The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Decompilation project emerges

legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past---button-3-1559683061447.jpg

Out of the blue, and without any kind of mention, a mostly complete decompilation project coded in C/C++ from the SNES classic, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, has emerged on GitHub under the MIT license.

The project was released around 9 days ago, on August 14th, and seems to be playable from start to end.
Right now the decompilation is compatible with Windows (compilable with Visual Studio) and Linux (using SDL2 and Python).
At the moment, only keyboard is supported for controls, but those interested in contributing can do so through GitHub.

As with other decompilation projects, the repository doesn't include any of the original game's assets.
The project requires you to previously own and provide your own A Link to the Past ROM to extract all of the game's assets and begin the compilation afterwards.

:arrow: Link (no pun intended):
https://github.com/snesrev/zelda3

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
The source is that I made it the fuck up :tpi:
AFAIK....

Despite what most believe to be true, IBM actually never sued Pheonix or Compaq over the AT BIOS being decompiled leading to IBM clones.

The most cited case is Intel Vs NEC which is interesting. Intel sued NEC over an alleged 8086 microcode copyright, NEC went on to win but not by using the CR defence, instead they hired an indy dev to write the same code and used this as proof to the judge that the only way to do these functions was the way they had done it by showing similarities between the 2 entirely separate projects. They couldn't use clean room since they were actually licensed by Intel to use the code at the time.

The last case thats often cited is Sony Vs Connectix. Sony tried to sue them for decompiling the PS BIOS, at first they won a preliminary judgement but this was later overturned and when it became obvious they were gonna lose they did what all corps do and threw money at it. Sony ended up just buying Connectix out and no judgement was ever made.

Lets not forget that only last year Take Two shut down all those GTA decomp projects. The problem is nobody wants to be the first to take on a multi billion $ business in court to test it properly.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sounds cool, but to accomplish what?
To what i know we already had modding for this game for everything except 16kHD and dolby 9.2 support.
Sure wanna try it though!
lemme know when there's a builder GUI for it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds cool, but to accomplish what?
To what i know we already had modding for this game for everything except 16kHD and dolby 9.2 support.
Sure wanna try it though!
lemme know when there's a builder GUI for it.
I don't know if there could be a gui, because you do need sdl2.dll in the system32 or sysWOW64 folders depending on which version you're using. they used 2.20 iirc. the other stuff could be done, but that is a requirement.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I should add that while Hyrule Magic (the existing ALTTP editor) might leave much to be desired, I have the impression that the sheer complexity of designing good levels seems to have been more of a barrier to new projects.

Has it? Can you show a source for this?
I was reading a really nice summary a while ago, but can't seem to find it at the moment. https://www.internetandtechnologylaw.com/history-fair-use-defense-software/ is pretty close.

ETA: Maybe I'm thinking of https://scholarship.law.ufl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1099&context=jtlp ?

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: Dungeonseeker

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, by version, I actually mean x86 or x64. should be obvious which is which. lol, but they do use an older version of sdl, though not much older than the latest.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm sure the project itself could benefit a lot from a performance boost if it shifts libraries to OpenGL instead of SDL2.
That'll help it run in a wide variety of devices with decent performance I'm guessing.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol