Taboola ads? Are you serious?

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Who in their right mind has decided that Taboola is the right ad provider for this website? Their ads are entirely based on deceitful clickbait and I only ever see these on bottom of the barrel news websites. One of the deceitful tactics is tracking your location and slapping them in these idiotic clickbait headlines. The site was doing fine enough with google ads. Sheesh.
Post automatically merged:

Trying these pathetic stunts on the community isn't gonna get you more Patreon subscribers, it's gonna give you more deleted accounts and lesser sign-up rates. Why would someone want to be on a forum with scammy clickbait?

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll get right on it... Gbatemp afterdark sistersite here we go
Yass!
yes-baby.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback. Just to let you know we don't take decisions like this lightly but we have seen an incredible 70-80% drop in performance from our regular ads so unfortunately this was a necessary addition to avoid closing the site.

However the taboola integration is currently in review and may not be permanent. If it is a deal breaker for you then I apologise and would suggest an alternate DNS provider or an adblocker add-on for your browser. Or maybe take a look at our GBAtemp account upgrades.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the feedback. Just to let you know we don't take decisions like this lightly but we have seen an incredible 70-80% drop in performance from our regular ads so unfortunately this was a necessary addition to avoid closing the site.

However the taboola integration is currently in review and may not be permanent. If it is a deal breaker for you then I apologise and would suggest an alternate DNS provider or an adblocker add-on for your browser. Or maybe take a look at our GBAtemp account upgrades.

I get a "you use ad blocker, turn it off" message every click I do on the temp now ....

1680672015696.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After thinking weeks about this, I finally decided to reply here.

I get a "you use ad blocker, turn it off" message every click I do on the temp now ....
Not good. Could start a downward spiral.

like this lightly but we have seen an incredible 70-80% drop in performance
That doesn't sound good at all – to put it mildly.
Sometimes I get the feeling online advertising might have peaked and might become an unstable way of funding things.

Someone still doesn't seem to know how the ads on the internet work. But you do you.
Is this the kind of "Ads are based on your browsing history so it is your fault when you see bad things."-reply?
While this is partially true, this does however, not decide if the underlying ad networks serves "normal", "sketchy/questionable" or "outright scam" ads. Taboola surly is lower tier stuff (didn't see any of that… gone already?)

Well. I pushed myself (crying in agony), disabled Pi-Hole and created a brand new browser profile without condom browser extensions. No search history. No cookies. Nothing for "personalized experience".

This is what I got after clicking into the 3DS forum:
A Lottery and "Get rich by AI-Trading"
ads.jpg ads2.jpg

It was able to determine I'm in Germany – somewhat. Other ads I got served were in Finnish language.
At least the "Get rich – millionaire trading trick" stuff is what I would file under spam (or worse). Didn't find any report button or similar. The flag(?) symbol on the upper right corner did nothing.

================

Not really sure if my reply here is a fully good idea (the screenshots should probably have gone into the sticky thread about ads).

Again my personal opinion: Anybody regularly using this site being able to afford it, should consider paying a bit. Surely a better way to support GBAtemp than by hoping allowing ads on your computer will create enough revenue.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Someone still doesn't seem to know how the ads on the internet work. But you do you.
I just wish websites, forums, etc would just pay their own server costs, like any other monthly/annual bills you have. Then we wouldn't need to rely on ads at all. Relying on ad revenue to pay your server costs isn't a good model at all. Otherwise everyone should just start showing ads all over their home's exterior to pay their electric bills, ads on their cars to pay for their car loans, etc... You see how ridiculous this can get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii