The Switch banning situation

error-code.jpg

Those that decide to hack their systems know that there's always the chance of either bricking, or banning. Many of those that installed CFW or installed unauthorized software onto their Nintendo 3DS systems faced an online ban, back in 2017. With exploits and modchips becoming the talk of the town, and the Switch scene progress in general, there's the growing question of "what about bans?".

It began with known Switch hacker Shiny Quagsire finding out that their Switch had been banned. That alone is shocking, but not only was one of their systems banned, but two. They received error code 2124-4007 on their alleged non-hacked Nintendo Switch.

The screen suggests users to contact Nintendo Support with the error code, which the user in question did. Below, are two alleged chat sessions regarding the error code.

DdwZn8mVQAIUzR9.jpg DdwYnApVAAA3-kb.jpg
One of the responses was that the ban would not be lifted, and that the End User License Agreement had been broken. This error code prevents those from accessing the eShop, online gaming, or the friend list and social aspects. Updating or patching one's game still functions, however.

ShinyQuagsire then attempted to play Splatoon 2, and successfully voted for a team during the Splatfest, but trying to play a match brought back the same error code once more, stating that online features were restricted by Nintendo. It was then revealed that the "unhacked" Switch had once run the Homebrew Launcher, as well as PegaSwitch, the latter of which is an exploit toolkit that can write custom code to the system.

Later, another Switch hacker, SciresM also spoke up about his own console getting banned. CDN was cited as a potential cause, though ShinyQuagsire wasn't so sure, as the last time they'd done anything regarding that was months ago, meaning Nintendo could have retroactively banned them, or is only going after them now.

CDN, "Content Distribution Network", as described by Nintendo themselves is

Nintendo said:
Content delivery network providers enable faster video streaming and support the delivery of content you have requested, e.g. when using Nintendo eShop, by using a system of distributed servers that deliver the content to you, based on your geographic location. We may therefore share your information (including your IP address) with our third party content delivery network providers that provide content delivery network services in connection with Nintendo Account Services, Nintendo Network and the official Nintendo website, some of which may act as third-party data processors only

CDN downloaders had been used to download content directly to a computer from Nintendo services, and currently, this is what is considered to have most likely caused the bans at this time. Shiny Quagsire also knows another user who had a Switch banned, which never used the Homebrew Launcher, but did access and mess with the CDN. At this time, only Switch hackers appear to have been affected, not the average user. If more information becomes available, this post will be updated to include such.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So like, if we are disconnected from wifi and are just looking to play offline games/homebrew we are in the clear correct? I'm about to mod my switch and want to be as safe as possible
Yup pretty much that's how it should be intended for use. TX themselves recommend that

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I mean. I should just wait and keep it stock? Let others make the mistake till a stealth solution is found. Now I'll admit it. I am getting the SX but purely for backups. I rather keep my games in their cases and on the shelves. And well hopefully get the neat extras like better emulation apps and such since Nintendo's not going to do virtual console anymore. Also frankly I rather have a localized Pokébank and saves. But the short message to this is this. WAIT AND SEE! Let someone else be the sacrificial pawn in this match against Nintendo.
That might be an "if", as in "if a stealth solution is found". There are ways to play it such that it is near impossible for the hackers to keep up (for a simple one then multiple firmwares tied say to a unique part of the device (if the serial ends with 1 then use this firmware, 0 then the other, obviously you can expand that, anybody using the wrong serial is obviously a hacker), a bunch of obfuscated checks, prebake a bunch of firmware "updates" (same firmware, just different locations) and issue the new firmwares every 7 days or so, equally don't ban everybody that failed checks and only ban after a few hours unless you have a wave of cheats dogging a game).
Whether Nintendo will actually do that I don't know (such things take a proper will to do something and Nintendo does not historically have that).

Still.
You hack, you risk online. This has been true for decades -- I am sure you could find someone banned from a MUD for that sort of thing.
You use early stage hacks where people are more concerned with getting things working, you definitely risk the online play capabilities.

Inb4 people saying that they were banned unjustly.
Too late
https://gbatemp.net/threads/people-dont-like-us.504940/

Reactions: Yepi69

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Let me put this simple for everyone.

IF you use HOMEBREW of any kind. You are ALWAYS at risk. The console as soon as you launch any HOMEBREW, it's broken the ToS and is facing a ban risk.
IF you wanna stay SAFE. NEVER EVER use any HOMEBREW. Use it as intended, pay for your games, pay for your online and enjoy it. RIsk of getting banned then is next to null.

Stop asking for "If I do this, will I be safe?" The answer is No, you are never safe!

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me be more clear, if I want to say use the stock firmware when I want to play online/buy games but use cfw when offline, will I get banned?
You'll never get a straight answer b/c we don't know how Nintendo checks everything, Honestly I'd remove the SD card with the hacks entirely if I'd go back to stock mode, but you should be fine theoretically offline b/c their services are cut off from your activities.
It's a risk we all take using our main accounts on a hacked system, getting a 2nd switch for cfw would remedy the fear of ban

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Can't spell

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't mean you'll be any more safer when Atmosphere is out. The very same person releasing Atmosphere is one of the 2 banned victims. 2 devs got banned for doing dev level activities

So completely disable WiFi/remove the WiFi connection settings from the Switch and you won't get banned. Can't ban a console that isn't connected to the internet. People should have known what would happen. This is nothing new. If your console has CFW, mods, etc of any kind, DO NOT GO ONLINE. How freaking hard is that for people to comprehend?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So completely disable WiFi/remove the WiFi connection settings from the Switch and you won't get banned. Can't ban a console that isn't connected to the internet. People should have known what would happen. This is nothing new. If your console has CFW, mods, etc of any kind, DO NOT GO ONLINE. How freaking hard is that for people to comprehend?
Yeah all the more reason he shouldn't have to wait for Atmosphere to be out just b/c 2 ppl got banned for doing things online mainly devs probably experimenting things. Ppl assume an official release of something guarantees safety the risks aren't going to change is what i'm pointing out your just waiting on a comfort zone to install a hack. Am I being educated on how offline hacks work when I own a JB PS3 for 5 years without ban... hmm interesting notion. I literally said the same thing about offline above your comment man.

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Update

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
let me be more clear, if I want to say use the stock firmware when I want to play online/buy games but use cfw when offline, will I get banned?

Chances are you still won't be safe if your Switch is keeping a log of your activities that gets sent to Nintendo when you go online with the stock firmware.

So completely disable WiFi/remove the WiFi connection settings from the Switch and you won't get banned. Can't ban a console that isn't connected to the internet.

Although doing so is pretty much the same as being banned. :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chances are you still won't be safe if your Switch is keeping a log of your activities that gets sent to Nintendo when you go online with the stock firmware.

Although doing so is pretty much the same as being banned. :)

Then what are people supposed to do, not use their Switch? :rolleyes:

Yeah all the more reason he shouldn't have to wait for Atmosphere to be out just b/c 2 ppl got banned for doing things online mainly devs probably experimenting things. Ppl assume an official release of something guarantees safety the risks aren't going to change is what i'm pointing out your just waiting on a comfort zone to install a hack. Am I being educated on how offline hacks work when I own a JB PS3 for 5 years without ban... hmm interesting notion.

By all means, wait till it comes out and try going online without a ban.

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One little thing I'm questioning: apparently someone is saying that if you had an account that got banned on a 3ds, and you use the same e-mail for a Nintendo account, that you're getting banned.
I don't believe this is true, but maybe it depends on the severity and type of ban. I got the regular LFCS ban on my 3DS. Switch was bought and setup after this, currently updated to latest FW and still works fine.

D

Deleted User

Let me put this simple for everyone.

IF you use HOMEBREW of any kind. You are ALWAYS at risk. The console as soon as you launch any HOMEBREW, it's broken the ToS and is facing a ban risk.
IF you wanna stay SAFE. NEVER EVER use any HOMEBREW. Use it as intended, pay for your games, pay for your online and enjoy it. RIsk of getting banned then is next to null.

Stop asking for "If I do this, will I be safe?" The answer is No, you are never safe!
Heck, that disclaimer was practically beaten into everyone's heads during the 3DS Scene, I saw people everywhere saying something to that effect.

Then again, Hacking and Homebrew scenes seem to have always had a problem with people who lack basic reading comprehension.

Reactions: AdamFX990

TheWolfLord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Nintendo bans people who have modded their consoles, and prevents access to Eshop, will that consequently prevent or slow the release of pirated dlc? I feel like that might be their best(only) net gain by closing off the avenue for potential sales on the eshop to those who they have hit.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
i guess it's there first time modding and don't know the dangers of modding a console
I'm also surprised the switch hackers don't monitor the network traffic to see if they can find out how Nintendo is detecting the bans through the outgoing metadata.

Reactions: Darksabre72

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really hoping this has to do with the CDN stuff and they're just being over cautious about network penetration and/or modding games, free shop etc. and not the actual playing of games otherwise All this is going to do is cause a rash of return fraud when the pirates can't play online
Just like it did with the 360 and others

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then what are people supposed to do, not use their Switch? :rolleyes:

That doesn't even make sense in the context of anything. It was asked if it would be safe to use cfw offline, then switch to stock fw and go online. I said probably not if there are logs being sent. Then I stated that not going online is nearly the same as being banned. Don't go online = can't use eShop or play online. Ban = can't use eShop or play online. See what I'm saying? If you are never going to go online again for fear of a ban, then why even care about being banned? What does not using their Switch have to do with anything? LOL

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't even make sense in the context of anything. It was asked if it would be safe to use cfw offline, then switch to stock fw and go online. I said probably not if there are logs being sent. Then I stated that not going online is nearly the same as being banned. Don't go online = can't use eShop or play online. Ban = can't use eShop or play online. See what I'm saying? If you are never going to go online again for fear of a ban, then why even care about being banned? What does not using their Switch have to do with anything? LOL

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...