The Pokemon Company makes official statement regarding Palworld

aaa.png

From the moment that Palworld was publically unveiled, the comparisons of the game to Pokemon have been rampant. Despite that, Palworld's development team, Pocketpair, has stated that they're not concerned with any negative legal action, as the game is not infringing upon Pokemon, nor other IP copyrights. Meanwhile, the former legal team lead of The Pokemon Company expressed surprise at Palworld, saying he was surprised, "it got that far" when the game was released.

Further adding fuel to the fire was a Twitter user by the name of Byofrog, who began directly comparing Palworld models to Pokemon models, showing similarities between the two. While all of these comments and reactions have been from the public, Nintendo themselves haven't made any statement, until tonight. The Pokemon Company put out a short press release, specifically about Palworld. The full comment is as follows:

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

For now, there doesn't appear to be any immediate action that The Pokemon Company will take, but only time will tell if any sort of investigation leads to legal action.

:arrow: Source

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i must be the only person who doesnt think there are any similarities at all with pokemon.
Honestly i see very few look alike and that only if i ignore that that are the same IRL species as a base. Getting Real sick of GF and GF defenders.

-SV had 4 years of Dev time started in 2018-2022 still an empty game with huge holes of content missing and endless bugs and performance issues looking well under polished. All With Hundreds of Devs working "crunch".
-Has Creatures inc and a huge backlog of animations GF refuses to use (Bandai blew the lid after their interview on how good they had it working on New snap and Pokken and why they were able to finish Years before the deadline.)
-TPC is handling ALL marketing.
-Nintendo is Funding and waving Pub fees and sharing staff to use as needed. They also handle the legal Department and PR.

-Palworld has 5 Devs, a secondary school modeler, and a few artists and a 10K budget for the EA game they released.
-Pocket Pair only has 15 employees in total and the 10 others are working on the nonstop updates to Craftopia and a few other smaller games.
-The game started Dev work in late 2021 so at best a 26 month or 2 year 2 month dev cycle for this game. The Markcketing is near Zero with only YT vids Social media and ONE "trailer" a while ago at the in a PC indie sizzle reel.

What is GF's Excuse? There is NO Excuse any more... You know what I am dropping my Eevee Avatar So i wont be confused as one of those harassing stans.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i must be the only person who doesnt think there are any similarities at all with pokemon.
I don't know any of the names I just watches streamers play, but there is 1 pal that looks similar to Salamance, but more like a dragon jet with artillery. If anything pal models look overall better.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Investigate" all you want Nintendo, no reasonable judge is going to call anything in the game infringement. If they really thought there was a case there, they would've taken legal action when streamers started playing it several weeks before the release of early access. They're just angry about its success.

Only important thing for us is it fun? Or is it just enjoyable meme
It's fun almost to the point of being addictive. Spent the better part of the last couple days breeding a flying mount Pal with +50% movement speed, and I'm beyond excited for how much potential there is in PvP modes.

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Man, I've been with Pokémon since the very first games in 1995/1996, and have bought every single game and am generally a huge Pokémon fan in all ways (merch, cards, TV/Movies, etc.). But I also love Palworld as it does what Nintendon't and GameFreak is too lazy to do. If you're a Pokémon "fan" (turd, in my opinion and a massive normie, you know very little about Pokémon in reality) and go to scream at Nintendo about the existence of Palworld and threaten its developers: Fuck you, and I hope you get run over by a bus. You're the type of scum the earth needs far less of, and I can't put it in any nicer way or more bluntly. You're a disgrace to the human race and I hope you cease to exist, you do nothing but make this world worse with your fanboy behaviour which is what greedy corporations want, you corporate bootlicker. Eat some more soil you peasant.
Post automatically merged:

"Investigate" all you want Nintendo, no reasonable judge is going to call anything in the game infringement. If they really thought there was a case there, they would've taken legal action when streamers started playing it several weeks before the release of early access. They're just angry about its success.

It's fun almost to the point of being addictive. Spent the better part of the last couple days breeding a flying mount Pal with +50% movement speed, and I'm beyond excited for how much potential there is in PvP modes.
Exactly this, they're just super mad that it succeeded so much and that people are finally sick and tired of their lackluster Pokémon games and thus go on to support other games that give them what they want. It's a free market after all, Nintendo can do what they always do best: Nintendo'nt do anything.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Palword expects a 16 gig RAM minimum.

Palworld can play in a fire.
Gonna be the standard going forward for UE5 games, so might as well upgrade to 32GB now. Unlike other early UE5 games, however, Palworld performs really well for the amount of stuff going on onscreen at any given moment.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They had three years to investigate while this was in development. It also gave me a chuckle where they refer to "the pokemon" as if the pals are their property and they've already come to their conclusion. This statement coming out at all is just fuel for crappy clickbait articles and YouTube videos that clog up my screen while I'm trying to google where the merchant is that sells cold-resistant underwear.

Palword expects a 16 gig RAM minimum.

Palworld can play in a fire.
It's like $40 to get 16GB of RAM, which will be a useful upgrade for your entire PC not too far in the future.

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Now I wonder why we had to wait for that long until a company just copied the likeness of Pokémon. Sounds like the easiest thing to do : just chop off Pokémon parts, stick them together and voila, legally distinct creature you can add to your game.

• Haha
Reactions: donaldgx

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
NAL but right now I'm expecting teams of lawyers to be looking at this to determine if either the game is similar enough for a copyright dispute or determine if its close enough for a trademark dispute, or something.

Pokemon is partially owned by Nintendo after all.

Of course, we all know this isn't Pokemon and they dont own the 'mon' concept, but I wont be surprised to see at least one 'Facebook Karen' complain about 'that violent Pokemon game' and things like that might give Nintendo/Pokemon Co. ammunition, especially as trademark law is arguably worse than copyright law.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know any of the names I just watches streamers play, but there is 1 pal that looks similar to Salamance, but more like a dragon jet with artillery. If anything pal models look overall better.

i find that most pals that look "similar" have a similar color pallet but physically appear differently.

Honestly i see very few look alike and that only if i ignore that that are the same IRL species as a base. Getting Real sick of GF and GF defenders.

-SV had 4 years of Dev time started in 2018-2022 still an empty game with huge holes of content missing and endless bugs and performance issues looking well under polished. All With Hundreds of Devs working "crunch".
-Has Creatures inc and a huge backlog of animations GF refuses to use (Bandai blew the lid after their interview on how good they had it working on New snap and Pokken and why they were able to finish Years before the deadline.)
-TPC is handling ALL marketing.
-Nintendo is Funding and waving Pub fees and sharing staff to use as needed. They also handle the legal Department and PR.

-Palworld has 5 Devs, a secondary school modeler, and a few artists and a 10K budget for the EA game they released.
-Pocket Pair only has 15 employees in total and the 10 others are working on the nonstop updates to Craftopia and a few other smaller games.
-The game started Dev work in late 2021 so at best a 26 month or 2 year 2 month dev cycle for this game. The Markcketing is near Zero with only YT vids Social media and ONE "trailer" a while ago at the in a PC indie sizzle reel.

What is GF's Excuse? There is NO Excuse any more... You know what I am dropping my Eevee Avatar So i wont be confused as one of those harassing stans.

The thing is, theres a bigger problem here that no one wants to address, and its that GF is profiting off of mouth breathing diet coke enthusiasts, think francis, but not an act, i think those people really exist, and would genuinely buy a pokemon game of matsuda shitting into a cup, because it has pokemon on the label, its got nothing to do whats inside, its very much their next hit, i think thats why so many people are attacking the game.

It's like a mish mash of Pokemon design features, like how Mobile Legends copied some designs from League of Legends and made a mobile game (Wild Rift is several years late to the party).

again i think there are some where maybe if i were drunk id say " oh hey its that guy" but looking at it from a base perspective idk about that.

Reactions: Snintendog

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i find that most pals that look "similar" have a similar color pallet but physically appear differently.

The thing is, theres a bigger problem here that no one wants to address, and its that GF is profiting off of mouth breathing diet coke enthusiasts, think francis, but not an act, i think those people really exist, and would genuinely buy a pokemon game of matsuda shitting into a cup, because it has pokemon on the label, its got nothing to do whats inside, its very much their next hit, i think thats why so many people are attacking the game.

again i think there are some where maybe if i were drunk id say " oh hey its that guy" but looking at it from a base perspective idk about that.
There’s tons I can look at and say “oh hey that looks like X & Y smashed together”, but for singular mons? At best I can say Relaxasaur is a blue Goodra without the extra details.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pokemon has some of the dumbest, most toxic fans of any franchise on the planet. I help run a site and we have had 2 or 3 separate attempts of some idiot pretending to be working for Nintendo and trying to DMCA any Pokemon related content on the website. Needless to say if we get contacted by Nintendo from a gmail address we tend to not listen to them.
But that said I have full confidence some of the "fans" have done nothing else but spam Nintendo and Gamefreak with requests to kill Palworld because how dare someone make a better pokemon game.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
FYI that Byofrog guy on Twitter has apparently admitted to altering the comparison shots of Palworld to look more similar to Pokemon designs. Pretty neurotic even by Nintendo fanboy standards.
To be more specific, he scaled the models to be the same size. This is tweaking a single value and does aid comparison. In the event of the Palworld models actually being based on the Pokémon models, Palworld then shrinking or enlarging the final model by x% is a pretty trivial step and this just undoes it.

Like, if someone stole someone else's animation, made some edits on top, and sped it up 25%, it wouldn't be weird to reverse that for comparison to see how they otherwise line up.

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon has some of the dumbest, most toxic fans of any franchise on the planet. I help run a site and we have had 2 or 3 separate attempts of some idiot pretending to be working for Nintendo and trying to DMCA any Pokemon related content on the website. Needless to say if we get contacted by Nintendo from a gmail address we tend to not listen to them.
But that said I have full confidence some of the "fans" have done nothing else but spam Nintendo and Gamefreak with requests to kill Palworld because how dare someone make a better pokemon game.
I genuinely cannot fathom being so invested in Pokémon at this point. I once was invested fairly deeply into Pokémon but getting burned by USUM + SwSh killed the franchise for me. I saw how little Nintendo cared, so I followed suit. And it’s one thing as a casual enjoyer, but to commit perjury in an attempt to remove content that they feel TPC would want taken down? Hilarious.

I can only imagine how many illegal DMCAs Valve and PocketPair are receiving right now.

Reactions: Snintendog

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol