Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry about EmuNAND. If really needed and requested, I could write something myself.

Anyway, thank you for your future help in the wiiU part of the wiki !
I started it but it's missing so much information right now, all homebrew individual pages are missing. I have an idea for another page too, but don't know how to write it and which layout to use yet. I might talk about it with you.

That's what I don't like about tutorials. They don't explain anything and only tell users which button to press blindly.
when I write guides and tuto, I prefer explaining things and why users have to do that, how things work, etc.

Not everyone has the will (or even the knowledge) to do that. most guides are written by "noobs" who succesfully hacked their console following a youtube guide and create yet another fail youtube guide, without taking in account new hacks, user's differences, etc. and it could be dangerous to follow them.

This guide has a looot of details, even though it might not explain all the terms and how the console's internal work.
the console doesn't have a firmware, but a set of different "drivers".
Everything that runs on the console (being system menu, game, or even homebrew) uses a specific "set of functions" called IOS (Input/Output System, the drivers if you want to compare them to computers) responsible for the hardware communication between the program and the console.

Instead of updating a single firmware, nintendo decided to keep different version of these IOS for old games, and release new IOS for newer games. for example, a game which require USB2 access will use IOS 58, while Zelda twilight princess will always use IOS 9 which is very old, but it's working like that to ensure compatibility and bug free updates.

So, the Wii (and vWii, and wiiu), have these different "IOS" version stored in different sub-folders of the internal memory.
The Wii can select up to 257 different folders, that what people are calling a "slot".
Slot 9 = folder named "000000009" which contains a pack of functions a game or any application can use to communicate with the hardware (wiimote, disc, internal memory drive, usb, etc.)

Nintendo released a lot of IOS version, some for the games, some for the different system menu versions. Up to "slot 80" are used officially by nintendo.
Hacker are editing these existing files and installing the result in another empty folder, by convention it was decided to install them on folders numbered 200 and higher.
The USBLoaders are, for example, usually loading the IOS installed in the folder (slot) number 249.

You should often see something like this :
IOS249 [56]
which means that the IOS installed in slot 249 contains patched IOS files based on the official IOS files of nintendo located in slot 56.
the "drivers" in slot 56 are patched to add hacking features (redirect disc access to USB, patch the signature check, etc.) and the result is installed in slot 249, keeping the original slot 56 untouched and available for official softwares from nintendo.

The internal memory of the Wii is not a hard drive, but a flash-memory chipset type called "NAND". Since the Wii, a lot of people are calling other console's internal memory a NAND while it's not necessarily the same type of chipset (NOR, NAND, eMMC, etc.)

You might often see the term "emuNAND" too, which is a deformation of language, it's not emulating a NAND chipset, but redirecting access of the NAND to a copy of it.
Users are making copy of the internal chipset memory (the console's data) to SD card or USB, and the console is reading the data located there instead of the one located on the real chipset.
It's redirecting the access to a copy of the memory, allowing users to mess with the copy, install games and do dangerous things on it (like changing the system menu theme, picture, sounds, etc.), if anything goes wrong, the real memory is still good and unaffected ! You might also encounter the term "redNAND" which stands for Redirected-NAND.

Sorry, I like to be descriptive too ! haha

Is it possible to use my 32GB flashdrive, which is formatted to work with my system and holds a bit of save data for one of my WiiU games, to run Wii ISOs?
No. You can't use a WiiU formated drive for anything else. The WiiU deletes all partition information and you can share the drive with another device or application.

All emulators, ROMs, and save data for those ROMs, as well as homebrew apps, are stored on the SD card, right?
Yes, you can store them on SD, or even USB ! as long as it's formated to FAT32 it can be accessed by the homebrew channel.
Some homebrew are even compatible with other formats, like NTFS, ext2/3/4 or exFAT.

Is it possible to enable DVD and CD playback on the Wii U using vWii?
No, the drive is physically limited and can't read CD or DVD. it can't be fixed or updated.

I read that it was possible back in the Wii hacking days using MPlayer, but compatibility was broken. I also read that there was a rumor that it slowly damaged the laser. If it's possible, would that be true?
It worked on older consoles. Nintendo updated the drives on newer console and you can't read CD/DVD/DVD-R on newer drives.
I don't think it damaged the lens or laser, the laser itself just emit light. if the lens is damaged it's probably due to natural electronic device wearness.
Excellent, thanks for the details. Anything else I should be aware of prior?

As for the flash drive issue, couldn't I theoretically buy a second flash drive and use that drive only for USB Loader GX? By connecting it only after launching Wii Mode?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's recommended to buy an external HDD, instead of flash drive, for USBLoaderGX.
USBLoaders have issues with flash drives.
USB 2.0 HDD are fine, USB3.0 can have detection issues.

You can connect both drives at the same time, WiiU flash drive and vWii HDD. The WiiU will ask you to format the HDD, but there's a program (homebrew and computer) to hide the partition table of the drive and the WiiU will not ask to format it anymore.
That hidden drive works fine with a lot of homebrew (not all, but it can be updated). The USB port you connect them is important to prevent crashes and issue.

You can also just unplug/replug the correct drive when needed.
edit : Or just do like CJB said below.

Reactions: CJB100

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent, thanks for the details. Anything else I should be aware of prior?

As for the flash drive issue, couldn't I theoretically buy a second flash drive and use that drive only for USB Loader GX? By connecting it only after launching Wii Mode?

Iirc, best to leave your USB drive you use for vWii connected always and hidden by UStealth from the Wii U side. And then only connect your Wii U USB drive when you use your Wii U. It's the simplest way to do it atm and should keep everything working correctly. I say this because some homebrew will flip out if you leave a Wii U USB drive connected while also having your vWii USB drive connected. Loading a GameCube game will cause Nintendont to hang on startup if you have them both plugged in. But it won't cause any permanent issues.

Last edited by CJB100,

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I have one on Amazon I'd recommend, as all the good externally powered drives are more or less gone.

I would recommend the following hard drive: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canv...165&sr=8-8&keywords=500GB+portable+hard+drive

And a Y-Cable: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...i:aps,k:Dual+A+to+USB+3.0+Micro-B+USB+Y+Cable

This is what I use and it works fine. Although, you can go for a cheaper or smaller HDD. USB Hard Drives are usually pretty stable with the Wii U. You might also check the FAQ section, as there is a link to Nintendo's HDD compatibility chart in the third or fourth Question down about hard drives.

Reactions: Deleted User

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I have one on Amazon I'd recommend, as all the good externally powered drives are more or less gone.

I would recommend the following hard drive: https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canv...165&sr=8-8&keywords=500GB+portable+hard+drive

And a Y-Cable: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Dual+A+to+USB+3.0+Micro-B+USB+Y+Cable&rh=i:aps,k:Dual+A+to+USB+3.0+Micro-B+USB+Y+Cable

This is what I use and it works fine. Although, you can go for a cheaper or smaller HDD. USB Hard Drives are usually pretty stable with the Wii U. You might also check the FAQ section, as there is a link to Nintendo's HDD compatibility chart in the third or fourth Question down about hard drives.
I'd like to use a hard drive, my only problem is that it would take up both USB ports, and frankly look less attractive just sitting on my system. Also the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it to store my digitally downloaded retail WiiU games makes it feel kinda like a waste.

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to use a hard drive, my only problem is that it would take up both USB ports, and frankly look less attractive just sitting on my system. Also the fact that I wouldn't be able to use it to store my digitally downloaded retail WiiU games makes it feel kinda like a waste.

There are two solutions to this dilemma:

First, get a Y-cable mentioned above, AND a USB hub. Put the hub out the bottom port, and connect the hard drive as instructed in the guide. This will allow you those ports and it does usually properly power the hard drive.

Otherwise, just hook up the hard drive, and use the ports on the front.

You can't store Wii U games on anything you use for vWii, anyways, so I'd take your existing thumb drive and use it for Wii U stuff, and buy a hard drive or second thumb drive for vWii. I just recommend a hard drive because it seems to be a lot less prone to issues.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two solutions to this dilemma:

First, get a Y-cable mentioned above, AND a USB hub. Put the hub out the bottom port, and connect the hard drive as instructed in the guide. This will allow you those ports and it does usually properly power the hard drive.

Otherwise, just hook up the hard drive, and use the ports on the front.

You can't store Wii U games on anything you use for vWii, anyways, so I'd take your existing thumb drive and use it for Wii U stuff, and buy a hard drive or second thumb drive for vWii. I just recommend a hard drive because it seems to be a lot less prone to issues.
Interesting, thanks for the help. I'll wait to get the HDD sometime. Right now I just plan to follow your guide up until you get to the USB Loader GX part, and then skip that up to the VBA GX part, since that's the other thing I'm interested in, GBA emulation.

Iirc, best to leave your USB drive you use for vWii connected always and hidden by UStealth from the Wii U side. And then only connect your Wii U USB drive when you use your Wii U. It's the simplest way to do it atm and should keep everything working correctly. I say this because some homebrew will flip out if you leave a Wii U USB drive connected while also having your vWii USB drive connected. Loading a GameCube game will cause Nintendont to hang on startup if you have them both plugged in. But it won't cause any permanent issues.
Does the HDD for vWii have to be connected while I'm just using the console in Wii U mode? Because if its not required, couldn't I just switch out the flash drive and the HDD depending on whatever I plan on using?

Last edited by 7Robins,

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the HDD for vWii have to be connected while I'm just using the console in Wii U mode? Because if its not required, couldn't I just switch out the flash drive and the HDD depending on whatever I plan on using?

No, it does not have to be connected. I'm just lazy. Why move it if you can leave it plugged in forever? :D

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it does not have to be connected. I'm just lazy. Why move it if you can leave it plugged in forever? :D

Mostly because I'm constantly having to move my console, which is why I'm reluctant to get a HDD. :D
I also plan to put my console in a final place on my desk once I build my own custom gaming rig in a year or so, so it would be easy to remove and change stuff.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello
To hack wii U I need to have the super smash bross game or no ?
Attention, this thread is not used to "hack the WiiU" but to hack the "Wii part of the WiiU".
This is for the "virtual Wii" mode (vWii) and not the WiiU mode. there are other threads for WiiU mode and you don't need Smash bros U.
for vWii mode, you need one of the games listed on the first post.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSBB is probably the easiest to use, not to mention the fact that most people will have that game considering its popularity.

I plan on using my friends copy of LEGO Star Wars.

Which I was going to ask, we can share game copies and the same SD card to install HBC without issue, right?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSBB is probably the easiest to use, not to mention the fact that most people will have that game considering its popularity.

I plan on using my friends copy of LEGO Star Wars.

Which I was going to ask, we can share game copies and the same SD card to install HBC without issue, right?

Should be able to install HBC, no problem. But obviously other homebrews will probably need to be stored on the SD. So whoever winds up with the SD is going o be the one with easier access to their homebrew apps.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be able to install HBC, no problem. But obviously other homebrews will probably need to be stored on the SD. So whoever winds up with the SD is going o be the one with easier access to their homebrew apps.
Well, I actually just created that SD specifically for installing HBC, I plan on getting a higher capacity for actually storing the homebrew.

Also, a 2GB non-HC microSD in an SD adapter should work no problem right?

CJB100

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I actually just created that SD specifically for installing HBC, I plan on getting a higher capacity for actually storing the homebrew.

Also, a 2GB non-HC microSD in an SD adapter should work no problem right?

Should.

HAFEDHBY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Attention, this thread is not used to "hack the WiiU" but to hack the "Wii part of the WiiU".
This is for the "virtual Wii" mode (vWii) and not the WiiU mode. there are other threads for WiiU mode and you don't need Smash bros U.
for vWii mode, you need one of the games listed on the first post.
OK, thanks

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I can't hack my vWii if I don't have the game to install the homebrew launcher ?
:/
Yeah, one of the games are required. They're really cheap online, Brawl is going for well under $20, and LEGO Star Wars, the game I'm using, is going for $6. If you only care about installing HBC, get LEGO Star Wars, or look around for an even cheaper price for one of the games.

Reactions: CJB100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM4vMLpcX7A