Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you remember tiddi girl?
I do :creep:
1675907144126.png

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Before Gameboy Advance SP we had no backlight.
We put those things in the sun and it ended up burning out the screen in the long run.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My fav combo was hitting "controller + hit".. :mellow:
Before Gameboy Advance SP we had no backlight.
Ah! the dark ages (literally)..
Post automatically merged:

Um, how about OUR LORD JESUS? :angry:

:rolleyes:

Videogames are poisoning our youth :angry:
Yea, and looking up to a dead man nailed on a cross with cuts & blood all over him isn't (for some reason).. :unsure:
Note: Not trying to stir up a religious debate..

Last edited by CoolMe,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
A giant influx of new collectors I'm recent years have been kids that were born or grew up after these old game been released originally and want a piece of that time. This seems to have been as much as a piece of inflation as older people with nostalgia. Which is fine, as long as they appreciate, make use and preserve their collection, though I must admit I have a pet peeve with some YouTubers that incentivize the consumerist aspect of it. I, myself have been guilty of the nostalgia factor, but didn't buy stuff at those crazy prices. Another great motivator that did affect me was the growing industry of improvement hardware mods for old consoles. The GBA scene, for instance, absolutely exploded in the beginning of the pandemic with IPS screen mods and other stuff, it allowed people to re-live that past but better.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A giant influx of new collectors I'm recent years have been kids that were born or grew up after these old game been released originally and want a piece of that time. This seems to have been as much as a piece of inflation as older people with nostalgia. Which is fine, as long as they appreciate, make use and preserve their collection, though I must admit I have a pet peeve with some YouTubers that incentivize the consumerist aspect of it. I, myself have been guilty of the nostalgia factor, but didn't buy stuff at those crazy prices. Another great motivator that did affect me was the growing industry of improvement hardware mods for old consoles. The GBA scene, for instance, absolutely exploded in the beginning of the pandemic with IPS screen mods and other stuff, it allowed people to re-live that past but better.

I'm not commenting on individual factors that led to the prices being what they are, but the fact is that prices of original hardware are now ranging somewhere between prohibitive and complete bullshit.

Emperor_Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not commenting on individual factors that led to the prices being what they are, but the fact is that prices of original hardware are now ranging somewhere between prohibitive and complete bullshit.
I'm lucky to already have a nearly full collection of consoles that I'd want (and yes, their pricing is getting ridiculous), though nothing stops the obscure games I find myself searching for having obscene prices. Most of that is growing up in a region that was generally behind the times in tech, so I'd score big out of yard sales where kids were selling all and everything to get the next new console.

A couple of years ago, retro gaming was still dirt cheap in a lot of areas. Nowadays, the only cheap things are stuff like no-name NES and PS2 games. Even the bootleg GBA carts are much pricer than they were. It's annoying, as outside of some indies and the occasional AA, most of what I play is on consoles over a decade old and a lot of the things I would get continue to climb in price.

I can't remember what I paid for a copy of Wing of Madoola, but I know it was too much. And that was 2 years ago.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k