The company behind Denuvo launches its "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection", claims to "solve" Switch piracy

1661351599_Nintendo-Switch-Denuvo-arrives-announced-an-anti-emulation-protection-system.jpg

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

As with all other Denuvo solutions, the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience. It then allows for the insertion of checks into the code, which blocks gameplay on emulators.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I mean this will surely point at flaws in the current emulation, which will make it more accurate to console. So I think we should thank them for pointing out the flaws in emulation, too bad they don't just fix them but need to abuse them first, but eh, it won't be effective for long (more than a couple of weeks) so w/e.

• Love
Reactions: Girtana1

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Because it's a fact that Denuvo impacts PC game performance. That's why cracked games that had Denuvo or have patches to reduce the amount of syscalls it does end up running faster than with it enabled. If the most popular sites for "Switch piracy" as they call it, we should have 1 million members.

You're essentially asking me to prove a negative. I can't prove that the 80 or 90% of developers claiming they're afraid of console game piracy and wanting DRM is accurate because they haven't proven it themselves.
Whether it's a fact that denuvo impacts PC game performance is irrelevant, you said they lied in the press release for the switch version of denuvo. It is not a fact yet whether the switch version affects switch game performance, because denuvo is a brand name and the code could be 100% different and use entirely different technology.

I don't know if gbatemp is the most popular site for switch hacking, but that is irrelevant as they are talking about emulators. gbatemp is not the most popular site for emulators. So you can't use the member count to prove anything.

I only asked you to prove claims you made, which you've failed to do for the reasons that I have stated.
You would have to perform the same type of research as they did, to dispute the claim that 84% are concerned.

Certainly you'd have to do some research to back up your claim that no developers are concerned and that denuvo has only been produced to scare them into using it.

And before anyone says that a pirated game on an emulator is not a lost sale anyway. The developers/publishers might be rather pissed at.

https://www.patreon.com/yuzuteam

5,291​

PATRONS

£18,095​

PER MONTH

I think WE should all be pissed about that

Last edited by smf,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean this will surely point at flaws in the current emulation, which will make it more accurate to console. So I think we should thank them for pointing out the flaws in emulation, too bad they don't just fix them but need to abuse them first, but eh, it won't be effective for long (more than a couple of weeks) so w/e.
Well, we don't actually know. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they aren't just idiots. I don't think it would be entirely trivial to just use it as a test case for an emulator. Because as you say, emulator devs could fix it on the first day. That would be an actual waste of time for denuvo, they won't make any money on it.

What would be hilarious is if it didn't affect switch performance, but it required emulating at such a low level that it impacted emulator performance.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
did you ever read those tags? you the owner/consumer can remove them. terrible analogy.

I thought it was a common (mis)understanding that people weren't allowed to remove their mattress tags because of the wording on the tag. Not sure what the coded law says.

Whether it's a fact that denuvo impacts PC game performance is irrelevant

Nah. The lying liar tells lies. A process doing a syscheck is a process not doing something more efficient, like idling.

Last edited by tabzer,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
A couple Youtube videos of Steam Deck emulating Switch and suddenly Nintendo thinks Switch piracy is "rampant." Hilarious. Also a total waste of money on the tail end of Switch's lifespan, and a performance hit on already-limited hardware.
they got money to waste though

Reactions: Xzi
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PATRONS

£18,095​

PER MONTH

I would agree with you if the emulator was, like, behind a paywall or something. But it's free to download and use...
That's more of a "If you'd like, support us, thank you"
Nobody's forcing ya to pay for the emu or anything.
Oh, after reading a few of your posts, I see you're also a law-bootlicker asshole, great. You're unwelcomed in my world.
Off into the ignore pit you go.

as more of a modder / tinker and less of a full blown pirate. I think this is great news. No offense to the kids with modded switches with no jobs
Enjoy your underperforming and "not working offline" games then, asshole. Would rather be friends with someone that has no job but isn't a shithead like you.
Off into my ignore list you go to rot forever and ever.

Last edited by DarkCoffe64,

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree with you if the emulator was, like, behind a paywall or something. But it's free to download and use...
That's more of a "If you'd like, support us, thank you"
Nobody's forcing ya to pay for the emu or anything.
Oh, after reading a few of your posts, I see you're also a law-bootlicker asshole, great. You're unwelcomed in my world.

Enjoy your underperforming and "not working offline" games then, asshole. Would rather be friends with someone that has no job but isn't a shithead like you.
Off into my ignore list you go to rot forever and ever.
maybe hes pissed that they make more money than him?

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether it's a fact that denuvo impacts PC game performance is irrelevant, you said they lied in the press release for the switch version of denuvo. It is not a fact yet whether the switch version affects switch game performance, because denuvo is a brand name and the code could be 100% different and use entirely different technology.

I don't know if gbatemp is the most popular site for switch hacking, but that is irrelevant as they are talking about emulators. gbatemp is not the most popular site for emulators. So you can't use the member count to prove anything.

I only asked you to prove claims you made, which you've failed to do for the reasons that I have stated.
You would have to perform the same type of research as they did, to dispute the claim that 84% are concerned.

Certainly you'd have to do some research to back up your claim that no developers are concerned and that denuvo has only been produced to scare them into using it.

And before anyone says that a pirated game on an emulator is not a lost sale anyway. The developers/publishers might be rather pissed at.

https://www.patreon.com/yuzuteam

5,291​

PATRONS

£18,095​

PER MONTH

They literally claimed in the same press release that Denuvo doesn't affect performance. This is objectively incorrect as it makes way more calls than necessary increasing CPU usage by a lot. It's not my job to confirm research based on what appear to be arbitrary numbers because they didn't share any actual data. I don't need to prove a negative just because they didn't prove their claims. There's also no actual evidence "millions of followers" are looking at Switch piracy because the most popular tutorial videos on CFW and emulators don't even reach half that most of the time. Actually a lot of forums show the number of downloads on games and it's rarely anything worth being concerned about. Like maaaybe low tens of thousands on really popular titles. It's actually a pretty reasonable assumption GBAtemp is among the most popular, literally Googling "Switch homebrew" it's like the 12th result, and the first one that isn't a tutorial or github (there's one ResetEra result above GBAtemp but ResetEra is more popular site and generally an online game journal, not a forum on consoles and homebrew like here, so that's an outlier).

Piracy also isn't a lost sale if the people pirating the game were never going to buy it. You know where piracy is really popular? Countries like Brazil and Russia where stuff like games and consoles can cost several times someone's earnings.

Also not once did I say no developers are worried about piracy. But it's generally accepted consoles are safer than PC in that regard.

Denuvo actually has caused lost sales because of how invasive it is there are people that won't buy games with it. I've never once heard anybody I know say "Even though I can afford this game why would I buy it if I can pirate it?" but I've heard plenty of people say "I'm not buying this game because it has Denuvo".

I'm also done arguing this with you because no matter what you're going to keep saying, despite objectively dubious if not factually incorrect statements coming from them "that's just your opinion, how do you know they're wrong".
as more of a modder / tinker and less of a full blown pirate. I think this is great news. No offense to the kids with modded switches with no jobs
Sounds great until some sort of extra DRM gets into the actual OS on top of requiring signed packages. Like you need signed packages but also the console refuses to boot anything that's not whitelisted. There's also the issue of Denuvo hogging resources because it makes unnecessary amounts of syscalls. A lot of computers that should've been able to run Monster Hunter World had issues maintaining 30 FPS because of Denuvo.

Last edited by Guacaholey,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm also done arguing this with you because no matter what you're going to keep saying, despite objectively dubious if not factually incorrect statements coming from them "that's just your opinion, how do you know they're wrong".
That is just your opinion, until someone looks at the switch denuvo then you can't make any conclusions.

You want to draw conclusions without evidence.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no, an idiot is going to ignore me. Though I'm not now going to find out what a law-bootlicker asshole is. Or what kind of idiot tells everyone what laws they do or do not adhere to on a public forum.

I also don't get pirates who want to argue that they aren't breaking the law, they seem like pussies.

I've never once heard anybody I know say "Even though I can afford this game why would I buy it if I can pirate it?
Maybe your friends aren't dumb enough to admit to you what they are doing?
Maybe you don't have any friends with money?

I can't answer how you have such a different experience, I just know that all my friends could buy dreamcast, original xbox, wii, ps3 & ds games & then when they could pirate them then they did.

Last edited by smf,

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no, an idiot is going to ignore me. Though I'm not now going to find out what a law-bootlicker asshole is. Or what kind of idiot tells everyone what laws they do or do not adhere to on a public forum.

I also don't get pirates who want to argue that they aren't breaking the law, they seem like pussies.

Maybe your friends aren't dumb enough to admit to you what they are doing?
Maybe you don't have any friends with money?

I can't answer how you have such a different experience, I just know that all my friends could buy wii & ds games & then when they could pirate them then they did.

U sure about that???? I considering that 5 FPS would be fun in minecraft

Last edited by sombrerosonic,

elk1007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Irdeto is a brand that some may not be familiar with, but many will know the name of their controversial anti-piracy software, Denuvo. After attempting to crack down on the piracy of PC games, Irdeto has set its sights on the Nintendo Switch. Believing piracy to be rampant on the platform, either through modded consoles or emulation, Irdeto has unveiled their aptly named "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection" technology.

They claim that their solution, which would run similarly to Denuvo, would have occasional checks to ensure the software was legitimate, and prevent the games that use it from being emulated. Irdeto also promises that there is no impact on the gaming performance with it enabled, a claim that has led to many controversies in the past with Denuvo.

Beyond the press release, there's not much known about the Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection, when it will launch, and what games it will launch with. By the phrasing in the announcement, however, it appears that Irdeto is targeting indie developers or third-party studios more than they are Nintendo itself, specifically for multi-platform games that can be protected from piracy on both PC and Switch.

:arrow: Source

Anti-consumer and it will definitely only affect legitimate customers like every other DRM ever.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Not even just being a bootlicker... Just straight up ignorance...

angelus kun

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i think people will not pirate if only nintendo privides a decent way to play old games and not poorly sandboxed emulated games like 3D all stars i mean Even fan Game ports are better than what nintendo does

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids