"The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap" decomp reaches 100% completion

url.jpg
Another title from the Zelda franchise joins the ranks today for fully decompiled projects, just in time for the holiday season as well.

This time, the title that reached 100% on its decompilation is the GBA title, The Minish Cap, which sees Link going through Hyrule and learning about the Picori and the dark mage, Vaati, who placed a curse on Link.

The decompilation for The Minish Cap has been worked on for several years now, and it has been worked on by the same Zelda decomp team that did the Ocarina of Time decomp, ZeldaRET (or Zelda Reverse Engineering Team), this is also the same team that's also working on the decompilation for Majora's Mask, which is currently around 80% complete.

With this, we could expect a PC port coming soon once people start working out the workings of the decomp to make ports to other systems as well.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played this game for the first time a month ago since it was on nintendo switch. It's a interesting game, collab with capcom just like oracle of ages/seaons. Gonna take awhile to get used to the... "Toon Link" Graphics again, it's been even longer since I played wind waker. :ninja:

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What a nice Christmas gift! :creep:

It was stuck at 98% for the entire year I was wondering if it ever was going to be completed lol. Congrats to the ZeldaRET team!

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I was referring to the yet-to-exist PC port.
This also can't be taken down if they follow the same standard as the Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past standard.

Basically these projects require you to provide your own ROM file and require you to compile the port yourself.

Yes if someone made a fully self-contained port where you just download an executable and it includes everything in it then sure, Nintendo could take that down as that would be illegal.

But that's not the way things are done these days.

Reactions: DTApple and James_

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For me the WiiU versions work just fine.

However Majora's Mask is the one I am holding my breath for the decomplication to finish.
Three good reasons:
1) Nerrel's textures that are currently PC only
2) QoL improvements probably will come from Ship of Harkiaan OoT
3) The very recent soundtrack remake that is currently exclusive to the 3DS version
According to the Ship of Harkinian team they have completed the Majora's Mask decomp as much as was needed to make a PC port. They are already working on the port which they call "2 Ship 2 Harkinian".

Reactions: spkatsi and Fyrus

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This is partially true, because it depends on the means and methods used to decompile a game.

NAL, but this. If you just run a rom through IDA or Ghidra, you'll be shut down. 'Clean room' on the other hand and not including other copyrighted assets has traditionally been allowed.

IIRC this is what caused problems for one GTA decomp.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VITA PORT WHEN!?!?!?!? VITA PORT WHEN!?!?!?!? One of my holy trinities, bottem right of Link's Awakening, Link to a Past and Majora's Mask is the upside down triforce in the middle.
Post automatically merged:

Played this game for the first time a month ago since it was on nintendo switch. It's a interesting game, collab with capcom just like oracle of ages/seaons. Gonna take awhile to get used to the... "Toon Link" Graphics again, it's been even longer since I played wind waker. :ninja:
Toon Link isn't bad.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This also can't be taken down if they follow the same standard as the Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past standard.

Basically these projects require you to provide your own ROM file and require you to compile the port yourself.

Yes if someone made a fully self-contained port where you just download an executable and it includes everything in it then sure, Nintendo could take that down as that would be illegal.

But that's not the way things are done these days.
Indeed, there is good reason why the Mario 64 and OoT decomps have stayed up all this time. Also, let's not forget Rockstar going after the GTA decomps a few years back only for them to ultimately lose that battle. Decomp projects (as they've been released) do indeed appear to be safe from getting DMCA'd.

Reactions: James_

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never played this one so kicked up last nght on my 3DS, its cool. But why is Link always sleeping at the beginning of zelda games, and needs woke up?

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?