The Game Awards speculation thread: can you guess the winners?

Game-Awards-2020-Twitter-Voting-Exclusive.png

The Game Awards are almost here, and you know what that means! Watching dozens of commercials and meandering interviews with developers until we get to the good stuff at the end: game reveals for the following year. There have been teases here and there, with Microsoft seemingly having something big to reveal at the show, and Persona 5: Strikers presumably would have been another announcement dropped during the ceremony, had it not leaked beforehand. We'll even get to see the former Nintendo of America President, as Reggie Fils-Aime will be one of the many presenters for The Game Awards.

But before the festivities kick off, why don't we play a guessing game? There are a whopping 30 categories full of nominees, ranging from best eSports host, to the glorious game of the year. We've narrowed down the topic list to 10 categories, as follows.

• Game of the Year (DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Narrative (13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Score and Music (DOOM Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Hades, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Performance (Ashley Johnson/Ellie/TLOU2, Laura Bailey/Abby/TLOU2, Daisuke Tsuji/Jin Sakai/Ghost of Tsushima, Logan Cunningham/Hades, Nadi Jeter/Miles Morales)
  • Best Indie (Carrion, Fall Guys, Hades, Spelunky 2, Spiritfarer)
  • Best Role Playing (Final Fantasy VII Remake, Genshin Impact, Persona 5 Royale, Wasteland 3, Yakuza: Like a Dragon)
  • Games for Impact (If Found, Kentucky Route Zero, Spiritfarer, Tell Me Why, Through the Darkest of Times)
  • Best Action (DOOM Eternal, Hades, Half-Life Alyx, Nioh 2, Streets of Rage 4)
  • Best Action/Adventure (Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, The Last of Us Part II)
  • Best Multiplayer (Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Among Us, Call of Duty: Warzone, Fall Guys, Valdrant)
You can see all of the nominees at the official Game Awards website. The goal of this contest is to see who can guess as many winners as possible, before the official results come in! The first commenter in the thread that manages the feat of perfectly guessing the ten winners in each category above (or if no one gets a clean sweep, the first to get as close as humanly possible) above will get a nice reward: 202 XP! Obviously, the contest will end once TGA kick off, on December 10th.

:arrow: The Game Awards Nominees

Big Man Tyrone2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOTY - The Last of Us 2.
Best Game Direction - Toss up between TLo2 and Ghost of Tsushima
Best Narrative - The Last of Us 2
Best Art Direction - Hades or Ori
Best Score - Doom Eternal
Best Audio - Toss Up between Doom and TLo2
Best Performance - Ellie.
Games for Impact - Spiritfarer
Best Ongoing - Destiny 2
Best Indie - Hades
Best Action - Doom
Best Action/Adventure- Tsushima or TLo2
Best RPG - P5R
Best Multiplayer- Among Us

I haven't played any of these games other than a bit of Doom and Among Us, but it's obvious that TLo2 will win many awards, despite opinions on the story. Most people agree that the voice acting and the gameplay is really good anyways.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This'd be the more fun outcome. I'd like Animal Crossing to win, but apparently it'd be tacky to give the GOTY to a non-Zelda Nintendo game, so...
The outrage is already a shit show on Twitter, if you wanna see the pre-meltdown show. :toot::grog:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The results I want:

GOTY - Ghost of Tsushima
Best Narrative - Hades
Best Music - DOOM Eternal
Best Performance - Daisuke Tsuji/Jin Sakai/Ghost of Tsushima
Best Indie - Hades
Best RPG - Persona 5 Royal
Games for Impact (I don't understand this category) - Kentucky Route Zero
Best Action - DOOM Eternal
Best Action/Adventure - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Multiplayer - Among Us

What I think the results will actually be:

GOTY - TLoU 2
Best Narrative - TLoU 2
Best Music - FFVII Remake
Best Performance - Ashley Johnson/Ellie/TLOU2
Best Indie - Hades
Best RPG - Persona 5 Royal
Games for Impact - Kentucky Route Zero
Best Action - DOOM Eternal
Best Action/Adventure - Ghost of Tsushima
Best Multiplayer - Among Us

Reactions: Chary

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GOTY: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Best nar.: The Last of Us Part II
Best Score.: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Best perf.: Daisuke Tsuji/Jin Sakai/Ghost of Tsushima
Best indie.: Hades
Best RP.: Final Fantasy VII Remake
Impact.: Spiritfarer
Best act.: Half-Life Alyx
Best act/adv.: Ghost of Tsushima
Best multi.: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genshin Impact even being a contender for best RPG is a joke. Guess that just shows how weak the RPG field was this year. Its "best mobile game" nomination is more understandable since it is very technically impressive for mobile devices and the quality bar is so much lower for mobile games.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
We all know it's gonna be The Woke of Us in as many categories as possible, so no need to guess.
I'd love to ACNL win this year's GOTY, since it brought a lot of people through the hard quarantine times this year and is a great game in general.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personal Picks:

goty: tlou2
narrative: tlou2
music: ff7r
performance: ellie
indie: hades
rpg: yakuza
impact: if found
action: nioh2
action adventure: tlou2
multiplayer: among us

Expected Winners:

goty: tlou2
narrative: tlou2
music: doom
performance: abby
indie: hades
rpg: ff7r
impact: tell me why
action: doom
action adventure: tsushima
multiplayer: cod warzone

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare