Homebrew The Jagoomba Thread

aidn0828

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A while ago I worked on a fork of the Goomba Color emulator that lets you play GB/C games off of a GBA cartridge, calling it Jagoomba Color. You can find it on Github here: https://github.com/EvilJagaGenius/jagoombacolor
With the aid of some very helpful ROM hackers I managed to get a few games running in the emulator that weren't before, and others have contributed even more fixes. You can check the Github page for more info.

I've held off on creating a thread because I don't like calling undue attention to my amateur ASM and hacking work. However, this is better than having other people's threads get hijacked with bug reports and such. Post bug reports either here or on Github, or if you have ideas on how to fix things, discussion is appreciated. Pull requests doubly so. Lately I've been struggling to find time to work on this, so contributions are very welcome.

Need help with:
- Fixing some games with really jerky scrolling. It's visible on Kirby TnT's title screen, but affects Perfect Dark and Crystalis badly.
- Mid-frame BG palette changing/Hi-color mode. I don't know if it's possible to fix this within Goomba Color's limitations, but I'd like to try. I think it'd take changes to how the emulator renders to fix, Github issue here: https://github.com/EvilJagaGenius/jagoombacolor/issues/20

Latest version: v0.5
https://github.com/EvilJagaGenius/jagoombacolor/releases/tag/v0.5

Finally, many thanks to FluBBa, Dwedit, Minucce, Sterophonick, Nuvie, Radimerry, Therealteamplayer, and everyone else who's contributed to this one way or another.
hey man for some reason the latest version of jagoomba doesn't save my games on the ez flash omega. Pokemon files just disappear

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It would be really cool if you could incorporate Lesserkuma's Batteryless saving into your builds. It still saves to SRAM if no flash chips are detected.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bump for Polished Crystal - has anyone found a way around this? Is there anything we can do to make it work?

I did mention Polished Crystal earlier, but sadly no response about it.

Here's the quote for it:There's a particular Crystal romhack which doesn't seem to work with Goomba as of yet.The hack in question is Polished Crystal (specifically the latest v3 beta since that's the latest version and one close to a proper stable release):
https://github.com/Rangi42/polishedcrystal/releases/tag/v3.0.0-beta-nightly

Upon trying to load it with the latest Jagoomba v5, the game does get to the title screen, but after pressing a button to get to the game menu screen, I get this image:
goomba.png

Not sure if it'd be possible to fix this one to make it work but Jagoomba, but I'm leaving this here in case there's any hope on it :D

And here's the error screen with the most recent build of both Polished Crystal and Jagoomba:
PolishedCrystal-0.png

Quoting Rangi (the main dev of Polished), here's what could help to support Polished Crystal in Ja/goomba Color:

Rangi42 said:
IIRC the main feature Goomba is missing for PC support is DMA copying; PC actually checks some arbitrary bug with reading/writing rSC that happened to be incorrect for VBA and was easy to check, which is what I really wanted to discourage using.

It's worth noting also that the next version of Red++ (v4) will be using Polished Crystal as a base for having Gen 1 with the Gen 2 engine, so it might be worth the shot to add support for this for everyone interested in running those games without a specific GBC flashcart.
I am a member of the Polished Crystal Discord server (one of the GFX contributors), so if there's anything needed in order to properly debug this to work, I could redirect it there for a hopeful fix with Jagoomba.

Attachments

• PolishedCrystal-0.png
    PolishedCrystal-0.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by ShadowOne333,

ampersande

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's the quote for it:

I am a member of the Polished Crystal Discord server (one of the GFX contributors), so if there's anything needed in order to properly debug this to work, I could redirect it there for a hopeful fix with Jagoomba.

Here's the quote for it:

I would give anything to get this working! I’m dying to play it on my original GBA.

steval_beaning

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it expected that saves don't work when you power off the console rather than doing L+R -> Exit? cause I've found in Link's Awakening DX (with the Redux patch) if I do a save and quit from the in-game menu then power off the console, the previous save is not overwritten, whereas it is properly overwritten if I exit via the emulator menu. I'm using an omega DE flash card with simple menu, btw

slider86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried one of the Army Men GBC games on my Everdrive GBA X5 and graphically it's messed up right from the title screen. I'm sure there are other games with these types of issues. Any chance of updating for compatibility?

EvilJagaGenius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it expected that saves don't work when you power off the console rather than doing L+R -> Exit? cause I've found in Link's Awakening DX (with the Redux patch) if I do a save and quit from the in-game menu then power off the console, the previous save is not overwritten, whereas it is properly overwritten if I exit via the emulator menu. I'm using an omega DE flash card with simple menu, btw
I'm fairly certain this is an issue with vanilla Goomba Color on the EZ-Flash Omegas as well, but others on Github are saying it's a bug introduced in v0.5? I always exit through the emulator menu, it's the most reliable, and I recommend others do the same. Actually what I do with the Omega build is I open the menu, then wait a second for the clock in the top-right corner to start ticking again. At that point I know the fresh save was written to the SD card.
Maybe I should look into radimerry's changes to the SRAM code though.

I tried one of the Army Men GBC games on my Everdrive GBA X5 and graphically it's messed up right from the title screen. I'm sure there are other games with these types of issues. Any chance of updating for compatibility?
I just checked Army Men 1 & 2, those are more games that rely on high-color mode. Still don't know how to fix it. If you mash buttons long enough it'll take you to the main menu, which is readable, and it seems like the game is playable from there. Boot Camp and the first levels look normal to me, the UI is the wrong colors but mostly readable.

Rangi42 said:
IIRC the main feature Goomba is missing for PC support is DMA copying; PC actually checks some arbitrary bug with reading/writing rSC that happened to be incorrect for VBA and was easy to check, which is what I really wanted to discourage using.
... I thought I fixed HDMA. Urg.
Upon further research it's being hung up on a bug with the blasted link cable?
rSC EQU $ff02 ; Serial Transfer Control (R/W)
If/when I get back to this I'll see what it needs.

Y'all may have noticed that I haven't worked on Jagoomba in a long while, I don't know if I'll get the motivation to continue working on it. There's other stuff I would like to do, like set up the repo as a fork of Dwedit's Github Goomba Color repo and incorporate his most recent commits. Pull requests are still always welcome.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
... I thought I fixed HDMA. Urg.
Upon further research it's being hung up on a bug with the blasted link cable?
rSC EQU $ff02 ; Serial Transfer Control (R/W)
If/when I get back to this I'll see what it needs.

Y'all may have noticed that I haven't worked on Jagoomba in a long while, I don't know if I'll get the motivation to continue working on it. There's other stuff I would like to do, like set up the repo as a fork of Dwedit's Github Goomba Color repo and incorporate his most recent commits. Pull requests are still always welcome.

Thank you for the response!
Hopefully the issue with the HDMA stuff is nothing too tricky. Rangi's available at any times on the Polished Crystal server if any further detail is needed to get that hack to work on Jagoomba. Do take your time, I'll be looking forward for/when you return to it :D

Hariainm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey EvilJagaGenius, do you think you can fix the status bar on Kirby Dream Land 2 DX colorization mod? It has some glitches as you can see here:

Attachments

• IMG20230423124446.jpg
    IMG20230423124446.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54

user2040

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Want to state that in regards to Jagoomba Color v0.5, the build made for EZ-Flash Omega that supports RTC (v0.5_ezo.gba), also has a functional RTC on the Everdrive GBA Mini (x5). You have to enable RTC on the specific GBC ROM in its options menu, and enable RTC on the emulator file in GBASYS/emu as well, I believe. The clock runs if you do that.

Thank you.

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo