Perfect Dark Decomp almost finished, currently at 97%

1665416429683.png

The amount of decompiled games has seen a considerable increase during the last 5 years.
A lot of N64 games have been the main focus of such decompilation projects, since the console's many games were originally coded in C/C++.

One of the many projects currently being decompiled from the N64 console is none other than one of Rare's top games for it, Perfect Dark.
The current status of the decompilation project is nearing its completion, with both the NTSC 1.0 and NTSC Final versions of the game currently sitting at 97% completion.

The other versions of the game are not far off, either.
The PAL and Japanese versions are sitting at 96% and 95%, respectively. Even the Beta versions of the game are getting a decompilation as well, with both the NTSC and PAL Betas sitting at 94% and 96%, respectively. With all the work being done, the completion and possibility of a PC port (and other devices) is coming closer and closer to being a near-future reality.

There's a lot more N64 games being decompiled at the moment, with the most recent one being Ocarina of Time, which has been seeing ports to many devices and consoles thanks to the combined effort of the community, with Majora's Mask being another one that's closing up above 70% completion. If you want to take a peek at other decompilation projects currently being worked on, you can visit the N64Decomp community at GitHub, while the Zelda titles decompilations are currently hosted at Zelda Reverse Engineering Team's page.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how come those decomp projects started appearing when AI just hit the main stream? the last 25 years nothing emerged and now...
why is that?
I don't know if decompilers are trained on anything like similar setups to AI (I am sure someone did the equivalent of a unit test changing 1 variable or something to make several thousand subtly different test cases as either a test or training model) but I would not read too much into it -- static decompilation of C has been bubbling along behind the scenes in academic circles and forensic circles for many years now, dynamic bursting onto the scene with the first N64 emulators but precursors existing before then and while it was more of a party trick then just in time C compilers also existed and would be counted among precursor technologies.
Decompilations of C based things (scripted languages, C# and related things having it happen for years/by default) did happen before then as well, usually when some info was leaked alongside it, see Diablo for a later example but some of the sorts of things being done

Reactions: naddel81

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how come those decomp projects started appearing when AI just hit the main stream? the last 25 years nothing emerged and now...
why is that?
AI has nothing to do with the decomps, any correlation between the 2 rising at around the same time is strictly coincidental. As to why they started to pop up only in the last 5 years in completed states? Can't say for sure, but probably because we only collectively figured out how to backwards engineer these games in full in recent years. And look at the timeline, about 5 years since decomps became a real thing and we only have a small handful of completed decomps in that time. Clearly this is a long tedious process that takes a lot of time and dedication.

Reactions: naddel81

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Love seeing the fans working on source ports and the care and craft that goes into them.
Post automatically merged:

why is that?
I think the processing power required to brute force crunch was just too slow on older hardware? But with new tech you can get like 2% a month now?

Maybe that's completely off base but that's what I've assumed.

Reactions: James_

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit, cool! I can't wait to play a native PC port, with the Xbox 360 textures, minus Elvis' new face. And Miyamoto being added back in! Also, neat Banjo is at 90% and Minish Cap is at 97%. lol

Dat Elvis face. lol

Last edited by Viri,

wiiAdventurer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks at N64 decompilation github projects, doesn't see Jet Force Gemini or Iggy's Wrecking Balls. Come on people!!

Seriously though, while I find a lot of FPS games kinda boring, PD has always been one of my favorites. It just has so much content, provides some ideas that are even unique today, and still maintains a very high degree of quality. I am excited to see where this goes.

Last edited by wiiAdventurer,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i alwaus kkeepp wondering why REing viideo games are legal and why game companies haven't
made exception bans on them,,on the flip side glad nothing's been sucessful at banning REing (so far)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i alwaus kkeepp wondering why REing viideo games are legal and why game companies haven't
made exception bans on them,,on the flip side glad nothing's been sucessful at banning REing (so far)
Well TakeTwo did go after the GTA decomps, and all development on those ceased, and I believe all githubs have been shutdown, including forks. Which is a shame, there was still 2 or so titles from that era to get the treatment, those being San Andreas and Vice City Stories of course. I believe Liberty City Stories was still a bit of a work in progress but you could still get it up and running. As a Wii U owner, I'm forever going to be annoyed that I have GTA 3 and Vice City on my device but San Andreas will never arrive to round out the trilogy.

Having said that, I don't know if it really is illegal or not. I mean every decomp project is not a means on its own to pirate the game, you still need to provide your own copy of the game. Granted it can be pirated, but it can also be legit, whether it is or not has nothing to do with the decomp project files provided in these projects.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Well TakeTwo did go after the GTA decomps, and all development on those ceased, and I believe all githubs have been shutdown, including forks. Which is a shame, there was still 2 or so titles from that era to get the treatment, those being San Andreas and Vice City Stories of course. I believe Liberty City Stories was still a bit of a work in progress but you could still get it up and running. As a Wii U owner, I'm forever going to be annoyed that I have GTA 3 and Vice City on my device but San Andreas will never arrive to round out the trilogy.

Having said that, I don't know if it really is illegal or not. I mean every decomp project is not a means on its own to pirate the game, you still need to provide your own copy of the game. Granted it can be pirated, but it can also be legit, whether it is or not has nothing to do with the decomp project files provided in these projects.
Realistically, all it would take is one of these devs to go to court to see where the law stands on it. Decomp projects, in theory, shouldn't be illegal. Unless there's copyrighted code being distributed or a means of piracy being available from these sources.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realistically, all it would take is one of these devs to go to court to see where the law stands on it. Decomp projects, in theory, shouldn't be illegal. Unless there's copyrighted code being distributed or a means of piracy being available from these sources.
I believe the Take Two GTA decomps being taken down is going to court. But I could have that wrong.

scoobydude51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

IIRC, it wasn’t a clean decomp, they just used the PS2 copies that had the debug symbols and used a program (probably Ghidra) to turn it back into code. Since it included comments from the Rockstar developers (which decomp projects don’t have) and San Andreas wasn’t included since only GTA 3 and Vice City had the debug symbols included.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh uh should have said "I'm looking forward in Goldeneye's decomp" lol
Sorry :lol: Getting my wires crossed up quite often today
I'm especially looking forward to that one getting released, but Perfect Dark is equally as exciting to me because of all the QoL improvements. Playing multiplayer with dual MagSec 4's set to 3-round burst mode makes you GOD-LIKE.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm especially looking forward to that one getting released, but Perfect Dark is equally as exciting to me because of all the QoL improvements. Playing multiplayer with dual MagSec 4's set to 3-round burst mode makes you GOD-LIKE.
yeah cause last time i checked Goldeneye (the rom) is still buggy on emulator unless RA fixed it (I was going by PJ64)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter