Tell you about me

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I have iPhone. No, I don't know anyone by that name. Yes, I was originally from RI but moved to FLA three years ago. We need to talk in PM. It is getting off the topic a little bit, lol.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ex boyfriend whom I almost started a family with was severely hearing impaired, but he never learned sign language. He was a foreigner but fluent enough in written English, so we became acquainted back in 1997 by chatting.
Anyway..

I understand that you sometimes have difficulty with communicating. My mother's not a native English speaker and though she's been naturalized and living in the US for 30 years, she still suffers discrimination and harassment for being a poor typist and having poor grammar. It's not because she's stupid, it's because she doesn't think in English and almost everyone around her does. So people underestimate her a lot because she's a little old lady with an accent. It's very frustrating and I know you must go through equally frustrating situations, because I have seen the way you've talked to people here on the 'temp sometimes.

It sucks to be treated poorly because of communication skills, there are people I wanted to punch in the face for mistreating my mother, they have no idea what she went through to put herself through college in the 70's and legally immigrate here, and sometimes they have no idea how smart she is because her *writing skills* are lacking. It's not from lack of education, it's not from lack of speaking English because she's been doing that since before I was born. She has a great vocabulary and that comes up in speaking to her all the time, but she can't shake the accent, and she notoriously doesn't punctuate or turn off her caps lock on Facebook. It's kind of hard to read sometimes, even for me.

My advice for you, for the reasons you've created this thread (so that people will have a better understanding of you and hopefully treat you with more respect), is to learn to redirect your anger and frustration instead of being so defensive and combative in your posts. I see posts where you look for help and are never ever satisfied with what you're told, and that is not helping anyone's patience. People don't start out pissed off at you in these threads, they just wind up frustrated and sometimes even think you're trolling because you seem to argue so much with people who were really trying to be helpful to you.

When I first encountered you on the forum I just figured you were a foreigner and that was why your grammar was so abrupt. I don't have a problem with that, and there are plenty of foreigners who struggle harder or simply have to resort to an online translator to use GBAtemp. I just think that you should consider to take things less personally on forums first of all, I think a lot of the bitter conversations could have easily been avoided if you'd just taken some time before "typing while angry".

Reactions: 5 people

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I found this post because of the Zelda SS problem of Brad.
Well, maybe I am a bit off track but or there was some problems back then when Brad has gone to school (it's been a while already) or there is some other problem apart deaf. I can't think of a problem with somebody that is deaf (apart maybe lazyness or the impossibility to learn because of the absence of books) and learning grammar (or written language in general) especially if not fully deaf.
Anyway, we can accept you and your problem in this forum but maybe you should think of using some more practical way to communicate.
Example after your 2nd/3rd post about Zelda, I had recorded a little video where we see your Wiimote and your tv with the problem you have.
That would have been more clear, easy and fast for everybody to understand and you probably already had your solution in your hands.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Next one, between hear-aid and CI (I don't know to spell what CI stand for, but I am sure some of you know what CI stand for.) I have 2 hear-aid with me. But I am using one hear-aid in my right ear, because it hear better than my left ear (surgery to cause it ((long story, want to know, ask me.)) ) Hear-aid didn't mean can hear anything. CI does. Why? CI is same ability as hearing people's ear.
I'm guessing CI stands for a cochlear implant (bionic ear)?

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been following this thread and i have to commend you, bradzx. I still see people making fun of your grammar in other threads. I suggest placing a line in your sig that says you are deaf and have trouble with grammar. This could clear up confusion in the future, just a suggestion though.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been following this thread and i have to commend you, bradzx. I still see people making fun of your grammar in other threads. I suggest placing a line in your sig that says you are deaf and have trouble with grammar. This could clear up confusion in the future, just a suggestion though.

I don't think he even needs to mention he is deaf. In my eyes, it's completely irrelevant to his grammar (not saying I don't see the link. I do understand that spoken English and ASL may have very different structures. But the poor grammar in written English is not (correct me if I am wrong) because he is deaf, but instead because written English is not his primary language, which is ASL.Unless he wants everyone to actively know (which is completely okay), the subject is neither here nor there.)

If anything, I think simply placing something along the lines of "My grammar is not the best. If you need me to clarify, just ask." would get the point across just fine.

Brad, interesting to hear everything that you go through like this. I do apologize for how I came off and called you a troll in the thread where you were having a hard time with your internet. That was uncalled for on my part.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
really? people make fun of grammar here at gbatemp?
I mean, my english is uther shit.... been here for almost 2 years and I never found someone making fun of it (at least... I didn’t note it :P )

@bradzx
if you want to improve your grammar skills I can recommend you to play a lot of heavily text JRPGs.
I’m from Argentina, and I have been playing JRPGs since 8, I never took any English lessons...
sure, my english is really bad... but at least I can understand almost everything and communicate with people here. :)

it's much easier to learn doing something that you like (asuming that you like videogames :lol:)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think it's great that you know different sign language.
You seems more fluent in ASL (you do sign quicker), but I think ASL is harder to understand if you don't talk at the same time.
There's a lot less sign than ESL. That might be harder for people who can't talk to use ASL.

ESL is then maybe harder to learn and use as you need to memorize more signs.

Tell me if I'm wrong. It was just something I noticed from the video.

Someone told me it took her two years to learn French sign Language to communicate with her deaf/aphone family member.
(which is the correct word for someone who can't talk?)
I always been interesting to learn it, but never motivated enough (I don't need it).

bradzx

x-Darkie-x
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's great that you know different sign language.
You seems more fluent in ASL (you do sign quicker), but I think ASL is harder to understand if you don't talk at the same time.
There's a lot less sign than ESL. That might be harder for people who can't talk to use ASL.

ESL is then maybe harder to learn and use as you need to memorize more signs.

Tell me if I'm wrong. It was just something I noticed from the video.

Someone told me it took her two years to learn French Language sign to communicate with her deaf/aphone family member.
(which is the correct word for someone who can't talk?)
I always been interesting to learn it, but never motivated enough (I don't need it).
Well only 2 sign languages that I know. But I never learn other kind of sign language. Also some deaf people use home sign language meaning didn't learn anything about sign language. Only small thing to sign like gesture. It true for ASL hard to understand if they don't know. Most deaf people have different sign language. Not same as mine that I have. No you are not wrong. It different. Wow....that is pretty long to learn. But only interpreter can do that between USA and other language for SL.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the informations.
I never thought about using personal/home Sign language, but it make sense.
I guess there's some signs that people invent and only the family and friend understand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/j3OhV1och50?si=7RFGXMYCwKgKIZ5G the drake and Kendrick love story continues