apply AutoRCM, or use Atmosphere 0.8.1, which will prevent the normal system update functionality from overwriting AutoRCM.

Given that i got my switch in a new bundle during black friday i doubt i have a version that is compatible with the current hacks...
...But if that wasn't the case then it would actually be possible to update to newer versions while playing online without burning fuses and without any chance of being banned for it (assuming i don't screw up)?
If so, do you have a tutorial/guide for that purpose? I may give it a try. :3

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that i got my switch in a new bundle during black friday i doubt i have a version that is compatible with the current hacks...
...But if that wasn't the case then it would actually be possible to update to newer versions while playing online without burning fuses and without any chance of being banned for it (assuming i don't screw up)?
If so, do you have a tutorial/guide for that purpose? I may give it a try. :3

Not "without any chance of being banned". I'm not sure whether anyone knows definitively whether Nintendo does or does not collect burned fuse information. If they do, then they can trivially compare it against the reported system version, and detect the discrepancy. This is why Drax said there's an inherent risk involved.

The Atmosphere method is new, so no guide, but the ChoiDuJour method is described in the sdsetup guide (under 'manually updating/downgrading')

Reactions: iv2b

iv2b

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not "without any chance of being banned". I'm not sure whether anyone knows definitively whether Nintendo does or does not collect burned fuse information. If they do, then they can trivially compare it against the reported system version, and detect the discrepancy. This is why Drax said there's an inherent risk involved.

The Atmosphere method is new, so no guide, but the ChoiDuJour method is described in the sdsetup guide (under 'manually updating/downgrading')

Thank you, i'll check it out.
For now i'll probably wait as more information is gathered. I'll opt for a "zero risks" approach. :)

Last edited by iv2b,

Ryan1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey can someone explain me what fuses kind of do.
Of course I did some research of my own and this is what I am making from it.

Depending on what OFW you are you need a specific number fuses on your switch when you are booting.
When the fuses that you need for a specific OFW they will burn when you are booting??
So how I right know am seeing it is that fuses are only burning when someone has downgraded their switch.
And when there are no more fuses left your switch will be unable to boot at all??

However fuses will only burn whenever your switch is downgraded because it will not corresponds to the OFW that the switch had before (at least that is what I am understanding from it).
But how does it work with updating your OFW will that burn any fuses that may be a problem with booting up your switch in the future ect.??

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey can someone explain me what fuses kind of do.
Of course I did some research of my own and this is what I am making from it.

Depending on what OFW you are you need a specific number fuses on your switch when you are booting.
When the fuses that you need for a specific OFW they will burn when you are booting??
So how I right know am seeing it is that fuses are only burning when someone has downgraded their switch.
And when there are no more fuses left your switch will be unable to boot at all??

However fuses will only burn whenever your switch is downgraded because it will not corresponds to the OFW that the switch had before (at least that is what I am understanding from it).
But how does it work with updating your OFW will that burn any fuses that may be a problem with booting up your switch in the future ect.??

The switch has X number of fuses. Each firmware expects a different number of fuses to be burned. If a Firmware requires N fuses, then if you have more than N fuses burned, it refuses to boot. If you have less than N fuses burned, it burns whichever unburned fuses it expects to be burned, such that now you have N fuses burned. If you have N fuses burned, nothing different happens. It has nothing to do with downgrading; If an unhacked switch upgrades normally, it'll burn fuses.

Ryan1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The switch has X number of fuses. Each firmware expects a different number of fuses to be burned. If a Firmware requires N fuses, then if you have more than N fuses burned, it refuses to boot. If you have less than N fuses burned, it burns whichever unburned fuses it expects to be burned, such that now you have N fuses burned. If you have N fuses burned, nothing different happens. It has nothing to do with downgrading; If an unhacked switch upgrades normally, it'll burn fuses.

Oke thnx i understand it a little bit better now.
But how can people get more fuses burned than normally which will result in your switch not booting anymore??

Dark_Entrophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When it comes to dumping games, any CFW will do.

Ah, okay, thanks :)
I thought Atmosphere was designed to not allow backups, only homebrew, so it wouldn't be 'enabling piracy', but I take it that functionality just isn't built into it directly, but homebrew like Tinfoil enables it. Apologies if I'm mixing things up.

darkriku2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I saw this atmosphere update and I have another switch 6.2 that's never been CFW'd so I have a few questions I'd be super happy if y'all could help with.
  • I already installed sx os on a 4.1 switch, is the process the same for atmosphere just with a different boot.dat file?
  • I want to sell the 6.2 switch to a friend, is there some guide to transfer all my saves and stuff to my 4.1 console (I already ripped a bunch of my games to xci on it so I don't want to update)
  • If a console gets banned can I unban myself by restoring the sysnand from a backup? On that same topic, if sx and choidujournx add 6.2 support in the next few days should I restore my sysnand (already updated to 5.1 on it via choidujournx to enable exfat so I'd need to restore back to a clean out of box 4.1 right?) and create an emunand before updating, and would doing that help keep my system from getting banned?
  • Finally, what can I *not* do when my console is banned, I know no online play (meh) and no access to the store (being able to rip my physical games makes buying digital pointless anyway), but are there any other major online features I'd be losing? Silly as it sounds I don't want to lose access to things like the go park in pokemon. Or even if I'm not banned, what can't I do on a 5.1 switch that I can on a 6.2?
Sorry for asking so much, I appreciate all your help

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can i do a nand backup with atmosphere 0.8.1 since hekate doesn't support 6.2.0?
Hekate does support 6.2, its just that Hekate cannot launch any CFW or OFW on 6.2.
Ah, okay, thanks :)
I thought Atmosphere was designed to not allow backups, only homebrew, so it wouldn't be 'enabling piracy', but I take it that functionality just isn't built into it directly, but homebrew like Tinfoil enables it. Apologies if I'm mixing things up.
Tinfoil doesn't enable it either. Tinfoil just installs .NSP files but if you don't legally own them, they still won't work. You need additional patches to allow games you don't own to be installed and launch properly which you can find here.
So I saw this atmosphere update and I have another switch 6.2 that's never been CFW'd so I have a few questions I'd be super happy if y'all could help with.
  • I already installed sx os on a 4.1 switch, is the process the same for atmosphere just with a different boot.dat file?
  • I want to sell the 6.2 switch to a friend, is there some guide to transfer all my saves and stuff to my 4.1 console (I already ripped a bunch of my games to xci on it so I don't want to update)
  • If a console gets banned can I unban myself by restoring the sysnand from a backup? On that same topic, if sx and choidujournx add 6.2 support in the next few days should I restore my sysnand (already updated to 5.1 on it via choidujournx to enable exfat so I'd need to restore back to a clean out of box 4.1 right?) and create an emunand before updating, and would doing that help keep my system from getting banned?
  • Finally, what can I *not* do when my console is banned, I know no online play (meh) and no access to the store (being able to rip my physical games makes buying digital pointless anyway), but are there any other major online features I'd be losing? Silly as it sounds I don't want to lose access to things like the go park in pokemon. Or even if I'm not banned, what can't I do on a 5.1 switch that I can on a 6.2?
Sorry for asking so much, I appreciate all your help
  1. Atmosphere doesn't use a "boot.dat" file however all of the files you need to put on your SD card can be downloaded from their GitHub page
  2. Use any homebrew save manager such as EdiZon or Checkpoint
  3. There is and will likely never be a way to unban Nintendo Switch consoles. And if you want to avoid being banned, always restore a clean hack-free NAND before going online
  4. It depends on your ban. Normal/soft bans prevent eShop access, online play, and game updates. Super/CDN bans limit all of the above as well as system updates.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What emulators can run on a hacked switch so far?

As in running an emulator in the switch hardware to play non switch games, not what emulators can play Switch games.

Last edited by raxadian,

Xana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oke thnx i understand it a little bit better now.
But how can people get more fuses burned than normally which will result in your switch not booting anymore??

By either restoring a NAND backup that contains a lower firmware than the current burned fuse count allows, or by using homebrew to install a lower firmware onto the system (like ChoiDuJourNX)

zer01717

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to make a NAND backup on 6.2? Is there a guide that anyone would recommend? I haven't done anything to my switch yet and I would like to make a clean backup. Thank you in advance.

*edit Woohoo! 100 messages in 12 years! I'm a regular!

Last edited by zer01717,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to make a NAND backup on 6.2? Is there a guide that anyone would recommend? I haven't done anything to my switch yet and I would like to make a clean backup. Thank you in advance.

*edit Woohoo! 100 messages in 12 years! I'm a regular!
You can use Hekate to dump the NAND.

Reactions: zer01717

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging