• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Israel and Palestine conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The US, USSR, Britain, Canada, et al. should've found a way to kill only Nazis and not a single innocent German, I guess.

War is hell. There is no "good" side, but there usually is a side that starts it.
No, there was definitely a good side during the civil war, and WW2.

Reactions: Xzi

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To an extent you would expect one to be better with age, like losing that teenage edgelord cringe, but he's demonstrated to be an unabashed, unintelligent bigot and you're carrying water for him.

Why would you expect people to "get better" with age?

You guys clutch pearls with your isms and handle being called out disgracefully. What are we to learn from you? Can't you just say,"yeah you're right, age isn't really the factor here."

Unless you believe it is the factor, then be honest about that.

They are called "the winners" and history always favors them because they have the power to write it and educate you.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But we killed hundreds of thousands of innocent Gazans ... I mean Germans and Japanese.

Snark aside, I agree with you.

As for the Civil War, we get the slavery angle thrown down our necks in school, but like any war the real reason for the North's determination to force the South to its knees was .... follow the money. The people who were really getting rich off the cotton being grown in the US South were in NYC and London. Most of that cotton was shipped to England to make clothes, i.e. the industrial revolution. Of course England had already banned slavery, but it didn't mind buying and profiting off its work product one little bit.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
But we killed hundreds of thousands of innocent Gazans ... I mean Germans and Japanese.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully am opposed to attacks against civilians in all wars, not just this current one. There is no way to support this shit and not sound like a massive asshole.
Do you think Hiroshima and Nagasaki were good for humanity? Or even necessary?

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully am opposed to attacks against civilians in all wars, not just this current one. There is no way to support this shit and not sound like a massive asshole.
Do you think Hiroshima and Nagasaki were good for humanity? Or even necessary?

ehhh, we had that thread already. Recently.

I actually lived in Hiroshima for two years, and I've been to Nagasaki several times. If that's the sum total of WWII to you, particularly from the perspective of the toll in civilian lives, you need to learn more about it. The Japanese earned how that war was finished. And I don't try to second guess the judgment of the people who lived it.

• Haha
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
ehhh, we had that thread already. Recently.

I actually lived in Hiroshima for two years, and I've been to Nagasaki several times. If that's the sum total of WWII to you, particularly from the perspective of the toll in civilian lives, you need to learn more about it. The Japanese earned how that war was finished. And I don't try to second guess the judgment of the people who lived it.
No need for condescension.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need for condescension.

Didn't mean it that way. But some understanding of what the Japanese did in China and all over SE Asia, and what the Germans did in Poland, the USSR, and etc. ... literally millions of civilian dead ... is necessary context to understanding the retribution they were dealt.

Reactions: AsPika2219

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I already posted, in that thread, several other considerations on how to handle the war. The bomb solution was "sold", even via direct lies and lies of omission; not justified. In retrospect, it is what happened and discourse won't change that (at least I don't think). If you are in a habit of rationalizing the past on how it happened, then yeah, we all get what we deserve.

At least mrmcdude showed the same consistency as he does now. I'm sure that if tables were ever turned, that he wouldn't object to paying for the "justice" obliged by his country's leadership and the mooks that followed. Shout-out to @mikefor20 for that word.

I don't believe an eye for an eye is right. Someone else committing war crimes doesn't justify doing it back lol.
Some people double down and say "two eyes for your eye, because you started it (though maybe I did, not sure, don't care)."

And I don't try to second guess the judgment of the people who lived it.

Except that you do, or at least did. I'm paraphrasing, but you mentioned a scenario where you disagreed with locals who said,"aren't you sorry?".

Last edited by tabzer,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that you do, or at least did. I'm paraphrasing, but you mentioned a scenario where you disagreed with locals who said,"aren't you sorry?".

Good memory. You're talking about this post:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/on-this...-nagasaki-ending-the-war.637739/post-10227508

As I said there, and as I said above in this thread, I didn't "disagree" with anyone, I just told them I don't try to second guess the judgment of the people who lived it.

But it is pretty obvious that if you don't want to become an eventual victim of war, you probably shouldn't launch one. That's a separate issue from the 'whether Hiroshima&Nagasaki were necessary or justified,' question though.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I saw the "disagreement" in the sentiment. Do you think that civilians truly had a hand in launching the war? Are they responsible because of their race or their geopolitical proximity? Governments claim people without their consent. The US isn't an exception.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
The US, USSR, Britain, Canada, et al. should've found a way to kill only Nazis and not a single innocent German, I guess.

War is hell. There is no "good" side, but there usually is a side that starts it.
Mrdude minion or his second account?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Mrdude minion or his second account?
I don't have a second account, I am not afraid to post as myself and certainly not cowardly like some on here are that I would need to use a puppet account.

As for more Hamas being able to be told to "Stop it" and they will say "OK - my bad bro" and that will be the end of all the violence.... nope they will never stop until they are all dead or captured.

Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel: Since 2001 they have launched 10's thousands of rockets into Israel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel

In other news, it seems Israel just can't catch a break - it's being targetted from all sides:

Hezbollah claims anti-tank missile attack from Lebanon critically wounding Israeli civilians:

Yemen’s Houthis say they launched ballistic missiles, drones at Israel:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023...down-aerial-target-near-red-sea-city-of-eilat

Eilat school was hit by drone fired from Syria, IDF says as it strikes back:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-strikes-syria-in-response-to-drone-attack-on-eilat-school/

Then you have US in the region being attacked at over 40 times in the last month by those symapthetic to wiping Israel of the face of the earth:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/10/us-troops-attacked-in-iraq-2

It's quite obvious from some of the peace loving hippies on this forum that they have zero clue about war or what goes on in terrorists heads (mind you these hive mind lefty type clones can barely even think for themselves). They have no idea about the enemies of Israel and what their objectives are. They have no idea that peace is usually always earned through spilled blood and sacrifice (and by killing all your enemies).

Anyway I'll leave it hear for now, until there are more major developments in this war as Irsael are doing a good job of kicking the ass of Hamas and are wiping them out on a daily basis.

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
I can almost understand his behavior if it was on a racist forum or white supremacist/fascist/BLM/Islamist.But here on gbatemp? I mean our boss costello is a fricking animal lover.His attitude is not welcomed here.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I can see where the other person got mixed up. It was stolen, but not the way that the far right keeps talking about. The democracy has been co-opted by special interests and the parties that they control. I think most people would agree with that in some part.
This is actually a good point, however, the election interference we've observed since 2020 is also true.
If we removed all the parties and just voted for anyone who you believe should be president in the entire country, there's no way that Biden or Trump would ever be chosen. But the parties raised them up to be their champions, and there aren't any other options that have even a slight chance.
The Republican Party did not raise Trump up to be their champion. Trump fought against them more than he fought against Democrats while in office, scoring only a few legislative wins while Republicans controlled Congress.
Post automatically merged:

That's easy to say when you consider anything criticizing Israel's abhorrent actions to be pro-Hamas. And I don't mean you as in you, yourself, but the collective conservative side who are trying to demonize anyone supporting the Palestinian people in Gaza (not Hamas) as they are in a battle for what amounts to basic human rights as we speak.
It's easy to say because groups like Antifa and BLM support the pro-Hamas groups and are actually a lot of the same people.
The truth is that Israel is doing some terrible shit and justifying it by claiming self-defense. Not sure how many innocent lives need to be taken before this stops being justified as self-defense, though... :unsure:
Both sides have committed atrocities. The Jews have been in that area of the world for over 3,000 years. Palestinians are colonizers and need to either live in peace, or move to any of the Arab countries who refuse to take them in.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Muslims across the world dance and celebrate that Hamas are being destroyed, Here's some happy east end muslims on hearing the news that another 50 Hamas terrorists have been buried alive in their tunnels today.

I wonder what acting school this "victim" went to?

Last edited by mrdude,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1