The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is software developed by humans, it'll be cracked and reverse engineered. Patches for games will be made and life will continue like this never happened.

Reactions: Kopimist

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If it is software developed by humans, it'll be cracked and reverse engineered. Patches for games will be made and life will continue like this never happened.
Except people who don't have CFW and Homebrew will likely have a much worse experience with these games due to poor performance and Online Activation.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If any of you angry birds really cared about this subject, you would refuse to purchase games that have Denovo (or similar) in them. But you guys just can't help yourself. And as long as that is the case, devs will try to protect their livelihoods. Good to see that it won't cover first-party titles since Nintendo releases are the only ones I even bother playing on Yuzu.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except people who don't have CFW and Homebrew will likely have a much worse experience with these games due to poor performance and Online Activation.
Then Nintendo will lose market share and their stock will tank. The shareholders will get angry and Nintendo will release a new console with no Denovo.

• Haha
Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ever since I dropped the Switch and Nintendo overall 2 years ago I have been a much happier gamer. Looks like that decision will only get better with time.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMCS

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Except the other guy literally claims that people that pirate wouldn't buy the game anyway. Well I would have had I not been able to pirate. So the claims not true.

I'll repeat what I said, and I'll also rephrase my original reply:

Just because you're one of the "wallet-first" pirates (that is, pirates if possible, otherwise falls back to just giving up and paying for it anyway), that doesn't mean that my entire reply is completely invalid.
As I said, "wallet-first" pirates are in such a minority, that I decided to not mention them.

There are "piracy always" pirates who would rather wait years for a game to be cracked than to shill out a single penny, ever. Because of this behavior, they shall not be counted as a lost sale, as they never had any intention to remove a single penny from their wallet.

There are also "buy unless very inconvenient" pirates, who end up always paying for the game sooner or later, unless they feel like they are majorly screwed over, and decide to not support such endeavour. Harsh DRM is one such example (see how Spore's DRM ended up extremely backfiring). They also sometimes tend to wait for others to risk their money (or for their pirate friends to acquire the game) to leave feedback about the game before deciding to buy it.

Not mentioned in my original reply, but at this point might as well add:

There are "pirate first, buy later" pirates, who are basically like the ones above, except they end up holding off on paying for somewhat longer. They also just test the games themselves, and decide whether it's worth their money to buy the game, instead of waiting for others to tell them. They are tiny bit in smaller numbers than the other two categories above.

There are "wallet-first" pirates who try to pirate the game if possible, but value their time enough to give up after some time, and just pay for the damn game if piracy is too difficult and/or time-intensive. GabeN's vision is to transition as much of this category as possible to storefronts which make paying for the game more convenient than piracy. They should be somewhat smaller than the above category, yet statistically still significant. Should not be more than ~10-12% of game sales at worst, but usually slightly more than 1% of sales.

There is also an odd category of piracy, which is "platform bending" (I forgot the original word used by the mp3 piracy lawsuit), which is where you have already bought the product (it doesn't have to be a game, it can also be music), and since you already have a legal copy of the product, but not in the way you might need, you transform the product to your own needs (for personal use only, never leaving your possession, and not making copies for others!). The problem usually is that you have a product in a way which is protected by such DRM that makes you unable to acquire a DRM-free copy (for example, media encrypted with unknown key, and/or Switch gamecart ASIC undumpable with unhackable Switch), so you're forced to unlawfully acquire a DRM-free copy which you can transform to fit your needs (for example, copy the music file to your DAP (Digital Audio Player), or play a Switch ROM in an emulator, which can do better visual fidelity, probably better performance, and controller support which the original console does not support).
I have statistically unsignificant data about this category, so I can't give numbers. This is a category of piracy which (I think) should be legalized, as it's completely moral (as long as you're not hurting sales, not making illegal copies for others to feed on, etc.), and it just makes the product adapt to your own needs. In fact, the best solution would be for this piracy group to not have to exist at all, as in an ideal world you could freely adapt the product to your own needs as long as it doesn't get rid of a potential sale.

Edit:
Oops, forgot the "piracy out of necessity" category.
As the name implies, it's piracy which is caused by the lack of legal ways to acquire a medium. For example games not sold anymore, games crippled by online DRM, lack (or inaccessibility) of depending hardware (like compatible CD-ROM drives, aging consoles not manufactured anymore which did not get a 1:1 chip clone, etc.), or even just simple region locks, or the only online storefronts not working properly. There is not much more to be said. I can't find the meme, but "no play, only remember" is what companies want, but we game enjoyers want to experience the art many people have sinked big chunks of their life and energy into, and not have it go to waste due to stupid reasons.

As for my statistics data, I don't remember anymore where it starts, but most of the data goes up to around 2017-2018, with a few data entries of new game sales up until 2021. The statistics are most prelevant for AAA titles, although there might have been some very successful indie titles mixed in as well.
I would link my sources if I wasn't a big enough idiot to actually save them.

Last edited by Sono,

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The thing I don't understand is what they try to accomplish.
If they manage to defeat piracy...great...but does they really think that they will make more money?
Pirates are Pirates and will never buy games.
Other People like me who are using a hacked Console to find new and interesting Games and are willing to buy they if they are good wouldn't have the possibility to try new games before buying them because all the companies are cheapskates who doesn't even upload a Demo to try the game that's why piracy is a good thing.

The first Game I installed on my hacked PSVITA was Rogue Legacy, I never heard of it before that Day and after I played it I loved it and bought it for the Switch from Limited Run Games.

I learned my Lesson when I bought some Games back in the Days and they sucked and I couldn't return it.

When I was 15 I bought need for Speed Underground 2 for the DS, I was dreaming about playing the awesome PC Game on the Go, when I was home I was so disappointed what a junk this DS Game was. I tried to return it but the refused to take it back.

I bought several Games in my life where I was disappointed and never played it again after the first couple of Minutes.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Other People like me who are using a hacked Console to find new and interesting Games and are willing to buy they if they are good wouldn't have the possibility to try new games before buying them because all the companies are cheapskates who doesn't even upload a Demo to try the game that's why piracy is a good thing.

The first Game I installed on my hacked PSVITA was Rogue Legacy, I never heard of it before that Day and after I played it I loved it and bought it for the Switch from Limited Run Games.

I learned my Lesson when I bought some Games back in the Days and they sucked and I couldn't return it.

When I was 15 I bought need for Speed Underground 2 for the DS, I was dreaming about playing the awesome PC Game on the Go, when I was home I was so disappointed what a junk this DS Game was. I tried to return it but the refused

Good point on the demos.

Although the problem with demos is that
1) they can be extremely rigged to convince you that the game is worth it when it's not
2) sometimes it's simply impossible to do without spoiling the full game due to the game's type (Last of us, or Stanley Parable are such games)
3) they take up extra disk space, sometimes easily hackable into a full copy, and need extra effort from the dev team, which could hinder the full game's progress (although this is where most people would say "git gud", and rightfully so, although in today's gamedev climate we really need to cut the poor devs a serious amount of slack)

genxor

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder how much money they suckered out of Nintendo. I can't wait to see it backfire on them with performance issues then see it get cracked anyway.

As always the customer loses.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I bought several Games in my life where I was disappointed and never played it again after the first couple of Minutes.
I can relate. I remember buying at a premium price the game "The Terminator" for Sega Genesis way back when. It had received raved reviews from magazines like EGM, so I thought it's a no-brainer. The game was good, but so damn short ! It could be completed in half an hour. I was feeling robbed. That's why i don't feel any shame pirating nowadays. They screwed with me back then, I'm screwing with them now. (I know it's not the same people, but it's the general idea).

Reactions: Henx

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll never buy a game with Denuvo. I actually wanted to buy Sonic Mania on PC, but noped out when I seen it had Denuvo. I got it on Switch instead. Which actually was for the better, because it was cheaper on Switch, due to Walmart knocking 10 dollars off, and it was the physical copy.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The thing I don't understand is what they try to accomplish.
If they manage to defeat piracy...great...but does they really think that they will make more money?
Pirates are Pirates and will never buy games.
It can be all from board members asking for better security to Denuvo presenting an enticing offer. Look at Xenoblade 3. So many people come here and ask why cheats doesn't work in emulator XYZ. How many of them do you actually think owns the game?

So Nintendo might feel forced to try to halt the emulation thanks to news like that. The Switch isn't no way shape or form being replaced in this year or probably the next and already having emulators biting in to sales, will cause a reaction.

Reactions: godreborn

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's cute

Unfortunately for you, I'm running Atmosphere.

Jokes aside, wouldn't put Denuvo on Switch games kill their performance? Unless they're 2D the 3D ones already struggle by themselves. How are they going to deal with that?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's cute

Unfortunately for you, I'm running Atmosphere.

Jokes aside, wouldn't put Denuvo on Switch games kill their performance? Unless they're 2D the 3D ones already struggle by themselves. How are they going to deal with that?
We don't know how Denuvo will work on the Switch. It's a whole different beast compared to the PC. I personally are pessimistic when I see the name "Denuvo" since I feel it's more punishing against customers than the protection it gives.

Reactions: nxwing

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We don't know how Denuvo will work on the Switch. It's a whole different beast compared to the PC. I personally are pessimistic when I see the name "Denuvo" since I feel it's more punishing against customers than the protection it gives.

Legit curious to see it in action at this point.

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yepp! For all we know it might detect Atmosphere even. We all can just wait and see. For all we know, it might never be a game with Denuvo on the Switch
If it can detect Atmo I'll give them two, three days max before they can publish a somewhat CFW spoof like most consoles whom run CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740