Hardware Switch oled alternate C point (destructive)

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not sure if anyone would want to try it but might be worth seeing how hard it is if you have a dead oled board laying around. Using the images from this website: http://balika011.hu/switch/oled/ I traced the c point and there should be an area it can be reached without needing to reflow the emmc, the bad news is it required digging down though some ground layers in the board, I think they could probably be cut out with a scalpel or using a grinding pen. The green point is where the pad is for the c point is and the red is an area that can be cut out

oled1.jpg

oled2.jpg

oled3.jpg

oled4.jpg

Last edited by Shadow_The_Hedgehog82,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the thought process here. I’ve “accidentally” cut through a multi-layer Switch PCB (not an OLED) and it’s really hard not to ground things out once you start disturbing the layers. I might try a random pad on my blown V1 board and see if I can pull it off. Will be interested in hearing if someone can cleanly pull this off on a real OLED.

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the thought process here. I’ve “accidentally” cut through a multi-layer Switch PCB (not an OLED) and it’s really hard not to ground things out once you start disturbing the layers. I might try a random pad on my blown V1 board and see if I can pull it off. Will be interested in hearing if someone can cleanly pull this off on a real OLED.
I suppose the trick would be to remove a larger section of the ground plane, cover the whole area in conformal coating, then scratch off the coating for the pads you wanted.

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I suppose the trick would be to remove a larger section of the ground plane, cover the whole area in conformal coating, then scratch off the coating for the pads you wanted.

I think if you scored around the edge for the section to cut out and then peeled it up with tweezers you could get a clean section removed without risking any bridging between the layers, the two layers to remove are both ground also so if they touch it shouldn't matter much

I messed up my A point so have ordered one of these, If i fail at getting my oled working again i will test out the cutting, actually i may have to do the cut anyway as I think i ripped up the pad so it might not be connected to the cpu anymore if i broke more than the top layer
1671125217628.png

Last edited by Shadow_The_Hedgehog82,
Reactions: binkinator

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im curious to know if anyone is using this as a standard install method. Anyone wanna share their experience with it?

Jarbin01

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Im curious to know if anyone is using this as a standard install method. Anyone wanna share their experience with it?
I do it in my switch oled zelda edition and is easy. Only need patience and time (30 minutes). I do the process slow and all woked perfect. This point is more stable for picofly.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense for him, he's doing lots of these and now doesn't have to remove the main board. Not sure it benefits hobbyists or people doing installs for themselves.

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Makes sense for him, he's doing lots of these and now doesn't have to remove the main board. Not sure it benefits hobbyists or people doing installs for themselves.
Well those slide in emmc pcb adapters suck, only work well if you reflow them, id still be scared to do this though lol i dont have a microscope

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well those slide in emmc pcb adapters suck, only work well if you reflow them, id still be scared to do this though lol i dont have a microscope
I know I'm a sample size of one but my OLED is still working two years later with a corner adapter and no reflow. I'm sure this method results in fewer issues for those selling modded consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    How can you tell, do you see rain drops on top of other rain drops?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can tell by whenever your wife done letting out loud ass moans then I get her a ticket back home
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah most places demand clothes and shoes, unless it's some really back water place that I am unaware of lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cool, I got lunch money for tomorrow then.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @K3Nv2 call uremum Sloppenheimer the way she givin me this bomb head
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I call uremum alzheimer she forgets to leave
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Time to start a vape straight nicotine challenge, Darwin be praised!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine if Hitler had vapes, we promise it's not cyanide it'll help you quit nicotine
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please, walk into my patented vape chamber, aka the non smoking area
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I do wonder how dominate Germany would've been if they just enlisted Jewish people
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around, I have a gyno apt tomorrow. " Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying