The Nintendo Switch 2 has been delayed to 2025, according to reports

switch-2.jpg

The Nintendo Switch has had a dominant life as a hybrid console-handheld, enjoying success since its launch in 2017. However, late last year heard some rumblings that Nintendo was preparing to move onward to a successor to the Nintendo Switch. According to Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and other insider sources, development kits for a "Switch 2" had already been sent out to third-party devs, and rumors were claiming that the system would launch sometime in 2024.

Now, things have changed. While Nintendo was planning to launch the Switch 2 around late 2024, those same insider sources claim that due to some internal delays, the next-gen Nintendo console is targeting a Q1 2025 launch--similar to the original Switch, which launched in March 2017. VGC's sources state that the Switch 2 still plans on being a hybrid system, offering portable functionality, while Eurogamer corroborates VGC's statements, while additionally adding that the reasoning is so that the Switch 2 features as many launch titles as possible.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Switch
Switch 2.0 (Better Battery)
Switch OLED
Switch Lite

Man, that's way too many as it is. I guess they could release one called "Switch Mini" in that they'd somehow make it to the size of a GBA/3DS.
The Switch v2 already has a battery chip to improve the battery life, don't think we need another battery.

Mostly because no third-party dev wants to bother porting to a system with only 4GB of RAM.
Games should just run as fine on 4GB of RAM. Better performance would mean a new CPU and rewriting the graphics drivers to make it compatible.

Last edited by SylverReZ,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rarely take my switch out of the dock. I would rather a dedicated TV console that's more powerful/ that can run its games without problems and another dedicated handheld then a mix that can play its games kind of ok.
Agreed! But surely they're NOT interested in having games that run with good performance & visuals on their system, or making a dedicated a console that could handle those things for that matter.. They won't change the current business model with the start of the Switch 2, same issues will appear sometime down the line, if not from the get-go.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Games should just run as fine on 4GB of RAM. Better performance would mean a new CPU.
Well yeah, Steam Deck demonstrates that you can pack about four times as much power into the same form factor, but I don't think anybody is expecting Nintendo to utilize cutting-edge hardware across the board. RAM is extremely cheap, so there aren't many good excuses for not including more.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch
Switch 2.0 (Better Battery)
Switch OLED
Switch Lite

Man, that's way too many as it is. I guess they could release one called "Switch Mini" in that they'd somehow make it to the size of a GBA/3DS.
Reasonably, there should be an OLED version of the Lite.

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People complaining about new hardware should go back and play with the nes

Clearly innovation and better graphics is stupid
Dude, you was clearly born when the NES was dead by that point. :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: bazamuffin

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take this with a grain of salt. Based on all the latest rumors, I expect that Nintendo will reveal the system very soon but will aim for a holiday 2024 launch or Q1 2025 I think.

Reactions: ScaryHobbit

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given Nintendo's deal with nvidia for the graphics portion, I wouldnt be surprised if the delay was to compel Jensen to give Nintendo some rtx 50 silicon rather than a garbage tier 3050 6gb for the Switch 2.

Being perfectly blunt, even if the rtx 40 notebook stuff is faster than its equivalent Radeon part, it has left a mostly sour impression on me personally regarding the pc gaming space. Rtx 50 series has to knock it out of the park because everyone saw through Jensen's con of the 40 series only being better with dlss on.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, you was clearly born when the NES was dead by that point. :rofl2:
NES games were still in fact released after I was born

But it's a moot point because you're the one who thinks new hardware is dumb not me

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mostly because no third-party dev wants to bother porting to a system with only 4GB of RAM. Nintendo themselves could probably make due with 512MB.
With half for the menu as long as it doesn't have folders and themes

Also no reveal in march then .... Must be because they're holding Metroid Prime 4 hostage so they can be sure it looks good

Reactions: Xzi

SylverReZ

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But it's a moot point because you're the one who thinks new hardware is dumb not me
Both hardware can have their advantages and disadvantages. Take my word for it.

NES games were still in fact released after I was born
Well, the only last game released for the NES was The Lion King. People have moved onto more better consoles then. :P

Last edited by SylverReZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4